The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
Dave'

Default 02-07-2008, 08:33 PM

Stoneham - A trend that began years ago is back in use by youngsters in our area.

Cough syrup and other cold remedies have been flying off the shelves at local pharmacies so fast that pharmacists in some areas will question young people who want to purchase more than one bottle. Both medicines are giving users a mellow, slow and sometimes foggy feeling similar to PCP and can quickly become addictive.

It has been known that teens that abuse these over the counter remedies often end up in hospital emergency rooms. As recently as this week two teens from New Hampshire overdosed on these types of medications. These remedies are often found in home medicine cabinets and parents are unaware of this threat.

Kids who are buying these are too young to purchase alcohol or unable to get marijuana or other similar drugs. These over the counter medicines are cheap, legal, easy to obtain and no one would ordinarily question a youth with a bottle in his/her possession.

Over the counter abuse of medicines are not only limited to these two cold remedies. Doctors and pharmacists have traced the appeal of cough syrups to a drug called dextromethorphan (DXM). DMX is found as an ingredient in 135 medicines and is structurally related to PCP. Four or more ounces of this substance can cause hallucinations or feelings of disorientation. This is known as “brain fuzz” where one cannot put words together for a conversation. In 2002 alone, the Massachusetts Poison Control Center documented 1,048 calls for the misuse of this drug.

Parents should realize that any and all contents of their home medicine cabinets are potential threats to youngsters. All medicines should be carefully monitored and stored safely.

Remember — Think safety!

http://www.wickedlocal.com/stoneham/news/l...sts/x1703682999
(#2)
Old
mudpeople Online
Flothing at the moulth

My Mood: Pensive
Default 02-08-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
It has been known that teens that abuse these over the counter remedies often end up in hospital emergency rooms.
And it sure doesn't help, seeing 'trip reports' on here talking about individuals' ER visits. Cmon kids, don't be another statistic.

Quote:
Four or more ounces of this substance can cause hallucinations or feelings of disorientation.
4 ounces of DXM is quite a lot... Hahaha...

Quote:
This is known as “brain fuzz” where one cannot put words together for a conversation.
"You gotta be crazy on acid to think a joint looks like a goddamn cockroach."

Where do they get these 'slang terms' anyway?

"Some men see things as they are and say why... I dream of things that never were and say why not." - George Bernard Shaw
(#3)
Old
Bhikku Offline
ॐ ಠ_ಠ ̷̫͚̬ͣ́̆͛͛͛ͥͨ̇́̀d̰͎̥

My Mood: Amused
Default 02-08-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mudpeople@Feb 7 2008, 11:31 PM

4 ounces of DXM is quite a lot... Hahaha...

It is?

Oh, wait. DXM.... ok, i thought that you meant four ounces of cough syrup. lolz

..../DXM

(#4)
Old
mudpeople Online
Flothing at the moulth

My Mood: Pensive
Default 02-08-2008, 01:40 AM

Heh, yeah 4oz of Dextromethorphan HBr rather than zyzzyrp. Podunk reporters FTL.

"Some men see things as they are and say why... I dream of things that never were and say why not." - George Bernard Shaw
(#5)
Old
Bhikku Offline
ॐ ಠ_ಠ ̷̫͚̬ͣ́̆͛͛͛ͥͨ̇́̀d̰͎̥

My Mood: Amused
Default 02-08-2008, 01:47 AM

Well it is better written than most DXM news articles.

(#6)
Old
Howard Beale Offline

Default 02-08-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bhikku@Feb 8 2008, 01:47 AM
Well it is better written than most DXM news articles.
Relatively speaking.

Quote:
...a drug called dextromethorphan (DXM). DMX is found as an ingredient...
Judging from the quality of these articles, I'm led to believe that newb journalists are given dreadfully boring cough syrup article assignments to "cut their teeth" on. Seriously, it's hack journalism and usually doesn't involve much more than setting up an interview with the local Chief of Pigs or one of his toadies. In this particular article, the writer apparently didn't even feel that was necessary. Preferring to simply cite no sources whatsoever, we are expected to simply take his word at face value, plus a vague statistic from Poison Control. (EDIT: aha, the author of this particular piece is a pig. The journalism is still awful, though.)

The editors must give it about a 5 second glance to make sure it isn't a total piece of shit, before rushing it off to press. This is the only explanation I can think up for all these glaringly obvious spelling, grammar, context and factual errors coming from these so-called "professional" journalists. The editors truly don't give a shit about these cough syrup articles. They are sensationalist "filler" and substitute for actual news.

As for the slang terms, it's probably safe to say that most of these get invented on the spot by ignorant reporters or police who want to come across as though they actually have some insight or street sense. A quick Google + UrbanDictionary search suggests that basically nobody has ever thought of using the term "brain fuzz" in connection with DXM, before this journalist pulled it out of his ass and splattered it onto this article.

</span><table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id=\'QUOTE\'>Well I'm not going to leave you alone. I want you to get MAD!</td></tr></table><span class=\'signature\'>