The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdĒv€

Default 04-27-2006, 09:43 AM

The slang terms include "Orange Crush" and "Triple C." They describe over-the-counter cold medicines such as Coricidin, which consumed at overdosing levels by teenagers, elicit toxic, hallucinogenic highs.

In the past month, two teenage boys were hospitalized after overdosing on the over-the counter cold medicine, said Steve Maxwell, El Dorado County deputy chief probation officer.

Although it has been on the national radar screen for years, authorities and school officials are warning parents about the dangerous trend that teens have embraced from coast to coast, and the problems associated with it. Authorities say the abuse may be wider than the two boys who went to the hospital.

"We are recognizing that several other minors that we supervise may have a problem with this," Maxwell said

Coricidin offers "cold and flu relief" in red pills. It also contains the cough-suppressant ingredient dextromethorphan which can induce hallucinations and body highs when taken in large quantities, such as 15 or 20 pills, Maxwell said. Other cold medicines such as Robitussin contain dextromethorphan or DXM.

Overdoses can also induce a loss of motor skills, an irregular heartbeat, seizures and a loss of consciousness, Maxwell said.

Tahoe Youth and Family Services has known about the problem for years while dealing with teenagers with drug issues, said Program Coordinator Cindy Swalm.

"For some kids that's their drug of choice," Swalm said.

Teenagers between 13 to 16 years old are the main age group known for abusing the on-the-counter drug, Swalm said. The term "Orange Crush" is given to the drug trip since teenagers often wretch the red pills to induce the high.

"I know, it's gross," Swalm said.

According to a 2004 article by the New York Times, 2,523 calls arrived in poison-control centers from the "abuse and misuse" of dextromethorphan in 2000. More than 60 percent of the 2,523 calls involved teenagers, the article stated.

Three years later, the number had almost doubled to 4,382 with almost 75 percent of the calls involving teenagers, according to the article.

Numbers were attained through the American Association of Poison Control Centers' Toxic Exposure Surveillance System.

For its part, the company that makes Coricidin has acknowledged it's dangers if abused. Its Web site has a link for parents and professionals to learn strategies in curbing the possibility of abuse by teenagers.

Included in the section is a letter by Phillipe Cunningham, a drug abuse expert and assistant professor at the Medical University of South Carolina.

In his letter Cunningham provided five tips for parents to stop Coricidin abuse from happening.

But just as important is being aware of what types of substances are abused by adolescents.

"It is widely known that teens sometimes turn to illicit drugs like marijuana, ecstasy and methamphetamine to get high," Cunningham wrote. "But if you're like most parents, you're probably not aware that a number of over-the-counter products are also abused by teens."

Part of the drug's allure is its accessibility and cheap cost, officials said. For less than $10 a person can go to most supermarkets and buy Coricidin HBP, which contains dextromethorphan.

Swalm said she's been on a "personal rampage" for stores to place Coricidin behind the counter. Other cold medicine brands such as Sudafed have been put off the counter and regulated for sale because of it being a main ingredient in making methamphetamine.

One chain that has placed Coricidin behind the counter is Rite Aid. Bob Chan, pharmacy manager at the South Lake Tahoe branch, said a majority of cold medicine brands has been taken off the shelves.

Similar to cold medicines that are used for methamphetamine production, purchasers of Coricidin HBP must provide proof of age and will be limited in the number of packages they are able to buy.

Chan said Friday and Saturday nights usually bring at least one seeker of the cold medicine whose motive might be to abuse the drug.

"At least they have to come to the pharmacy to get it," Chan said.

Some South Tahoe High School students knew of the highs brought on by cough medicine. One concoction includes the mixture of Robitussin and alcohol such as vodka.

"It's like the gangster version of moonshine," said senior Rey Sanchez.

"It's supposed to be purple and thick," said Franky Meza, also a senior.

"It's a lame thing to do I'll tell you that," Meza added. "You have to be pretty desperate to get high on cough medicine."

Other students echoed Meza's sentiment. Junior Coral Warren said abusing cough medicine is for the "younger crowd."

"It tastes disgusting," she said. "The whole thing seems funny to me."

One person concerned about the trend is El Dorado County Assistant District Attorney Hans Uthe. The prosecutor has seen several youths in juvenile court who cited cough medicine abuse. Uthe said he's worried about teenagers abusing the medicine and pairing it with other drugs. Six months ago, Uthe said, he hadn't heard of Coricidin abuse.

"This is something that wouldn't strike most parents as something to be concerned about," he said, adding, "It's just one more thing for parents to deal with I suppose."

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/apps/pbcs...mplate=printart
(#2)
Old
rabit Offline
In the Alembic

Default 04-27-2006, 10:31 AM

Par for the cours, boy that corciden really takes the heat off the good stuff though. I could give a shit if they got rid of that except it seems to have great use as a scapegoat.
(#3)
Old
the answer Offline

Default 04-27-2006, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Authorities say the abuse may be wider than the two boys who went to the hospital.
Ya think?
Quote:
Yep
Quote:
Some South Tahoe High School students knew of the highs brought on by cough medicine. One concoction includes the mixture of Robitussin and alcohol such as vodka.

"It's a lame thing to do I'll tell you that," Meza added. "You have to be pretty desperate to get high on cough medicine."
hahaha That is by far the best part of the article especialy the last quote.

I wonder how soon dxm will be in dare programs?

I keep fussin cuz i cant down that tussin.
(#4)
Old
rabit Offline
In the Alembic

Default 04-27-2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by the answer@Apr 27 2006, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Authorities say the abuse may be wider than the two boys who went to the hospital.
Ya think?
Quote:
Yep
Quote:

hahaha That is by far the best part of the article especialy the last quote.

I wonder how soon dxm will be in dare programs?
DARE, ha, ha drugs are excellent , ever seen that spoof bumper sticker, they always used to sell those at Dead shows
(#5)
Old
rabit Offline
In the Alembic

Default 04-27-2006, 10:54 PM

Something just came to mind with this corciden deal. I dont think its really the DXM that these kids physiologically breaking down on. It is the other active uhh cloroformmaleate or whatever it's called. I tried the 3c's once and it's that shit that makes you speed pretty nasty. I could see how people o.d. or die on it.
(#6)
Old
Migbee Offline
pass the glass

My Mood: Yeehaw
Default 04-28-2006, 02:41 AM

who the fuck mixes vodka and tussin

The active ingredient in some common cold and cough medications is dextromethorphan or DXM. That's what makes kids high.
(#7)
Old
o-O Offline
Your mother's keeper

Default 04-28-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:

who the fuck mixes vodka and tussin
Maybe they are making a bungled reference to an extraction of dxm using alcohol as the delivery agent. Somehow I doubt it. Stupid kids prob would mix vodka and robotussin.

<&furrytomato> krepta: life? is fine, peanutlog
(#8)
Old
the answer Offline

Default 04-28-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
DARE, ha, ha drugs are excellent , ever seen that spoof bumper sticker, they always used to sell those at Dead shows
I dont see how that would really work. would you use the "ar" for are? Not a very good spoof if you aske me. But i wish i had been to a dead show.

(#9)
Old
rabit Offline
In the Alembic

Default 04-29-2006, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by the answer@Apr 28 2006, 01:24 PM
Quote:
I dont see how that would really work. would you use the "ar" for are? Not a very good spoof if you aske me. But i wish i had been to a dead show.
Yeah the shows were a land mark of my life I feel very lucky to have had this.Even though I was young and not sure about what my life was gonna be all about I new I had to see those shows.So I dropped everything and just started seeing shows !!
yeah the dare spoof doesnt work perfectly but it looks cool on the bumper sticker.
(#10)
Old
the answer Offline

Default 04-29-2006, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rabit+Apr 28 2006, 11:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rabit @ Apr 28 2006, 11:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--the answer@Apr 28 2006, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Yeah the shows were a land mark of my life I feel very lucky to have had this.Even though I was young and not sure about what my life was gonna be all about I new I had to see those shows.So I dropped everything and just started seeing shows !!
yeah the dare spoof doesnt work perfectly but it looks cool on the bumper sticker. [/b][/quote]
lucky as fuck