The Dextroverse

DXM-related News Dextromethorphan-related news. This particular section is publicly viewable. Feel free to post comments.

(#1)
Old
drdĒv€

Default 05-16-2007, 07:39 PM

(CBS/AP) RIVERHEAD, N.Y. Suffolk County lawmakers are tackling teen drug abuse -- of cold medicine.

They've passed a law banning anyone under 19 from buying over-the-counter cough and cold medicines containing dextro-meth-orphan -- commonly known as DXM.

The measure now goes to County Executive Steve Levy for his consideration. Backers say it may be the first law of its kind in the country.

Local youth and drug counselors have warned that a growing number of teens are abusing the cold medicines, in what's sometimes called "robotripping" or "skittling." Counselors say it can cause brain damage and even death in kids aged 12 to 15.

The law would make it a violation to sell the medicines intentionally to anyone underage. Fines would start at 250 dollars.

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_1..._136095314.html
(#2)
Old
Scynne Offline
Bricolage

My Mood: Brooding
Default 05-16-2007, 09:35 PM

A ) I love how they hyphenated 'dextro-meth-orphan'
B ) What is this term 'skittling' that ALL news articles about DXM mention? I've never heard it, and I spend time on a DXM board. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention.

Can you trust your god enough to put your mp3 player on shuffle?
(#3)
Old
Companion Cube Offline
Krystal

My Mood: Dexed
Default 05-16-2007, 09:52 PM

skittling is taking CCC's

why 19 not 18 what if your kicked out at 18, live alone, and have a cold?

How come they imply that brain damage only occours from ages 12-15? Sounds like a fabricated statistic made to inspire fear.

<span style=\'font-size:9pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'font-family:Geneva\'><span style=\'color:red\'> your an odd one cube, and thats saying somin, being considered odd within the DV -Roboking</span></span></span>
<span style=\'color:green\'>Yea im a myspace whore now http://www.myspace.com/xanticitizenonex</span>
<span style=\'colorurple\'>Companion Cube, without even meaning to, you've helped me through some bad trips. I'll be having a bad trip and then I'll look at the compooter and say, "Oh goodness! A Companion Cube!" and I feel all better and it keeps me sane.
-orwell1984</span>
(#4)
Old
BOY_MEATER Offline
NO ONE UNDERSTANDS ME

Default 05-16-2007, 11:49 PM

good thing I'm 17.

(#5)
Old
Arm Offline
Robotard

Default 05-17-2007, 03:48 AM

First the dxm bans were 18, now they are 19. Then they will raise the cough suppression age to 21 like alcohol. Imagine the drug store people explaining that to people.
(#6)
Old
Phion Offline
beauty in brevity

Default 05-17-2007, 08:43 AM

It's only a matter of time, it seems.

(#7)
Old
TravisJ Offline

Default 05-17-2007, 04:09 PM

To me it almost seems more and more that they are turning DXM into a legitimate drug(not that I don't already consider it one). I mean, if they make it age 21, it will rival alcohol in age, it already beats tobacco, so, what does that really say to people? Hey if you're old enough, go get some cough medicine and trip.

It would be the equivilent of people calling alcohol the "Liquid pain killer".

It really makes me wonder, maybe soon enough Nascar will be sponsored by robitussin, and you will see all kinds of funky commercials marketing DXM as a kool thing to people 21 and over.

Who knows.
(#8)
Old
Omega_Switch Offline
Dextroverse Guru

Default 05-17-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TravisJ@May 17 2007, 03:09 PM
It really makes me wonder, maybe soon enough Nascar will be sponsored by robitussin, and you will see all kinds of funky commercials marketing DXM as a kool thing to people 21 and over.

Who knows.
Hahahaha yeah, that would be amazing. Well... it would suck for those of us under the age of 21, but at least it would give us the security that DXM will not be made into an illegal substance or obtainable through prescription only. And plus, they'd come out with some pretty twacked-out commercials .

http://www.last.fm/user/Omega_Switch22B
(#9)
Old
Companion Cube Offline
Krystal

My Mood: Dexed
Default 05-18-2007, 12:47 AM

theres no reason to go abouve 18 because 99% of ppl that care just dont want their kids taking it. I can see it becoming prescription only wayy before it becomes 21+

<span style=\'font-size:9pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'font-family:Geneva\'><span style=\'color:red\'> your an odd one cube, and thats saying somin, being considered odd within the DV -Roboking</span></span></span>
<span style=\'color:green\'>Yea im a myspace whore now http://www.myspace.com/xanticitizenonex</span>
<span style=\'colorurple\'>Companion Cube, without even meaning to, you've helped me through some bad trips. I'll be having a bad trip and then I'll look at the compooter and say, "Oh goodness! A Companion Cube!" and I feel all better and it keeps me sane.
-orwell1984</span>
(#10)
Old
Arm Offline
Robotard

Default 05-22-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TravisJ@May 17 2007, 02:09 PM
To me it almost seems more and more that they are turning DXM into a legitimate drug(not that I don't already consider it one). I mean, if they make it age 21, it will rival alcohol in age, it already beats tobacco, so, what does that really say to people? Hey if you're old enough, go get some cough medicine and trip.

It would be the equivilent of people calling alcohol the "Liquid pain killer".

Who knows.
Nah it would probably just be made illegal.