The Dextroverse

The Dextroverse (http://dextroverse.org/forums/index.php)
-   DXM-related News (http://dextroverse.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Kid's Drug Secrets (http://dextroverse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49777)

torque 04-30-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Kids' Drug Secrets
Reporting
Jim Osman
PHILADELPHIA (CBS 3) ― It is a legal drug that might be found in your medicine cabinet. You use it to alleviate cough and cold symptoms but some teens are abusing it and getting high.

Our I-Team Investigative Reporter Jim Osman discovered this teen drug secret after an impassioned plea from one Bucks County mother.

The videos are all over YouTube showing teens acting goofy. At first it may look like they are just fooling around, but the more you watch, the more bizarre it gets.

Even in their deluded state teens know what their parents don't. They know about a common drug that could be in your medicine cabinet. The active ingredient in some common cold and cough medications is dextromethorphan or DXM. That's what makes kids high.

It's hard for Bucks County mom Lynn Chrupalyk as she looks at photos of her daughter teenaged Hillary.

"My daughter has always been a happy kid, very creative," said Lynn.

Her little girl who used to play with stuffed animals and sit on Santa's lap grew into a teen harboring a dark secret.

When I asked her, "What happened to that little girl," Lynn become emotional.

"I don't know, I think getting involved with the wrong crowd of children," she said.

Lynn, who waits tables at a Bristol restaurant, got a startling phone call recently. Her daughter Hillary had been arrested for stealing a Robitussin, a cough medication, at a Croydon pharmacy.

"Even the police at the police station were scratching their heads like what's the sense of Robitussin," said Lynn trying to understand how a cough medicine could get kids high.

But Hillary was hooked on it says her mom. Cough medicines with DXM when taken in large enough doses can produce hallucinations.

Lynn, who is a single mom, feared for her daughter's safety and put her in drug rehab.

"It just made me think if I didn't have her put away, she could've died if I waited another day or two, you know she could have overdosed."

18-year-old Derrick has been in DayTop's drug rehab facility in Mendham, New Jersey for eight months. He too got addicted to DXM.

"I started involuntary muscle control, I couldn't control what I was saying, blacked out," that's how Derrick describes the high.

"It turned me into like a monster," said Derrick.

"I thought that only it was hurting myself, I realize it was hurting everybody around me," he said.

He said his cough medicine addiction tore his father and mother apart.

"He having to see his son all tripped out, all doped up and everything. I'm sure it made him sad," said Derrick.

Ian Gershman is a drug counselor at DayTop. He says those YouTube videos show obvious signs there's an addiction problem. But there may be other signs that may not be as obvious.

"Sometimes we see stealing money or articles that the kids own like the iPods, or the Gameboys may start to disappear. They may start to sell them," said Gershman.

For Hillary, her DXM drug craze came to a head on Valentine's Day. That's when Lynn had to show her daughter just how much she loved her, by forcefully committing her to drug rehab.

"She broke my heart and I told her that. Now she understands", says Lynn.

There are more than 100 'over the counter medications' that contain DXM. And unlike some drugs that are placed behind the counter in pharmacies, cough medications containing DXM are placed on shelves for teens to freely purchase.

If you have any of these products in your house, a good piece of advice: Don't store them in the medicine cabinet.

agentlemon 04-30-2008 09:09 AM

I really wish we could take all those stupid video's of youtube. And seriously, people grow up, just because she "used to play with stuff animal" has absolutely no bearing on who she is now. Her mom needs to let got of who she wants her daughter to be and start dealing with who her daughter is.

jaytown 04-30-2008 12:06 PM

I think they should take some of the dxm videos off of youtube. Just some of them, it gives people the wrong impression.

HoodHop 04-30-2008 12:29 PM

i dont get how dxm turn someone into a monster. its not that addicting also. rehab? for dxm? i think the girl just needs something to do rather then nothing and so she does dxm.

WMW 04-30-2008 01:00 PM

You cant really blame her mom for freaking out. I have to blame the daughter for not researching it and not just bull shitting the police on its use. why not just say she has a cold and didnt have money or ID for it.

And I dont think i would ever sell any of my shit for cough syrup. cokes a different story lol.

Stupid teenagers

anarKhan 04-30-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jaytown@Apr 30 2008, 11:06 AM
I think they should take some of the dxm videos off of youtube. Just some of them, it gives people the wrong impression.
Who should? The corporation behind YouTube? You're saying that one of the few major open-source DIY sites out there should start censoring content that doesn't reflect well on your nasty habit?

Bhikku 04-30-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

RAWRZZ!1! I iz monster!!!1! Me doez Extractionz, RAWR!!!1

tsolless 04-30-2008 05:50 PM

"trying to understand how a cough medicine could get kids high."

It's a drug you dumbass. That's how. Just like your coffee. (Yes, I know coffee can't make you "high")

dianne 04-30-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bhikku@Apr 30 2008, 02:37 PM
Quote:

This has to be an ending in the (someday) choose our own adventure (which I haven't worked on yet).

I wouldn't sell my fucking ipod to get dxm. I've been using for what like 7+ years, I'm not addicted. I use it when I feel like it, usually a few months in between.

I mean right now it's been a while, I've wanted to but just holding off until it feels right.

These kids don't need REHAB, they need PARENTS who PAY ATTENTION.

dextromancer 05-01-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bhikku@Apr 30 2008, 03:37 PM
Quote:

eat them up yum yum o_0

Quote:

I wouldn't sell my fucking ipod to get dxm.
i got rid of two morphine pills for an ipod once... they cost me two dollars each. was totally worth the trade ( ((d-_-b)) )

//.The_Unforgiven 05-01-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

"I don't know, I think getting involved with the wrong crowd of children,"
LOL PEDO HARHAR.

No really though, YOU DO THE DRUG. DXM doesn't force YOU to shoplift, so you, bearing the risks, get caught on your OWN account.

DXM is a chemical. Not a mystical-fucking-spirit.

"The DXM made me do it."

Sure it did, Johnny, sure it did. :magnus_grey:

Walkaway 05-01-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

DXM is a chemical. Not a mystical-fucking-spirit.
The two categories aren't mutually exclusive. :P

Bhikku 05-01-2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dextromancer@May 1 2008, 01:37 PM
was totally worth the trade ( ((d-_-B)) )
How did you get that backwards b? :P

ganja 05-02-2008 06:12 PM

kids these days.... they're so fucked up. who drinks robotussin anyhow?

allegra 05-02-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by torque@Apr 30 2008, 07:52 AM
you know she could have overdosed."
[/quote]
O NOES!!!

chella 05-02-2008 07:49 PM

@.@ WeIrD @.@ wOrLd WeIrD wOrLd @.@

SonOfRasputin 05-03-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jaytown@Apr 30 2008, 11:06 AM
This is an interesting statement.

I don't direct this at you. Your words moved me to put this.

So maybe anyone who thinks this can see how God would like some preachers to rightly represent him, because it gives people the wrong impression (in my zeal I am guilty of this).

People can't see the good in DXM, it's clouded by misuse. People can't see the good in God, he's clouded by misrepresentation.

But like dxm, you get all or nothing. You get it for yourself, but you have to accept the ugliness that comes with it. DXM was given to all of us (I couldn't handle it), not just a strong sect of prophets who mandate rules of usage and ordinances as to what is and isn't acceptable. God is going to keep DXM here for those who are thankful for it. If anyone is not thankful, wouldn't it be right to take it as a cue that DXM is not needed? Thank God for DXM.

I'm glad God accepts me and all of my ugliness, and does not condemn me when I, in my ignorance, make God look foolish or ugly.
I'm glad those kids got to partake of DXM, something that we have all partook of, and that they have the freedom to post videos on youtube. I didn't know what DXM would do to me, I took it on faith; Neither did those kids know what DXM would do to them.

We all knew only that DXM was considered a good thing by others, and we trusted their testimony.

Howard Beale 05-03-2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jaytown+Apr 30 2008, 11:06 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jaytown @ Apr 30 2008, 11:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I think they should take some of the dxm videos off of youtube. Just some of them, it gives people the wrong impression. [/b]

I think that some of those videos should be taken off Youtube simply because they are shitty videos that are severely lacking any sort of entertaining, informative, or thought provoking content whatsoever. Waste of good bandwidth, waste of the valuable time people spend watching them, waste of the photons coming out of your monitor and hitting your eyes as you watch the drugged idiocy unfold.

It's a good thing I don't have a hand in running Youtube, or there would end up being very few videos left on that site :winking_hitler:

<!--QuoteBegin--Major Tom
@Apr 30 2008, 03:29 PM
Who should? The corporation behind YouTube? You're saying that one of the few major open-source DIY sites out there should start censoring content that doesn't reflect well on your nasty habit?[/quote]

QFT. Kids will get high, kids will post retarded videos of themselves high, kids will not be in violation of Youtube's ToS for posting retarded videos of themselves high, kids will keep posting the videos and there really isn't much that can (or should) be done about it because it would set a nasty precedent for censoring any content that happens to cast an activity in a negative light.

Quote:

kids these days.... they're so fucked up. who drinks robotussin anyhow?
:parinoid:
WASNT ME

VagueReality 05-04-2008 02:55 PM

To a former poster, anything can be addicting or habit forming if it is pleasurable to someone, including masturbation, energy drinks, or ripping ones hair out. Different people different addictions. But really, I used to wear diapers and crawled on the floor, does that mean dextromethorphan took my sweet little angel self away? No, kids grow up you stupid mother, and being emotional is a normal teen thing, not an addiction problem.

simon 05-04-2008 06:45 PM

There may be an ingredient in your fried chicken called "fat." This substance can be what is the devilish secret behind your child being a fatass. Fatass people are a danger to themselves and cost taxpayers untold billions. Check your child's room for tell-tale signs such as crumbs of breading beneath their pilow. Common fat products such as one fatass child interviewed mentioned: "Oreos" are sold from vending machines owned by Arabs.

VagueReality 05-10-2008 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by simon@May 4 2008, 05:45 PM
There may be an ingredient in your fried chicken called "fat." This substance can be what is the devilish secret behind your child being a fatass. Fatass people are a danger to themselves and cost taxpayers untold billions. Check your child's room for tell-tale signs such as crumbs of breading beneath their pilow. Common fat products such as one fatass child interviewed mentioned: "Oreos" are sold from vending machines owned by Arabs.
Nice quote :pr0zac:

In my siggy for sure

Avaddon 05-11-2008 07:49 PM

Quote:

"I started involuntary muscle control, I couldn't control what I was saying, blacked out," that's how Derrick describes the high.
I see! The problem isn't that he's addicted to DXM. The problem is he's a fucktard!
"I started involuntary muscle control". What the fuck?
Of course, I'm on dexedrine and benzos right now, so maybe I'm missing out on something.

VagueReality 05-16-2008 12:20 AM

I get high cause I just loooove the involuntary muscle control!

neptunesguns 06-18-2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hollow Hippie@May 15 2008, 11:20 PM
Haha....I agreee. XD

Pseudosapien 11-02-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by neptunesguns+Jun 18 2008, 03:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (neptunesguns @ Jun 18 2008, 03:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Hollow Hippie@May 15 2008, 11:20 PM
Haha....I agreee. XD [/b][/quote]
Oh hell yeah, get me some of that involuntary muscle control.

Also: involuntary =/= control

this article fails.

allison 04-24-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhikku (Post 673238)

LOL Yeah I don't see how being all trippy and blacking out can be called "monstrous."

darklife 04-24-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anarKhan (Post 673224)
Who should? The corporation behind YouTube? You're saying that one of the few major open-source DIY sites out there should start censoring content that doesn't reflect well on your nasty habit?

Eeeexactly. I don't know what all countries some of you are from but here in the US we have the constitutional first amendment which youtube is usually good at following thankfully.
The day we start censoring stuff just because it may give some moron the wrong impression is the day darwinism stops working as good as it currently does. If someone is stupid enough to OD on CCCs because of something they seen in a youtube video then I say it's for the better. Weed the idiots out if need be rather than protect them from seeing something that may influence their MTV watching fad following mcdonnalds lard asses.
It's not like they have banned DxM or may ever. If they did it would be a slippery slope to banning Tylenol, then vitamins and finally sweet tarts.
I have seen youtube videos of kids snorting mustard powder. Not like everyone is going to run out and do that.

edit: wow didn't notice this was back from 2008 haha. Why did this get bumped?

allison 04-24-2010 11:49 PM

Haha... I was bored... Read some articles... Interesting enough, though :P

mans/laughter 04-25-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ;673048
"It turned me into like a monster," said Derrick

don't you love it when people take responsibility for their actions?

kanon 04-25-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

i dont get how dxm turn someone into a monster. its not that addicting also. rehab? for dxm? i think the girl just needs something to do rather then nothing and so she does dxm.
DXM may not be conventionally "addicting", but there is a considerable sect of users who take it on a habitual basis, sometimes to extreme and destructive means. I honestly don't see someone going to rehab for DXM addiction to be that lofty of a concept.

Quote:

It's a drug you dumbass. That's how. Just like your coffee. (Yes, I know coffee can't make you "high")
I've gotten considerable euphoria and felt "high" from coffee before, fwiw.

Migbee 04-26-2010 01:29 AM

The active ingredient in some common cold and cough medications is dextromethorphan or DXM. That's what makes kids high.

infinite 04-26-2010 03:35 AM

*face palm* Yeah videos on youtube are retarded. And definitely do NOT give good light to us real dexers. This article is also just riddled with bs. Wow the other guys family was torn apart because of a bottle of cough syrup from walmart OMG! OUR VALUES! What shall we do?

mans/laughter 04-26-2010 03:43 AM

Although I agree that the dumbasses on youtube make most dxm users look like d-bags, I couldn't advocate removal of such reatarted videos because of my anti-censorship beliefs. Just cause we don't want syrup heads to have a bad name doesn't mean we have the right to steal the voices of the retard fucks that take two boxes of c's and brag about tripping on "like a million milligrams of dxm!" Just because they are jackasses doesn't mean they aren't deserving of the same right that we have of posting our senseless bullshit to complete strangers in hopes that we'll get the tiniest bit of recognition and feel better because a fake social life beats none at all

tittysnacks74 04-26-2010 08:58 PM

"It just made me think if I didn't have her put away, she could've died if I waited another day or two, you know she could have overdosed."

It didn't even attempt to describe the extent to which her daughter used DXM. This sounds like some dumbass hysterical bitch freaked out and alienated her daughter who might not even have had a problem.