Server: irc.dextroverse.org
Ports: 6667 or 7000 SSL: 6697 or 9999
Room: #dextroverse

DV IRC How-To || mIRC Chat Link
Dextroverse Donations!
$65.00$100.00
Our goal is $100.00 in monthly donations to pay for the server costs
We currently have $65.00 per month.
Donate $5.00/month via PayPal || Full Donation Information || Make a One-Time Donation
SITE NEWS: Incriminating Pictures & Your Safety
Be a part of the Dextroverse DXM Community!
Registration is free and only takes a moment!
Choose a Username and Password, Login, Write a Short 200-Word Introduction, and Join the Community!

- Gain Access to 15+ Member Only Forums!
- Be able to Reply and Post New Topics!
- Comment on Latest DXM News!
- Access to a Private Messenger!
- Access to your own Control Panel!
- Be able to create your own Profile!
- Set your own options of how to view the forums!
- Use Many More Member Features!
( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

The Downside of Getting High on Cough Syrup, from Wired News
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Amide
Posted: Jun 27 2007, 09:16 PM

this is just a nightmare

Group: Members
Member No.: 8063

A recent article in the Journal of Emergency Medicine tells the story of a 20-year-old kid from Portland, Oregon that extracted the active ingredient, dextromethorphan, from some cough syrup and tried to get high with it. Thanks to the doctors that treated him, their patient did not earn a Darwin Award.

Case reports written by doctors are often far more exciting than an episode of House or any other hospital drama. They tend to include a lot of fun facts.

As a bonus for their readers, the authors included two recipes for the drug that nearly killed their patient. Those recipes came from the infamous Vaults of Erowid website. It is an encyclopedia of sometimes detailed and usually dangerous instructions for making drugs with improvised methods that would make MacGyver cringe.

When a chemist wants to extract something from a complicated mixture, they often use extremely pure solvents and a device called a separatory funnel. Proprietors of the finest meth labs often steal them from college campuses. Without access to these supplies, rogue chemists must resort to using chemicals from the grocery store and kitchen. Combined with a lack of scientific knowledge, the results are what you would expect -- terribly impure drugs that are in no way fit for human consumption.

In the improvised recipe, the drug is extracted from the cough syrup with ammonia and then from the pungent household cleaner with cigarette lighter fluid. When teaching an organic chemistry class, my rather sharp students often had a hard time getting rid of every last bit of the solvents they were working with. Keep in mind that they had all of the proper equipment and adequate instructions. Imagine how much lighter fluid could have been left over in the cocktail that this young pillar of society prepared for himself. In this case, it appeared to be an overdose of the active ingredient that did most of the damage. The doctors commented that some, but not all of his symptoms were in line with a dextromethorphan overdose.

Both the paper and some recent news stories claim that the abuse of dextromethorphan is on the rise. As a regular consumer of organic produce, I fall into the category of individuals that are appalled by the notion of tainting my food with anything that may be remotely toxic. The thought that consuming something that is prepared with ammonia and tainted with lighter fluid and who knows what else could be a popular pastime terrifies me.

Source

--------------------
I no longer feel as you do: this cloud which I see beneath me, this blackness and gravity at which I laugh--this is your thundercloud.
You look up when you feel the need for elevation. And I look down because I am elevated. Who among you can laugh and be elevated at the same time? Whoever climbs the highest mountains laughs at all tragic plays and tragic seriousness.

Unnamed
Posted: Jun 27 2007, 09:54 PM

I'm not serious. Seriously!!

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 5380

Isn't overdosing a downside of most drugs?

Sure am glad I was worried about killing myself with an extraction for all these years though (if it isn't just propaganda I mean).

--------------------
I believe...that with uhhhh the advent of acid...acid...acid...acid...we discovered a new way to think, and it had to do with piecing together new thoughts of mind. Why is it that people think it's so evil. What is it about it that scares people so deeply? Because they are afraid that there's more to reality then they have confonted.

That there are doors that they're afraid to go in and they don't want us to go in there either because they think if we go in we might learn something that they don't know and that makes us a little out of thier control.
-Ken Kesey

lund
Posted: Jun 27 2007, 10:10 PM

Third Plateau

Member No.: 10528

It doesn't seem like a typical "liek omg cough syrup is teh evil behind counter now!" propaganda article so I'd take it seriously, at least to some extent.

--------------------
"The cough syrup is kickin' in again."-Adam Sandler

Scynne
Posted: Jun 27 2007, 10:42 PM

Bricolage

Member No.: 6898

QUOTE (lund @ Jun 27 2007, 08:10 PM)
It doesn't seem like a typical "liek omg cough syrup is teh evil behind counter now!" propaganda article so I'd take it seriously, at least to some extent.

I take it full seriously. Someone failed at properly extracting DXM, and paid for it. Quite a reasonable scenario. People are bound to suck at chemistry every now and then.

--------------------
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." ~ Friedrich Neitzsche

Amide
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 09:02 AM

this is just a nightmare

Member No.: 8063

Another Mention
And decide for yourself: What drug is the narrator on, anyway?  (I'm voting a Robitussin mega-gulp.)

--------------------
I no longer feel as you do: this cloud which I see beneath me, this blackness and gravity at which I laugh--this is your thundercloud.
You look up when you feel the need for elevation. And I look down because I am elevated. Who among you can laugh and be elevated at the same time? Whoever climbs the highest mountains laughs at all tragic plays and tragic seriousness.

Cool Cherry
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 10:56 AM

I was 'Libre'.

Member No.: 8368

LOL at this article making the front page of Digg.

http://digg.com/health/The_Downside_of_Get..._on_Cough_Syrup

--------------------
"Who lives longer: the man who takes heroin for two years and dies, or the man who lives on roast beef, water, and potatoes till ninety-five? One passes his twenty-four months in eternity. All the years of the beef-eater are lived only in time." - Aldous Huxley

VIVA LA PARIS HILTON!

http://firehasbeenlit.com/

Wilson
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 11:05 AM

^ Heroin Hero ^

Group: Staff
Member No.: 5245

I've never had enough faith in myself to attempt an extraction. thumbs-up.gif I would be the one who fucked it up and died.

--------------------
Seriously.

Unnamed
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 11:47 AM

I'm not serious. Seriously!!

Member No.: 5380

QUOTE (Scynne @ Jun 27 2007, 11:42 PM)
I take it full seriously. Someone failed at properly extracting DXM, and paid for it. Quite a reasonable scenario. People are bound to suck at chemistry every now and then.

Well that wasn't really what they implied, but that any and all of us(not using professional equipment), even those who don't suck at chemistry, are hurting ourselves by trying to extract (even though they admit most of the damage came from the DXM overdose itself).

--------------------
I believe...that with uhhhh the advent of acid...acid...acid...acid...we discovered a new way to think, and it had to do with piecing together new thoughts of mind. Why is it that people think it's so evil. What is it about it that scares people so deeply? Because they are afraid that there's more to reality then they have confonted.

That there are doors that they're afraid to go in and they don't want us to go in there either because they think if we go in we might learn something that they don't know and that makes us a little out of thier control.
-Ken Kesey

Cool Cherry
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 01:07 PM

I was 'Libre'.

Member No.: 8368

Yay! My comment got +5 diggs!

--------------------
"Who lives longer: the man who takes heroin for two years and dies, or the man who lives on roast beef, water, and potatoes till ninety-five? One passes his twenty-four months in eternity. All the years of the beef-eater are lived only in time." - Aldous Huxley

VIVA LA PARIS HILTON!

http://firehasbeenlit.com/

Lab Rat
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 01:30 PM

Test Subject

Member No.: 7567

OMG DXM USE IS ON TEH RISE!!!

It sure seems that every article I read, I see that statement. I say, "Well, fuck. We'd better do something to stem the rising tide my friends."

So I say, ban all DXM containing products from the hands of idiots everywhere. They don't get them back until they can prove they've graduated high school and taken a chemistry class if they're going to do extractions.

In reality, the knowledge that it's hard to get all solvents out even with proper equipment, let alone a few Zip Lock baggies has kept me from attempting extractions. I mean, for those who do, I hope they know that no matter what they do, they're chugging naptha along with their DXM. As long as they're ok with that fact, I've got no trouble supporting them.

--------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_testing_on_rodents
In a past life, I was Thelonious Monk.

Drage Av Lys
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 03:55 PM

Dextroverse Guru

Member No.: 1421

In this case, it appeared to be an overdose of the active ingredient that did most of the damage. The doctors commented that some, but not all of his symptoms were in line with a dextromethorphan overdose.

So, he didn't do anything wrong, he took too much and freaked out and the writer of the article just got caught up in the fact that the kid made something that used lighter fluid and ammonia.

--------------------
user posted image
2005 CGM Subaru WRX

visit DRUG FILLED AMERICA

ferk
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 08:38 PM

something must break

Member No.: 5181

Nearly every article on DXM that I have encountered has been almost pure sensationalism. This is one such example!

--------------------
Listen to the silence, let it ring on. Eyes, dark grey lenses frightened of the sun. We would have a fine time living in the night,
Left to blind destruction,Waiting for our sight.

And we would go on as though nothing was wrong. And hide from these days we remained all alone. Staying in the same place, just staying out the time. Touching from a distance, Further all the time.

Energy Turtle
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 08:45 PM

Human, After All...

Member No.: 7565

So some nub tried an extraction and fucked up his chemistry. Big deal, people overdose/die on chemicals all the time. This is nothing new.

If he was harmed from, say, ingesting half a can of lighter fluid, then would people be screaming to ban lighter fluid? No, they'd all say "Wow, what an idiot. Lighter fluid still rules for making fire, though."

This post has been edited by TheGreatDeceiver on Jun 28 2007, 08:46 PM

--------------------
"To shed the boring, accepted realities that suffocate the majority, and embrace or confront what lies beyond. Confronting a sea, a moor, or standing upon a mountain, you can almost hear the unknown, invisible presences; you know they are there, almost within touch, speaking an arcane language, and you feel the power rise up within you as you become a receiver to such sublime presences. A pantheistic and atavistic surge of ultimate energy and power, and it makes you laugh with pure delight or cry with gratitude. Some may interpret the metaphysical revitilisation as a religious experience. Others as a pagan source of power, causing them to laugh and dance with savage delight at the cosmic insignificance of humanity. The nature of unconditional freedom is instinctively seized and wielded."

DEXmonic
Posted: Jul 2 2007, 05:40 PM

Dextroverse Regular

Member No.: 9299

Even with a basic knowledge of the ingredients I don't think extractions are that dangerous. Just know your chemicals (not many are involved) and what to look for. Although I wouldn't say im the average joe, I'm definitely no chemist.

--------------------
user posted image

Criptin
Posted: Nov 22 2007, 04:59 PM

Dextroverse Regular

Member No.: 12047

So basically some moron didnt do a good extraction and everyone freaked? Ok just checking.

--------------------
user posted image
-----------Science Hates You-----------
Drugs And The Government. The Two Things That You Will Never Have Full Control Over.

lyrrad85
Posted: Nov 22 2007, 05:04 PM

papa bear slumber forum

Member No.: 7402

he could have just chugged it like the narc that he is an still get dex in just ass munch trouble.

--------------------
there once was a man from texas
he came back from haiti with hexes
and then from then on
he looked like a frog
so now all he does is dexes

15 replies since Jun 27 2007, 09:16 PM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic

<< Back to DXM-related News

© 2000-2007 Dextroverse Inc.

Site developed by Void

Site redesign by Væ§ølis

Forum Skin & Designs by PeoplesMind