Printable Version of Topic
Click here to view this topic in its original format
Dextroverse Community > DXM-related News > Cough Medicine Abuse Sending Teens To Hospital

Posted by: drdĒv€ Jul 19 2007, 01:33 AM
-- Authorities said that they have seen a trend of teenagers getting high by "robotripping" with the use of easily available drugs.

There's no law against it. Authorities said the drugs are available over the counter but there are big dangers for teenagers trying "robotripping."

"There's no needles, there's no smell, there's no drug dealers, as far as [teens] are concerned, it's perfectly harmless," St. Mary's Hospital pharmacist Helen Jack said.

The active ingredient in Robitussin is dextromethorphan or DXM. Authorities said drinking two bottles is the standard high and gives the user mild hallucinations but doctors warn it can also lead to seizures and even death is extreme cases.

But the ingredient is not just in cough syrup, WISC-TV reported.

"The most popular product is the Coricidin HBP Cough and Cold which kids call 'triple c' or skittles because they look like little tiny red skittles," Jack said.

St. Mary's Hospital emergency physician Shawn O'Brien said he has dealt with a handful of cases. He said it's not the most common overdose but that it is dangerous.

O'Brien said mixing dextromethorphan with common antidepressant medications has proved particularly dangerous.

Teens on the video-sharing site You Tube even show off their highs, claiming they are "robotripping" in their videos.

One man described how it works in a video.

"The name is derived from a common cough syrup brand Robitussin," said the unidentified man in the video. "The drug is in the same group as PCP, not LSD."

In another video, an unidentified man stacks what appears to be hundreds of bottles of cough syrup. Another video titled "Robotrippin" shows a group of four teenagers bouncing around a room on an apparent high.

On the Web site dxmstories.com, former users shared the dangers of abusing cough medication.

A man only identified as Shawn described how it wrecked his life: "I didn't care about nobody, nothing and nobody. Not my parents, not my family, not my friends -- nothing. I was living for me and my drug."

There aren't any legal restrictions on how much you can buy like there is for the meth-making drug pseudoephedrine, according to WISC-TV.

However, some businesses have their own rules. Walgreens, for instance, holds the product behind the pharmacy counter and requires buyers to prove they're older than 18 years old.

Experts said parents should watch for physical symptoms such as confusion, dizziness and slurred speech. Some parents have found cough syrup bottles or discarded boxes in the garbage, according to WISC-TV.

http://www.channel3000.com/health/13709635/detail.html

Posted by: infinite Jul 19 2007, 05:52 PM
I have seen a lot of those videos on you tube and what this aelrticle says is true. I hope the exposure of dxm on the net doesn't get the substance outlawed. Guys i guess its only a matter of time before the dv makes it to the news.

Posted by: hpi Jul 19 2007, 05:56 PM
QUOTE (infinite @ Jul 19 2007, 05:52 PM)
I have seen a lot of those videos on you tube and what this aelrticle says is true. I hope the exposure of dxm on the net doesn't get the substance outlawed. Guys i guess its only a matter of time before the dv makes it to the news.

I hope it does smile.gif

Posted by: lund Jul 19 2007, 11:33 PM
QUOTE (hpi @ Jul 19 2007, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (infinite @ Jul 19 2007, 05:52 PM)
I have seen a lot of those videos on you tube and what this aelrticle says is true.  I hope the exposure of dxm on the net doesn't get the substance outlawed.  Guys i guess its only a matter of time before the dv makes it to the news.

I hope it does smile.gif

having DXM outlawed won't stop most people from doing it i'd imagine. sure as hell won't stop me.

Posted by: darklife Jul 24 2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks for putting that up. I was shocked when my local news had a whole segment on it. It's one thing to hear it on a stupid daytime talk show like Dr. Phil, and it's a whole other thing to hear it on your local news.

Posted by: Liquid Fiend Jul 29 2007, 09:07 AM
I have a feeling in the not-so-distant future, things won't look good for dexers..

damn youtube shake.gif

never thought I'd say that

Posted by: lyrrad85 Jul 29 2007, 09:12 AM
my mom said she knew some people who died on that shit but thats in VA. not enough to stop me.

Posted by: Kalu Jul 29 2007, 09:39 AM
I hope dxm use dies off a bit personally, maybe there will be an increase in demand for LSD and therefore in the production of it. I don't even like those you-tube dxm kids, they seem so fucking retarded.

Posted by: KINGOFTHEFOREST Jul 29 2007, 10:20 AM
I hope dxm use dies off a bit personally, maybe there will be an increase in demand for LSD and therefore in the production of it.

that's true, actually. that'd be fucking sweet.

I don't even like those you-tube dxm kids, they seem so fucking retarded.

i think they're super funny to watch....but then i like acting like a total retard sometimes when i'm high. and sometimes when i'm not, as well. but especially when i'm high............

Posted by: Psychotic Break Jul 29 2007, 10:38 AM
It's fine to act like a retard when you're high, but to record it and put up for everyone to see is just retarded.

Posted by: KINGOFTHEFOREST Jul 29 2007, 11:07 AM
QUOTE (Psychotic Break @ Jul 29 2007, 10:38 AM)
It's fine to act like a retard when you're high, but to record it and put up for everyone to see is just retarded.

so if you record it and put it up while you're high, then it's ok?

Posted by: Psychotic Break Jul 31 2007, 06:54 AM
QUOTE (daemon_xavier_marcellus @ Jul 29 2007, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (Psychotic Break @ Jul 29 2007, 10:38 AM)

so if you record it and put it up while you're high, then it's ok?

Probably.

Posted by: fraggin Jul 31 2007, 01:45 PM
What happens when the Dextroverse makes headlines?

Posted by: Kang Aug 1 2007, 05:21 PM
QUOTE (fraggin @ Jul 31 2007, 11:45 AM)
What happens when the Dextroverse makes headlines?

We get sponsorships from Robitussin and team jackets.