The Dextroverse

The Dextroverse (http://dextroverse.org/forums/index.php)
-   DXM-related News (http://dextroverse.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   FDA denies restriction on cough medication (http://dextroverse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67993)

iRizzen 09-16-2010 08:43 PM

FDA denies restriction on cough medication

Despite the rising numbers in people hospitalized for misuse and abuse of substance dextromethorpan (DXM), the Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee concluded that the risks do not outweigh the benefits and did not warrant restricting DXM under the Controlled Substances Act.
The Drug Enforcement Agency has requested the committee to evaluate DXM’s potential for abuse as well as the control or prevent abuse of the substance especially among teen agers who opt for cheap and accessible high.
High doses of DXM, an ingredient in cough medicines, can cause euphoria and hallucinations and have resulted in hospitalizations over the past years. Majority of cough medicines that include Robitussin DM and Tylenol Cough would have been classified under the least restrictive level of “dangerous drugs” had the panel voted in favor of restricting the use of DXM. Under such, schedule V medications can only be sold at pharmacies and not at convenience stores or supermarkets.
To prevent abuse, the Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA), a trade group representing cough syrup manufactures said that cough medicines had a very low potential for abuse. It urged the federal government to pass laws currently before Congress that would introduce tougher restrictions on bulk sales of DXM as well as prohibiting the sale of cough medicines containing DXM to anyone under the age of 18.

Ubiquitous 09-16-2010 08:49 PM

link plz, and perhaps go in DXM news

iRizzen 09-16-2010 08:57 PM

Link: http://www.newsonwellness.com/1405/m...edication.html

Yes, sorry, can someone move this to the dxm news forum?

Migbee 09-16-2010 09:29 PM

i do not understand u.s. drug policy

i mean, i definitely think that dxm should be legal, but i also think that dxm is one of the harder drugs you can do. super intense. why does dxm get this special treatment from the FDA and DEA?

dxm proves that all drugs can be legalized and still be less dangerous than alcohol

Blossom 09-16-2010 09:31 PM

i'm sitting in my kitchen with stem drinking chocolate milk and going

YES! YES! YES!

kinky.

iRizzen 09-16-2010 09:34 PM

In MS I have seen [TV. Radio. Newspaper] more deaths related to alcohol than any other drug. Drunk people tend to do stupid stuff [murder, rape, robbery, etc]. I mean...if I took ecstasy, the last thing on my mind would be to rob someone.

Drugs are not for everyone. IDIOTS should not do drugs... I think they are the reason drugs are illegal [somewhat]. And DXM related hospitalizations and ODs, mainly happen to those who did not read the FAQ about the DXM.

Just my 2 cents...

Blossom 09-16-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iRizzen (Post 962358)
In MS I have seen [TV. Radio. Newspaper] more deaths related to alcohol than any other drug. Drunk people tend to do stupid stuff [murder, rape, robbery, etc]. I mean...if I took ecstasy, the last thing on my mind would be to rob someone.

Drugs are not for everyone. IDIOTS should not do drugs... I think they are the reason drugs are illegal [somewhat]. And DXM related hospitalizations and ODs, mainly happen to those who did not read the FAQ about the DXM.

Just my 2 cents...

I agree...alcohol is a far worse substance and those who tend to drink it on a regular basis end up doing some crappy stuff. all you wanna do on e is hug and dance :D

people are idiots about drugs, but thats not what got them illegal in the first place IMO.

and don't get me started on the toxicity of acetaminophen- far more people are hospitalized daily due to overdoses and long term toxicity.

viscosity 09-16-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Migbee (Post 962355)
dxm proves that all drugs can be legalized and still be less dangerous than alcohol

I wouldn't say "all drugs" are less dangerous than alcohol . . .

Also, alcohol is a drug.

Decepticonus 09-16-2010 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viscosity (Post 962373)
I wouldn't say "all drugs" are less dangerous than alcohol . . .

Also, alcohol is a drug.

Indeed, more or less. Street heroin certainly isn't less dangerous then alcohol.

But I'm glad they are denying to restrict it. Punish the individual(s), not the drug I say in this case.

iRizzen 09-17-2010 12:14 AM

Well, we all could sit here and compare each drug. But, of course, yes, some are more dangerous than others. Shit, even some legal RX drugs are bad, and can kill you or mess you up bad in a bad way.