The Dextroverse

The Dextroverse (http://dextroverse.org/forums/index.php)
-   DXM-related News (http://dextroverse.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   UPDATE: Robotripping - KETK (http://dextroverse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67664)

void 09-01-2010 10:20 PM

UPDATE: Robotripping - KETK

UPDATE: Robotripping - KETK
09-01-2010 09:14 PM

Read Full Article Here...

(This thread was automatically posted from Google's RSS feed for news articles containing the term 'Dextromethorphan')

viscosity 09-02-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

It’s the classic good news bad news sort of thing. Just when you find a medicine that really works on your cold or cough, someone figures out a way to get high on it and it becomes harder to get.

Robitussin and several other cough suppressants are very effective, and the reason is an ingredient called DXM for short.

It stands for Dextromethorphan, which was discovered by the Navy in the late 50’s when they wanted a non-addictive replacement for codeine.

Dr. Chris Hable of ETMC says, “They used to use codeine. That was the drug that was used in these medications. And they realized that these became drugs of abuse. And so they all changed over to DXM.”

But DXM carries it’s own issues. When used in excess, it acts like PCP, causing hallucinations, excitement and other effects typical of a drug high.

“If you do use it in high quantities, you can get those effects similar to PCP,” Hable told us. “That is most likely the disassociative feelings of out of body kind of thing.

It’s called robotripping, and is growing in popularity among teens, although still fairly rare here.

For that reason, the FDA is considering making it harder to buy, like pseudophedrine is now, moving it behind the counter. Because it is sold over the counter, kids think it’s safe. They’re wrong.

“It’s probably a good idea,” Hable concluded. “It’s like alcohol. in excess it can cause problems.”

The FDA will meet later this month to consider moving it behind the counter and restricting its purchase to adults.
Why do they always show cough medications containing other ingredients in addition to DXM (which are much more harmful than DXM alone) or ones that don't contain DXM at all in videos like this?

Quote:

“It’s like alcohol. in excess it can cause problems.”
I do agree with this though.

Dekko Tei'moku 09-02-2010 02:10 PM

I dunno I'm actually cool with DXM products being sold only to adults...some retarded fucken teenagers abuse it, making it look bad/get bad publicity.

viscosity 09-02-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dekko Tei'moku (Post 957922)
I dunno I'm actually cool with DXM products being sold only to adults...some retarded fucken teenagers abuse it, making it look bad/get bad publicity.

I do think it would be beneficial if it is viewed more like alcohol which is sold with age restrictions (it also antagonizes NMDA receptors like DXM), instead of viewing it as PCP and making it difficult or impossible to get through legal channels.

Age restrictions wouldn't have made 14 year old me happy back in the day though :P

Dekko Tei'moku 09-02-2010 02:31 PM

Yeah I agree with that too...but I doubt they will take it that lightly, cos it's fucking cough syrup harhar.

And yeah I would've been a boring person if I didn't steal that shit when I was 13 :dexed:

Arm 09-02-2010 08:20 PM

Age restrictions would just mean another step towards being scheduled. This aint alcohol. Though I would like to ask the DEA why alcohol and nicotine are legal since they have very high abuse potential and no medical use.

viscosity 09-02-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arm (Post 958018)
no medical use.

Wrong.

Alcohol is considered an antidote For methanol poisoning:
Quote:

Specific antidote is ethanol and this should be given IV as a 10% solution in 5% dextrose A loading dose of 0.6g/kg should be given followed by an lVI of 0.07g/kg/hr for non-drinkers (regular drinkers should receive 0. 16g/kg/hr)
http://www-clinpharm.medschl.cam.ac....n/poison9.html

Quote:

PURPOSE: To test nicotine patch treatment for a patient with a defined mutation for autosomal dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy (ADNFLE) whose seizures were refractory to standard antiepileptic therapy.

METHODS: Open and double-blind trials of nicotine patches in an "n-of-one" study. The double-blind trial comprised periods during which either placebo or nicotine patches were each used for three periods of 2 weeks, randomized in a double-blind manner.

RESULTS: In an open study, nicotine patches reduced seizures from 1.65 +/- 2.36 to 0.01 +/- 0.0 seizures per day (p < 0.0001). In a double-blinded placebo-controlled phase, the average frequency of seizures on nicotine versus placebo was 0 +/- 0 versus 0.56 +/- 1.14 seizures per day (p < 0.0001).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12919397

silentbreedmix 09-02-2010 09:52 PM

Alcohol has a shitload of medical uses.

Arm 09-02-2010 09:55 PM

^Fomepizole is preferred for methanol poisoning. It blocks methanol metabolism better and does not screw with your blood sugar levels.