The Dextroverse

The Dextroverse (http://dextroverse.org/forums/index.php)
-   DXM-related News (http://dextroverse.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   'robotripping' Hits Mainstream Media (http://dextroverse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4432)

rfgdxm 12-30-2003 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 5-MeO-ECO@Dec 30 2003, 04:22 AM
It was only a matter of time before the mainstream media, and all associated cretins, started bawling their little drug warrior eyes out over DXM and what a "terrible threat" it is.

Personally, I'm surprised the pharmaceutical industry isn't a bit more pissed off at the media for defamation of a relatively safe product (even in recreational dosages).

Now that it's all "coming out," the drug community could theoretically use this to their advantage. Of course doing so would result in a big lie. One which we would all have to play along with. That lie being that DXM is dangerous in almost any context, while the opposite is clearly true (for the time being). It probably wouldn't attract the necessary backlash for real progress, though. Still, consider it an exercise in spinning the seemingly bad to your advantage.

Try emphasizing the "Coricidin is BAD" angle with the media, and downplay other forms of DXM. The beauty of this is that it isn't really a lie. I've yet to document a death from someone taking a DXM only cough syrup. For the media, the story sells more if it is "kids are buying Coricidin at the store, and it is killing some of them!" than "some kids are getting high on cough syrup, but they just sober up afterwards and live."

Issak 05-29-2009 02:16 AM

so this was around the beginning of all the terrible press dxm has received huh?
The funny thing is, from what I have heard, dxm has been becoming more and more popular since the 2000's. The media is a double edged sword. parents might watch this bullshit and go 'oh no!' but most teens and/or responsible drug users see that and go 'hmmm, new drug aye?'

if such a big fuss was never made of it, I bet at least 2/3 of the people who use dxm never would have.

VagueReality 05-29-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mulletike@May 29 2009, 01:16 AM
so this was around the beginning of all the terrible press dxm has received huh?
The funny thing is, from what I have heard, dxm has been becoming more and more popular since the 2000's. The media is a double edged sword. parents might watch this bullshit and go 'oh no!' but most teens and/or responsible drug users see that and go 'hmmm, new drug aye?'

if such a big fuss was never made of it, I bet at least 2/3 of the people who use dxm never would have.

Thanks for replying to a 6 year old topic =D

MaslowK 05-29-2009 02:41 PM

I love how these articles, when citing number of deaths due to cold medicine OD, fail to mention it was the other inactive ingredients (APAP, CPM, diph, etc) that caused issues; just another example of blatant bullshit scare tactics in the media.

Issak 05-29-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by VagueReality+May 29 2009, 11:51 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (VagueReality @ May 29 2009, 11:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--mulletike@May 29 2009, 01:16 AM

Thanks for replying to a 6 year old topic =D [/b][/quote]
no problem, i still think its relevant though.

Wǣrloga 05-29-2009 07:03 PM

Wtf is with this kid performing these unspeakable acts of necromancy?