Server: irc.dextroverse.org
Ports: 6667 or 7000 SSL: 6697 or 9999
Room: #dextroverse

DV IRC How-To || mIRC Chat Link
Dextroverse Donations!
$65.00$100.00
Our goal is $100.00 in monthly donations to pay for the server costs
We currently have $65.00 per month.
Donate $5.00/month via PayPal || Full Donation Information || Make a One-Time Donation
SITE NEWS: Incriminating Pictures & Your Safety
Be a part of the Dextroverse DXM Community!
Registration is free and only takes a moment!
Choose a Username and Password, Login, Write a Short 200-Word Introduction, and Join the Community!

- Gain Access to 15+ Member Only Forums!
- Be able to Reply and Post New Topics!
- Comment on Latest DXM News!
- Access to a Private Messenger!
- Access to your own Control Panel!
- Be able to create your own Profile!
- Set your own options of how to view the forums!
- Use Many More Member Features!
( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Crack down on the bulk sale of DXM, Niles, MI
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
drdªv€
Posted: Oct 16 2007, 02:05 PM

HO HO HO's ;)

Group: Lead Administrators
Member No.: 140

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 11:06 AM EDT

WASHINGTON - The U.S. House of Representatives Monday unanimously approved by voice vote U.S. Rep. Fred Upton's, R-St. Joseph, bipartisan legislation to crack down on the bulk sale of dextromethorphan (DXM), an ingredient of cough syrup that kids are abusing to get high.

Upton and Rep. Rick Larsen, D-Wash., co-authored the Dextromethorphan Distribution Act of 2007 (H.R. 970) which makes it illegal to distribute unfinished DXM to a person or company not registered with the FDA and will help prevent the abuse of this drug, which has resulted in deaths across the country.

Upton called on the U.S. Senate to follow suit and pass similar legislation to prevent the unapproved production, sale and use of DXM as a "street drug."

"This is a matter of life and death, and we must shatter the myth that it is safe for our kids to get high off of DXM because it is a common ingredient in cough syrup," said Upton.

"As a parent of two teenagers, I am alarmed by the growing trend of teens abusing cough syrup and pure DXM to get high.

"Our kids are engaging in a game of Russian roulette each time they get high off of DXM, and sooner or later, someone dies. This common-sense piece of legislation will put an end to the bulk sale of DXM over the Internet and keep our kids safe from the dangers of this type of drug abuse."

DXM is a non-narcotic cough suppressant used in many over-the-counter cough and cold medicines.

While medicines containing DXM are used safely by millions of Americans each year, taken in extremely large quantities DXM produces a hallucinogenic high and can cause brain damage, seizures and death. Studies have shown that teenagers are obtaining unfinished DXM to get high by consuming large amounts of the powder or mixing it with alcohol. Recent research indicates that abuse of DXM has increased sharply in recent years. According to the Partnership for a Drug-Free America, 1 in 11 teenagers has used cough medicines to get high.

"In 2005, two teenagers in my district died after overdosing on unfinished DXM they bought on the Internet," said Congressman Rick Larsen. "The loss of these children is a tragedy that will be forever felt by their families and communities. We cannot continue to allow this dangerous drug to be only a click of the mouse away from our homes and our children. I urge the Senate to act quickly and approve this common sense measure to protect our kids."

There are a number of disreputable websites that provide "how-to" guides to get high off of DXM. These sites include information recommending how much DXM to use, suggest other drugs to combine with DXM, provide instructions on how to extract DXM from cough medicines, promote drug abuse in general, and even offer for purchase a raw, unfinished form of DXM for snorting.

"This is too important an issue, with kids' lives hanging in the balance, not to get done," said Upton. "This legislation sends a strong message to those individuals who are illegally peddling this drug to our teenagers to cease at once or suffer severe consequences. The statistics do not lie - we must act now before abuse of DXM reaches epidemic proportions."

The Dextromethorphan Distribution Act of 2007 is endorsed by the American Pharmacists Association, Consumer Healthcare Products Association, Food Marketing Institute, National Association of Chain Drug Stores and The Partnership for a Drug Free America.

For more information, Upton encourages everyone to visit the website for the Partnership for a Drug Free America at www.drugfree.org. The site has a feature entitled "What every parent needs to know about cough syrup abuse."

http://www.nilesstar.com/articles/2007/10/...ews/ndnews3.txt

--------------------
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional. ;)

Know your body, Known your mind, Know your substance, Know your source

RIP RDT 12-27-65/6-04-06
Brother, Friend, Confidante & Co-Conspirator

"All of my heroes have now become ghosts"

"friends help you move... best friends help you move bodies."

infinite
Posted: Oct 16 2007, 02:13 PM

Plateau Sigma

Group: Members
Member No.: 10764

....................omg this is shit

--------------------
Be at peace with your mind for in the end it is all you will have
-Me
Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful.

Matter is NOT made up of matter.
God will send you to a place of fire and pain if you don't agree with him....but he LOVES YOU!!!
All powerful, all knowing, but he can't handle money, either!!

Reverend Tulasi
Posted: Oct 16 2007, 04:43 PM

Third Plateau

Member No.: 11468

Well that just sucks.

--------------------

Add Me on MySpace!

faustus
Posted: Oct 16 2007, 04:57 PM

Second Plateau

Member No.: 10965

What is really funny is that they can't keep rat poison out of imported Chinese wheat gluten, yet this. I don't necessarily have a problem with regulation, even if it is inconvenient, but it's the priorities, they really make me sick. Oh, and remember who elected this government. Everybody, bear in mind that 99% of your fellow humans deserve....

--------------------
Boise listens carefully to how our customers use paper. We strive to simplify and enhance each paper experience. The result is a wide variety of innovative solutions that open up a new world of paper possibilities. That's why the Boise brand is trusted by millions. Boise. Beyond What's Expected.™

d3tox_
Posted: Oct 16 2007, 05:09 PM

Third Plateau

Member No.: 8580

QUOTE (drdªv€ @ Oct 16 2007, 02:05 PM)
"Our kids are engaging in a game of Russian roulette each time they get high off of DXM, and sooner or later, someone dies.

lol

and even offer for purchase a raw, unfinished form of DXM for snorting

double lol.

doesnt bother me much, i usually only buy 1 or 2 dxm containing items at a time.

This post has been edited by d3tox_ on Oct 16 2007, 05:09 PM

lyrrad85
Posted: Oct 16 2007, 06:02 PM

papa bear slumber forum

Member No.: 7402

i do not recomend storting dxm...ouch!

--------------------
there once was a man from texas
he came back from haiti with hexes
and then from then on
he looked like a frog
so now all he does is dexes

noid
Posted: Oct 16 2007, 10:36 PM

I was 'Peace Frog'

Member No.: 3040

maybe snorting "unfinished" DXM wouldnt burn so much

RoboPriest
Posted: Oct 17 2007, 12:18 AM

First Plateau

Member No.: 9186

does this mean that my "supplier" will stop offering pure powder once they get wind of this?

what is the definition of "unfinished" dxm?

cuz if so that would really suck

OMG if they take all DXM containing products off the shelf I will surely cry

This post has been edited by KTrain418 on Oct 17 2007, 12:21 AM

--------------------
You can't fight me. I am the King!
My Father's wushu is better than yours.
Super Mario Bros. is the Nausea killer!

Robitussin - Rob it so sin!
Suppressant - Super Saint
It's all in the signs.....

Space Monkey
Posted: Oct 17 2007, 02:18 AM

Veteran

Member No.: 191

What a birthday present...

--------------------
"There are moments, and it is only a matter of five or six seconds, when you feel the presence of the eternal harmony ... a terrible thing is the frightful clearness with which it manifests itself and the rapture with which it fills you. If this state were to last more than five seconds, the soul could not endure it and would have to disappear. During these five seconds I live a whole human existence, and for that I would give my whole life and not think I was paying too dearly."

thomasKMFDM
Posted: Oct 17 2007, 06:59 AM

Urine Shaman/Anal Sex Advocate

Group: Staff
Member No.: 1004

I see this having limited effect on availability but increasing the media circus around DXM. Most suppliers are now located outside of the U.S. because the FDA already investigates and arrests suppliers of domestic powder. Therefore, this law is completely unnecessary and just a good way to play the "we must protect the helpless children from the EVIL SCOURGE OF DRUGS" card.

--------------------
<lucid|ril|aniracetam> " identify your personal god to help you master your horrible disease, junkie "

Wall graffiti in the Paris student uprising in in the late 60s:
"I CAN'T BELIEVE PEOPLE ARE STILL CHRISTIANS"

http://myspace.com/thomaskmfdm

Reverend Tulasi
Posted: Oct 17 2007, 09:05 AM

Third Plateau

Member No.: 11468

does this mean that my "supplier" will stop offering pure powder once they get wind of this?

Unless you are listed with the FDA, then yes sad.gif

what is the definition of "unfinished" dxm?

Not prepared in a suspended solution for human consumption by little oompa loompas in the candy factory.

--------------------

Add Me on MySpace!

RoboPriest
Posted: Oct 17 2007, 10:34 AM

First Plateau

Member No.: 9186

I see. I guess I wouldn't forsee this law causing me anymore problems than I already have then. Thanks thumbs-up.gif

--------------------
You can't fight me. I am the King!
My Father's wushu is better than yours.
Super Mario Bros. is the Nausea killer!

Robitussin - Rob it so sin!
Suppressant - Super Saint
It's all in the signs.....

drdªv€
Posted: Oct 17 2007, 02:28 PM

HO HO HO's ;)

Member No.: 140

Last night's House of Representatives passage of the "Dextromethorphan Distribution Act of 2007," H.R. 970, is an important step toward preserving the availability of a safe and effective ingredient in over-the-counter cough and cold products, while preventing the sale and use of dextromethorphan (DXM) as a street drug, according to the National Association of Chain Drug Stores (NACDS).

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Fred Upton (R-MI) and Rep. Rick Larsen (D-WA), would allow the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to regulate the sale of unfinished (powdered or bulk) DXM, and seek to cut off the supply of pure DXM to those who intend to sell it as a street drug, or purchase it online to get high themselves. The bill would limit the distribution of unfinished DXM only to those individuals or entities registered by the FDA. On that point, NACDS would opt for the approach of Senate companion legislation, which would maintain the availability of bulk DXM to pharmacies for use in compounding. In compounding, drugs are tailor-made to meet a patient's needs.

"NACDS and its members are committed to the health of communities. This involves maintaining access to necessary medication and preventing the devastation and tragedy of the drug trade and drug abuse. We commend Rep. Upton and Rep. Larsen for their commitment to this issue, and we will work with them, as well as Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE) and Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA), and other Congressional leaders, to facilitate good public policy on this important issue," said NACDS President and CEO Steven C. Anderson, IOM, CAE.

NACDS' work on this issue demonstrates a commitment to three stated priorities of the Association: maintaining and advancing the ability of pharmacies to serve patients as an integral part of the health care system, preventing drug abuse, and engaging on issues of importance to both the pharmacy and front-end operations of NACDS members.

To become law, the legislation will need to be passed by the House of Representatives and Senate in identical form, and be signed by the President.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/85849.php

--------------------
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional. ;)

Know your body, Known your mind, Know your substance, Know your source

RIP RDT 12-27-65/6-04-06
Brother, Friend, Confidante & Co-Conspirator

"All of my heroes have now become ghosts"

"friends help you move... best friends help you move bodies."

Awakened
Posted: Oct 19 2007, 07:34 PM

Second Plateau

Member No.: 86

they have introduced this bill 2-3 times before and it never got past the senate. so dont get too worried just yet.

--------------------

Glimpses of wide plains and graceful valleys, high mountains and inviting grottoes, covered with every lovely attribute of scenery which my delighted eyes could conceive of, yet formed wholly of some glowing, ethereal plastic entity, which in consistency partook as much of spirit as of matter. As I gazed, I perceived that my own brain held the key to these enchanting metamorphoses; for each vista which appeared to me was the one my changing mind most wished to behold. Amidst this elysian realm I dwelt not as a stranger, for each sight and sound was familiar to me; just as it had been for uncounted eons of eternity before, and would be for eternities to come.
-H.P. Lovecraft "Beyond the Wall of sleep"

eazyb
Posted: Oct 21 2007, 02:13 AM

Member No.: 10146

QUOTE (Awakened @ Oct 19 2007, 07:34 PM)
they have introduced this bill 2-3 times before and it never got past the senate. so dont get too worried just yet.

I'll keep an eye on this. Besides Fall is here as always and my allergies are nailing me. And these congresscritters don't understand that some of us know what we need to deal with allergies? Me, I use DXM and diphenhydramine depending upon the severity and the time/type of reaction.

After dosing, not only am I sneezing and coughing very little but I also get that nice "floaty" feeling where I feel like everything is small. And it does intensify my moviewatching. wink.gif

--EazyB

This post has been edited by eazyb on Oct 21 2007, 02:15 AM

AdultSWIM
Posted: Oct 28 2007, 07:48 AM

Third Plateau

Member No.: 7510

Nanny. State.

I highly recommend the book

--------------------
""The universe is shaped exactly like the Earth: If you go straight long enough you end up where you were"" - Isaac Brock

Criptin
Posted: Nov 22 2007, 03:24 PM

Plateau Sigma

Member No.: 12047

"Our kids are engaging in a game of Russian roulette each time they get high off of DXM, and sooner or later, someone dies.

Tussin roulette FTW!

--------------------
user posted image
Instigating DXM use.. Me? Never.
-Criptin-

16 replies since Oct 16 2007, 02:05 PM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic

<< Back to DXM-related News

© 2000-2007 Dextroverse Inc.

Site developed by Void

Site redesign by Væ§ølis

Forum Skin & Designs by PeoplesMind