Server: irc.dextroverse.org
Ports: 6667 or 7000 SSL: 6697 or 9999
Room: #dextroverse

DV IRC How-To || mIRC Chat Link
Dextroverse Donations!
$65.00$100.00
Our goal is $100.00 in monthly donations to pay for the server costs
We currently have $65.00 per month.
Donate $5.00/month via PayPal || Full Donation Information || Make a One-Time Donation
SITE NEWS: Incriminating Pictures & Your Safety
Be a part of the Dextroverse DXM Community!
Registration is free and only takes a moment!
Choose a Username and Password, Login, Write a Short 200-Word Introduction, and Join the Community!

- Gain Access to 15+ Member Only Forums!
- Be able to Reply and Post New Topics!
- Comment on Latest DXM News!
- Access to a Private Messenger!
- Access to your own Control Panel!
- Be able to create your own Profile!
- Set your own options of how to view the forums!
- Use Many More Member Features!
( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Don't let youth get high..., Yuma, AZ
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
drdªv€
Posted: Oct 24 2007, 06:23 PM

HO HO HO's ;)

Group: Lead Administrators
Member No.: 140

Don't let youth get high on something meant to do good

October 23, 2007 - 5:35PM
Jessica Castro thought her friends were "playing around" when they told her they drank cough medicine to get high. But they weren't. Castro's friends are among the millions of teens nationwide abusing over-the-counter cough medicines containing dextromethorphan (DXM).

"They think it's just a little drug that's not really affecting them, but it really is," said the 16-year-old Cibola High School student.

Castro, a member of Cibola's Health Career Club, attended a town hall meeting Tuesday morning in Yuma organized by the Yuma Community Action Coalition to bring awareness on cough medicine abuse and how to take action to prevent it.

With a new generation of teens comes new trends, including new drugs to get high, said Doreen Lewis, chief executive officer for Community Intervention Associates (CIA), an agency that provides outpatient behavioral health treatment and substance abuse services.

With the large number of youth treated at CIA, Lewis is aware of the growing problem of cough medicine abuse.

"It can't get easier than getting it from the medicine cabinet," Lewis said.

Taking high doses of DXM causes the abuser to have an ecstasy-like high accompanied by effects like mild distortions of color and sound, strong visual hallucinations, "out-of-body" sensations, confusion, slurred speech and loss of motor control, Lewis said.

Abuse of cough medicine can lead to serious side effects which can worsen if the medicine is taken with a combination of other medications, alcohol or illegal drugs, Lewis said.

Some Internet sites promote misuse of cough medicine and even show youths how to consume it.

"I never hear (of cough medicine abuse) from parents or teachers, I've only heard it from friends who are abusing it," Castro admitted.

Teens can purchase DXM products from retail stores and the Internet with no questions asked, Lewis said. And Castro said she knows of teens who steal the drug from stores.

Because it's easily accessible and legal to purchase, teens can think that cough medicine is not as dangerous as street drugs, Lewis said.

Community professionals, parents, military personnel, Yuma Regional Medical Center staff, students, law enforcement and lawmakers attended the town hall meeting. Among them was state Sen. Amanda Aguirre, who said legislation to regulate cough medicine sales may be an option to prevent abuse.

Somerton Justice of the Peace Jorge Lozano agreed with Aguirre but said a law is not the only answer to this problem - other initiatives, like getting more parental involvement, are needed.

Castro thought the town hall meeting would be useful to other teens since they're the ones directly affected by cough medicine abuse, she said.

Castro and other members of the Health Career Club will take what they learned from the meeting back to school and create a presentation about the dangers of cough medicine, she said.

Lewis hopes these types of meetings will mobilize the community to bring prevention education to teens by educating adults in the community and hosting even more round-tables in the future.

The meeting was sponsored by Project HERO, a Drug-Free Community Support Initiative, The Regional Center for Border Health and Community Intervention Associates.

STATISTICS:
*1 in 3 teens report having a close friend who abuses prescription pain relievers to get high.
*1 in 4 teens report having a close friend who abuses cough medicine to get high.

SOME PRODUCTS CONTAINING DEXTROMETHORPHAN (DXM)
*Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold and Cough Medicine
*Dimetapp DM
*Sudafed Cough Medicine
*Vicks NyQuil and DayQuil
*Vicks 44 Cough Relief products
*Tylenol Cold products
*Triaminic cough syrups
*Robitussin cough products

SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS OF DXM ABUSE CAN INCLUDE:
*Delusions
*Panic attacks
*Memory problems
*Blurred vision
*Stomach pain, nausea and vomiting
*High blood pressure and rapid heart beat
*Numbness of fingers and toes
*Drowsiness and dizziness
*Fever and headaches
*Rashes and itchy skin
*Loss of consciousness

Source: www.doseofprevention.org

PARENTS, TO PREVENT COUGH MEDICINE ABUSE:
•Educate yourself
•Safeguard medicine cabinets
•Talk to your child about over-the-counter and prescription medication abuse
•Monitor Internet use
•Be on the lookout for signs that your child might be using drugs

http://www.yumasun.com/articles/cough_3735...cine_abuse.html

--------------------
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional. ;)

Know your body, Known your mind, Know your substance, Know your source

RIP RDT 12-27-65/6-04-06
Brother, Friend, Confidante & Co-Conspirator

"All of my heroes have now become ghosts"

"friends help you move... best friends help you move bodies."

eazyb
Posted: Oct 24 2007, 08:32 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 10146

QUOTE (drdªv€ @ Oct 24 2007, 06:23 PM)
PARENTS, TO PREVENT COUGH MEDICINE ABUSE:
•Educate yourself
•Safeguard medicine cabinets
•Talk to your child about over-the-counter and prescription medication abuse
•Monitor Internet use
•Be on the lookout for signs that your child might be using drugs

This just gets old each and every time. I swear there's a 12-Step cookie-cutter propaganda mill for this stuff.

The fact is that dexing/RoboTripping is fun when done right. Who's to say it's "abuse" other than know-nothing authority figures who believe the latest agitprop from the neoprohibitionist movement?

If anything the biggest danger from dexing is from the other crap in the syrup or pills. It's the unenlightened kids who wind up not educating themselves about that trip and, when those kids get sick or die, the media vultures and the know-nothing vox populi swoops right in.

If one is going to trip that person should know exactly what they're putting in their body.

Has anything changed since 1938's "Reefer Madness" hysteria?

BTW, y'ever notice that they don't list the signs that kids are on drugs? Is there a common list around because I just don't have mine with me (I probably shredded it with the syrup boxes). smile.gif

--EazyB

Psychotic Break
Posted: Oct 24 2007, 10:53 PM

Perpetually perpetual, indefinately

Member No.: 9102

STATISTICS:
*1 in 3 teens report having a close friend who abuses prescription pain relievers to get high.
*1 in 4 teens report having a close friend who abuses cough medicine to get high.

C'mon kids! Everybody's doing it!

*Dimetapp DM
*Sudafed Cough Medicine
*Tylenol Cold products
*Triaminic cough syrups

Here are some formulas containing dangerous and deadly other active ingredients to try!

--------------------

metatron
Posted: Oct 24 2007, 10:59 PM

Dextroverse Regular

Member No.: 9256

QUOTE (Psychotic Break @ Oct 24 2007, 10:53 PM)
*Dimetapp DM
*Sudafed Cough Medicine
*Tylenol Cold products
*Triaminic cough syrups

Here are some formulas containing dangerous and deadly other active ingredients to try!

no joke.. if kids were to go off lists like these in order to purchase their chemicals they would more than likely end up dead. information like this is not only full of propaganda, but potentially life-threatening. it irritates every time i see something like this on the news or those full-page ads in magazines. if i were uneducated and desperately seeking a high and then read this i would go drink some nyquil or something... brickwall.gif

--------------------
user posted image

QUOTE (Aldous Huxley)
Nobody can have the consolations of religion or philosophy unless he has first experienced their desolations.

AdultSWIM
Posted: Oct 28 2007, 07:36 AM

Third Plateau

Member No.: 7510

Haha, I love the title: "Don't let youth get high on something meant to do good".

What if getting high IS the good they're trying to accomplish?

Oh yeah, the neoprohibitionists don't want ANYONE to get high, or buzzed, or drunk. Shut up, be sober- the only joy you should be getting is from, say, getting a good job or having a kid or some other bullshit.

But I digress.

While they lament sites like this one where you can "learn how to take cough syrup", it's a hell of a lot safer than listing harmful substances like Sudafed and, jesus, NyQuil.

At least at this site you'll learn what exactly might kill you, how much DXM is bad for you, etc. But of course, being members, you knew that already.

--------------------
""The universe is shaped exactly like the Earth: If you go straight long enough you end up where you were"" - Isaac Brock

Monoliath
Posted: Oct 28 2007, 07:44 AM

Tryptogryphical Time-Keeper

Group: Staff
Member No.: 2754

SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL ABUSE CAN INCLUDE:
*Delusions
*Panic attacks
*Memory problems
*Blurred vision
*Stomach pain, nausea and vomiting
*High blood pressure and rapid heart beat
*Numbness of fingers and toes
*Drowsiness and dizziness
*Fever and headaches
*Rashes and itchy skin
*Loss of consciousness

...wife beating, child abuse, cirrhosis of the liver, brain damage, family problems, depression, violent behavior, alcoholism...

--------------------
If you wanna live in a world in which all the dangers are "taken care of" for you then you must give up all your freedom. Don't be surprised if you suddenly find that not only are the dangers are still there, but there are even more of them, with the greatest of them coming from the very entity you trusted to "protect" you. And you'll be a slave, since that's what it means to not have any freedom.

I, for one, would rather live with danger and retain my freedom. I'd much rather live with the probability of being killed by a terrorist than give up an ounce of my freedom to "fight" those terrorists.

"guitar hero is horrible. i hate it. it's a representation of the decline of everything in this world" - Amide

infinite
Posted: Oct 28 2007, 05:35 PM

Plateau Sigma

Member No.: 10764

oh i love you guys!

--------------------
Be at peace with your mind for in the end it is all you will have
-Me
Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful.

Matter is NOT made up of matter.
God will send you to a place of fire and pain if you don't agree with him....but he LOVES YOU!!!
All powerful, all knowing, but he can't handle money, either!!

Gauged
Posted: Oct 28 2007, 05:38 PM

we are one conception

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 7882

...I think they're on to us.

--------------------
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."

Choker
Posted: Oct 28 2007, 05:39 PM

I was peaceful.

Member No.: 8664

DXM source lists like theirs makes me brickwall.gif

--------------------
I die in my daydreams.

Once you know you can never go back

Sabiancym
Posted: Oct 28 2007, 09:43 PM

Second Plateau

Member No.: 7050

Let's ban shaving while we're at it. Sure millions of people do it everyday and are fine, but there is always that one guy who didn't do his research and sliced open his jugular.

Rainbow
Posted: Oct 28 2007, 11:36 PM

I was Legal Drug Foundation NWZ

Member No.: 9574

Breaking news:
Jessica Cathros body was found beaten to death in a small stream outside the Cibola's Health Career Club, with various empty cough medication bottles around her spelling out the words "NARC".
Police officers have confirmed that this horrible murder was made none other than the Deckztovurse CULT which has their hate site on the intaweb. This confirms to previous un researched informational lies about Dxm causing violence is true.
Action has been taken in the community that all Dimetapp flu and allergy has been taken off the shelves in all chemists.

--------------------
When I see you sticky as lips
As licky as trips
I can't lick that far
But when you pout
The way you shout out loud
It makes me want to start
And when I see you happy as a girl
That swims in a world of magic show
It makes me bite my fingers through
To think I could've let you go

Choker
Posted: Oct 29 2007, 02:46 AM

I was peaceful.

Member No.: 8664

QUOTE (Rainbow @ Oct 28 2007, 11:36 PM)
Breaking news:
Jessica Cathros body was found beaten to death in a small stream outside the Cibola's Health Career Club, with various empty cough medication bottles around her spelling out the words "NARC".
Police officers have confirmed that this horrible murder was made none other than the Deckztovurse CULT which has their hate site on the intaweb. This confirms to previous un researched informational lies about Dxm causing violence is true.
Action has been taken in the community that all Dimetapp flu and allergy has been taken off the shelves in all chemists.

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Dimetap is shitty anyhow.

This post has been edited by Zombie. on Oct 29 2007, 02:46 AM

--------------------
I die in my daydreams.

Once you know you can never go back

Monoliath
Posted: Oct 29 2007, 05:39 AM

Tryptogryphical Time-Keeper

Group: Staff
Member No.: 2754

QUOTE (Zombie. @ Oct 29 2007, 03:46 AM)
QUOTE (Rainbow @ Oct 28 2007, 11:36 PM)
Breaking news:

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Dimetap is shitty anyhow.

...you do know the above is a joke...right?

I can't wait until they find a cult where people use Robitussin in sacrificial offerings to IROBOT to replace actual blood.

--------------------
If you wanna live in a world in which all the dangers are "taken care of" for you then you must give up all your freedom. Don't be surprised if you suddenly find that not only are the dangers are still there, but there are even more of them, with the greatest of them coming from the very entity you trusted to "protect" you. And you'll be a slave, since that's what it means to not have any freedom.

I, for one, would rather live with danger and retain my freedom. I'd much rather live with the probability of being killed by a terrorist than give up an ounce of my freedom to "fight" those terrorists.

"guitar hero is horrible. i hate it. it's a representation of the decline of everything in this world" - Amide

SkiTzOz
Posted: Oct 29 2007, 11:02 AM

Member No.: 10652

I abuse DXM. smile.gif

--------------------

"Anarchy is the only slight glimmer of hope."

13 replies since Oct 24 2007, 06:23 PM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic

<< Back to DXM-related News

© 2000-2007 Dextroverse Inc.

Site developed by Void

Site redesign by Væ§ølis

Forum Skin & Designs by PeoplesMind