Server: irc.dextroverse.org
Ports: 6667 or 7000 SSL: 6697 or 9999
Room: #dextroverse

DV IRC How-To || mIRC Chat Link
Dextroverse Donations!
$65.00$100.00
Our goal is $100.00 in monthly donations to pay for the server costs
We currently have $65.00 per month.
Donate $5.00/month via PayPal || Full Donation Information || Make a One-Time Donation
SITE NEWS: Incriminating Pictures & Your Safety
Be a part of the Dextroverse DXM Community!
Registration is free and only takes a moment!
Choose a Username and Password, Login, Write a Short 200-Word Introduction, and Join the Community!

- Gain Access to 15+ Member Only Forums!
- Be able to Reply and Post New Topics!
- Comment on Latest DXM News!
- Access to a Private Messenger!
- Access to your own Control Panel!
- Be able to create your own Profile!
- Set your own options of how to view the forums!
- Use Many More Member Features!
( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar
Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Children's Deaths Lead To FDA Hearing On, Cough Medication's Efficacy in Children
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
The JoKer
  Posted: Oct 18 2007, 02:27 PM

yay now I can write arbitrary text!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7541

Dex related so I thought I'd post this.

"A few months later, the results came back. The cause of death: Dextromethorphan intoxication. Devon's family says they were told later that Devon's body could not metabolize one of the key ingredients found in many infant cold and cough medicines."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/10/17/cough...aths/index.html

Poor kid.

This post has been edited by sam^4 on Oct 18 2007, 09:37 PM

--------------------

KINGOFTHEFOREST
Posted: Oct 18 2007, 02:41 PM

Madison Young St. Jamirez

Member No.: 10864

fuck i fail nevermind this is CYP2D6 discussion.

This post has been edited by madisonyoungstjamirez on Oct 18 2007, 02:42 PM

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KzCAlc5H5Y

sam^4
Posted: Oct 18 2007, 02:45 PM

:3ewm

Group: Staff
Member No.: 7308

poor parents sad.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
-o-SC<:348

metatron
Posted: Oct 18 2007, 03:11 PM

Dextroverse Regular

Member No.: 9256

that's terrible. it is an all to real reminder that people need to test with smaller doses prior to ever taking a recreational dose of dxm, just to ensure that the same does not happen to them. sad.gif

--------------------
user posted image

QUOTE (Aldous Huxley)
Nobody can have the consolations of religion or philosophy unless he has first experienced their desolations.

Monoliath
Posted: Oct 18 2007, 03:28 PM

Tryptogryphical Time-Keeper

Member No.: 2754

R.I.P. Devon

--------------------
If you wanna live in a world in which all the dangers are "taken care of" for you then you must give up all your freedom. Don't be surprised if you suddenly find that not only are the dangers are still there, but there are even more of them, with the greatest of them coming from the very entity you trusted to "protect" you. And you'll be a slave, since that's what it means to not have any freedom.

I, for one, would rather live with danger and retain my freedom. I'd much rather live with the probability of being killed by a terrorist than give up an ounce of my freedom to "fight" those terrorists.

"guitar hero is horrible. i hate it. it's a representation of the decline of everything in this world" - Amide

Reverend Tulasi
Posted: Oct 18 2007, 03:45 PM

Third Plateau

Member No.: 11468

From a philosophical point of view, it's a strange concept to come into this world only to leave 4 months later. I really feel for the parents, having a little boy myself.

--------------------

Add Me on MySpace!

KINGOFTHEFOREST
Posted: Oct 18 2007, 04:56 PM

Madison Young St. Jamirez

Member No.: 10864

oh noes. all forces are conspiring. five moms & now a grandma.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KzCAlc5H5Y

Choker
Posted: Oct 18 2007, 04:58 PM

I was peaceful.

Member No.: 8664

Shit thats sad sad.gif

--------------------
I die in my daydreams.

Once you know you can never go back

AFireInside
Posted: Oct 18 2007, 05:39 PM

First Plateau

Member No.: 10247

Nobody's fault but the person who trusts anybody besides themselves. And nobody can even trust themselves. It's all... Too much for human words. The women trusted the doctor... (Whom, according to society [Because he has all these super, duper college degrees] is the person to say whether or not somebody should take a medicine) Always look into something. Always do your research. Never put shit in a baby, who is much smaller than anybody else, and more sensitive to dose. I seriously contemplated whether or not to post that. Too late now. =/

I'm pissed at the world.

--------------------
user posted image

You can feel the waves coming on. (It's time to take the time) Let them destroy you or carry you on. (It's time to take the time) You're fighting the weight of the world, but no one can save you this
time. Close your eyes. You can find all you need in your mind.

Take the Time by Dream Theater ("Each member of the band wrote a section of the lyrics. The lyrics reflect their feelings about the long, frustrating period of the band's early history during which they were searching for a new vocalist.")

Temüjin
Posted: Oct 18 2007, 06:36 PM

Fix

Member No.: 5213

I wonder how much they gave him.

Moving to DXM News.

--------------------
"One of the most dominant views of man is the material view. The motto of this concept is ‘Eat, drink and be merry.’ The problem was that I had eaten, I had drunk – but still wasn’t merry." - Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam

Robitussin is manic depression in a bottle.

Liquid Fiend
Posted: Oct 18 2007, 07:21 PM

R.I.P

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2119

I wonder how much they gave him.

Curious about that myself.

"There's no evidence that they actually work"

LOL

--------------------
"anytime anybody ever talks about you, either directly or indirectly, they put a quarter in your immortal meter. They keep you alive, whether they want to or not. They practically do the opposite of what they want to do, which is forget you"

Death, you'll find.. is ocean breath & sky mind

Temüjin
Posted: Oct 18 2007, 08:12 PM

Fix

I didn't realize we had duplicate threads. I merged them and cleaned it up a bit.

--------------------
"One of the most dominant views of man is the material view. The motto of this concept is ‘Eat, drink and be merry.’ The problem was that I had eaten, I had drunk – but still wasn’t merry." - Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam

Kaiserin
Posted: Oct 18 2007, 08:18 PM

eudaimonistic oikeiôsis

Member No.: 1866

Over the past two years, 1,500 babies and toddlers have wound up in emergency rooms after having a bad reaction to cold medicines, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Then perhaps it's use in infants should be reevaluated.

"There's no evidence that they actually work"

For the directed usage, this is actually more or less true, it's not anymore effective than a placebo dose in most studies.

However, when separated by treatment group, no significant differences were found for any of the outcome measures when comparing the effects of DPH, DM, and PL

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/.../full/114/1/e85

--------------------
"I don't come from a moralistic,religious,ethical, or hell by most accounts even healthy background. If I have it within me to wish for the greater good of others and the awareness that I should act on those intentions even if they can cause me a considerable amount of pain, why not everyone else? I'm certainly not under any sort of impression that I'm special after all."

Monoliath
Posted: Oct 18 2007, 08:52 PM

To the O.P. you've posted a dupe, I already posted a full article on this story...why is this double posted on the front page of the site?

--------------------
If you wanna live in a world in which all the dangers are "taken care of" for you then you must give up all your freedom. Don't be surprised if you suddenly find that not only are the dangers are still there, but there are even more of them, with the greatest of them coming from the very entity you trusted to "protect" you. And you'll be a slave, since that's what it means to not have any freedom.

I, for one, would rather live with danger and retain my freedom. I'd much rather live with the probability of being killed by a terrorist than give up an ounce of my freedom to "fight" those terrorists.

"guitar hero is horrible. i hate it. it's a representation of the decline of everything in this world" - Amide

Temüjin
Posted: Oct 18 2007, 09:08 PM

Fix

Sorry Mono, but he beat you to it, so I kept his post when I merged the threads. tongue.gif

--------------------

Monoliath
Posted: Oct 18 2007, 09:10 PM

Ok, I was just wondering what in the hell had happened!!

Right on smile.gif

--------------------

ZachShalack
Posted: Oct 19 2007, 01:39 AM

Member No.: 11145

Well doctors are people too. 70 cases isn't really enough to base a suggestion on. In my oppinion of course.

This post has been edited by ZachShalack on Oct 19 2007, 01:44 AM

--------------------

The Onyxmizer
Posted: Oct 19 2007, 04:55 PM

Member No.: 11010

I think this is going to be the final straw for the FDA to pull DXM. Now they could just add it to the warning due to the apparent infrequency, but this still doesn't look god for us.

STOCK PILE!

--------------------
user posted image

drkkain
Posted: Oct 23 2007, 03:18 PM

First Plateau

Member No.: 8010

Just think of the good side to it, robitussin/dxm ingredient containing products will be on major sale for a while.

--------------------

PERSIOSYS.ORG

Psychotic Break
Posted: Oct 23 2007, 05:28 PM

Perpetually perpetual, indefinately

Member No.: 9102

Why would you give your infant cough medicine anyway? It's not good for you, it's only supposed to lessen the symptoms although the cold is still there.

An infant is not even going to remember that cold in a few months, why do they need to be taking medicine? It's always seemed to me that giving babies medicine when it isn't absolutely necessary was a bad idea.

--------------------

20 replies since Oct 18 2007, 02:27 PM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Pages: (2) [1] 2 
<< Back to DXM-related News

© 2000-2007 Dextroverse Inc.

Site developed by Void

Site redesign by Væ§ølis

Forum Skin & Designs by PeoplesMind