Printable Version of Topic
Click here to view this topic in its original format
Dextroverse Community > DXM-related News > Children's Deaths Lead To FDA Hearing On

Posted by: The JoKer Oct 18 2007, 02:27 PM
Dex related so I thought I'd post this.

"A few months later, the results came back. The cause of death: Dextromethorphan intoxication. Devon's family says they were told later that Devon's body could not metabolize one of the key ingredients found in many infant cold and cough medicines."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/10/17/cough.syrup.deaths/index.html

Poor kid.

Posted by: KINGOFTHEFOREST Oct 18 2007, 02:41 PM
fuck i fail nevermind this is CYP2D6 discussion.

Posted by: sam^4 Oct 18 2007, 02:45 PM
poor parents sad.gif

Posted by: metatron Oct 18 2007, 03:11 PM
that's terrible. it is an all to real reminder that people need to test with smaller doses prior to ever taking a recreational dose of dxm, just to ensure that the same does not happen to them. sad.gif

Posted by: Monoliath Oct 18 2007, 03:28 PM
R.I.P. Devon

Posted by: Reverend Tulasi Oct 18 2007, 03:45 PM
From a philosophical point of view, it's a strange concept to come into this world only to leave 4 months later. I really feel for the parents, having a little boy myself.

Posted by: KINGOFTHEFOREST Oct 18 2007, 04:56 PM
oh noes. all forces are conspiring. five moms & now a grandma.

Posted by: Choker Oct 18 2007, 04:58 PM
Shit thats sad sad.gif

Posted by: AFireInside Oct 18 2007, 05:39 PM
Nobody's fault but the person who trusts anybody besides themselves. And nobody can even trust themselves. It's all... Too much for human words. The women trusted the doctor... (Whom, according to society [Because he has all these super, duper college degrees] is the person to say whether or not somebody should take a medicine) Always look into something. Always do your research. Never put shit in a baby, who is much smaller than anybody else, and more sensitive to dose. I seriously contemplated whether or not to post that. Too late now. =/

I'm pissed at the world.

Posted by: Tem�jin Oct 18 2007, 06:36 PM
I wonder how much they gave him.

Moving to DXM News.

Posted by: Liquid Fiend Oct 18 2007, 07:21 PM
I wonder how much they gave him.

Curious about that myself.

"There's no evidence that they actually work"

LOL

Posted by: Tem�jin Oct 18 2007, 08:12 PM
I didn't realize we had duplicate threads. I merged them and cleaned it up a bit.

Posted by: Kaiserin Oct 18 2007, 08:18 PM
Over the past two years, 1,500 babies and toddlers have wound up in emergency rooms after having a bad reaction to cold medicines, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Then perhaps it's use in infants should be reevaluated.

"There's no evidence that they actually work"

For the directed usage, this is actually more or less true, it's not anymore effective than a placebo dose in most studies.

However, when separated by treatment group, no significant differences were found for any of the outcome measures when comparing the effects of DPH, DM, and PL

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/114/1/e85

Posted by: Monoliath Oct 18 2007, 08:52 PM
To the O.P. you've posted a dupe, I already posted a full article on this story...why is this double posted on the front page of the site?

Posted by: Tem�jin Oct 18 2007, 09:08 PM
Sorry Mono, but he beat you to it, so I kept his post when I merged the threads. tongue.gif

Posted by: Monoliath Oct 18 2007, 09:10 PM
Ok, I was just wondering what in the hell had happened!!

Right on smile.gif

Posted by: ZachShalack Oct 19 2007, 01:39 AM
Well doctors are people too. 70 cases isn't really enough to base a suggestion on. In my oppinion of course.

Posted by: The Onyxmizer Oct 19 2007, 04:55 PM
I think this is going to be the final straw for the FDA to pull DXM. Now they could just add it to the warning due to the apparent infrequency, but this still doesn't look god for us.

STOCK PILE!

Posted by: drkkain Oct 23 2007, 03:18 PM
Just think of the good side to it, robitussin/dxm ingredient containing products will be on major sale for a while.

Posted by: Psychotic Break Oct 23 2007, 05:28 PM
Why would you give your infant cough medicine anyway? It's not good for you, it's only supposed to lessen the symptoms although the cold is still there.

An infant is not even going to remember that cold in a few months, why do they need to be taking medicine? It's always seemed to me that giving babies medicine when it isn't absolutely necessary was a bad idea.

Posted by: AdultSWIM Oct 28 2007, 07:42 AM
QUOTE (The Onyxmizer @ Oct 19 2007, 04:55 PM)
I think this is going to be the final straw for the FDA to pull DXM. Now they could just add it to the warning due to the apparent infrequency, but this still doesn't look god for us.

STOCK PILE!

No, if anything, just instruct parents (you know, maybe with a warning label) to NOT GIVE DRUGS TO BABIES.

Oh wait, they're doing that now

"In August, federal health officials recommended the "consult your physician" advice to parents on the labels of cold and cough medicines aimed at young children be replaced by a warning not to use the medications in children under 2 unless directed to do so by a health care provider.

I don't know. I don't plan on having kids, but if I had an infant, especially knowing what I know about DXM and other OTC drugs, I wouldn't put that shit in them. Not unless maybe a doctor prescribed them something because they were really fucked up somehow.