Server: irc.dextroverse.org
Ports: 6667 or 7000 SSL: 6697 or 9999
Room: #dextroverse

DV IRC How-To || mIRC Chat Link
Dextroverse Donations!
$65.00$100.00
Our goal is $100.00 in monthly donations to pay for the server costs
We currently have $65.00 per month.
Donate $5.00/month via PayPal || Full Donation Information || Make a One-Time Donation
SITE NEWS: Incriminating Pictures & Your Safety
Be a part of the Dextroverse DXM Community!
Registration is free and only takes a moment!
Choose a Username and Password, Login, Write a Short 200-Word Introduction, and Join the Community!

- Gain Access to 15+ Member Only Forums!
- Be able to Reply and Post New Topics!
- Comment on Latest DXM News!
- Access to a Private Messenger!
- Access to your own Control Panel!
- Be able to create your own Profile!
- Set your own options of how to view the forums!
- Use Many More Member Features!
( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Parents sue school over CCC's, Everett, WA
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
drdªv€
Posted: Jul 16 2007, 04:22 AM

Santa called me a HO... 3 times!

Group: Lead Administrators
Member No.: 140

EVERETT - Christine Lewis realizes she made a mistake in March when she handed out over-the-counter cold tablets to a friend at Everett High School.

The friend came back for more of the remedy, Coricidin, and swallowed them.

Later, the friend went to the school nurse, feeling ill.

The trail led back to Christine, 14.

Just handing out the pills is against school policy, and Christine at first was expelled. The punishment later became a suspension for the rest of the school year.

Now her father doesn't think she got a fair shake, and he's asked a federal court judge to rule that the high school and Everett School District violated Christine's rights.

The state is required to provide students with an education, and the school didn't offer some less severe punishment, Robby Lewis said in a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Seattle.

"Her constitutional rights were trampled on, and other students, too, because other students have been suspended for the same thing," said Lewis, a Seattle resident who works as a legal assistant for an administrative law judge.

Not only is dispensing over-the-counter medications to other students against Everett School District policy, but it also is against state law, district superintendent Carol Whitehead said.

"It's against the law to have medications at school unless they are prescribed," Whitehead said. "If a doctor prescribes it, it has to be kept in the office."

What has Lewis upset is the process through which his daughter was suspended. Among other things, he said his daughter was wrongfully detained in the school office while Everett police were called, and that he was not allowed to question witnesses during the hearing that led to his daughter's lengthy suspension.

Neither his daughter nor his ex-wife are enthusiastic about the lawsuit.

"I don't know why he has a lawsuit out," said Janeane Bradford, his ex-wife. "Christine doesn't want to be involved in it. It's her dad who's pursuing it. She just wants to go on."

Christine said she was aware of the district's policy when she gave her friend the cold medication.

"I wasn't thinking and when (the other student) asked me for it I gave it to her," she said. Christine said she will have to attend summer school or an alternative school to make up credits.

So what does she think of the lawsuit?

"I just think it's not worth it because I did something I wasn't supposed to and (the school) did what they were supposed to do," she said.

Her father said that Christine doesn't understand her constitutional rights and how he believes they were violated.

"The reason why I'm handling the lawsuit is because I understand what's at stake," Lewis said. "I struggled with my education to get where I am."

In the suit, Lewis alleges that the hearing process that led to the final punishment was flawed partly because a taped recording of the hearing was incomplete, and the hearing officer didn't have a chance to review that part of the discussion while contemplating the case.

Whitehead, the district superintendent, said she can't talk about any specific case.

"People don't think it's fair sometimes if they don't get the answer they want," Whitehead said. "We have worked with the hearing officer for a long time and we know he's competent."

Lewis said he has no beef with the hearing officer, just school policies and what he believes are violations of his daughter's rights that resulted in the suspension.

He can't get lost school time back for his daughter, "but you can get justice," he said. "For me, it's a matter of what the law says."

http://heraldnet.com/article/20070716/NEWS01/707160325

--------------------
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional. ;)

Know your body, Known your mind, Know your substance, Know your source

RIP RDT 12-27-65/6-04-06
Brother, Friend, Confidante & Co-Conspirator

"All of my heroes have now become ghosts"

"friends help you move... best friends help you move bodies."

Psychotic Break
Posted: Jul 16 2007, 12:28 PM

Perpetually perpetual, indefinately

Group: Members
Member No.: 9102

Wait, what? She knew the rules, she broke the rules, she pays the price. Correct? Where are her rights 'being trampled on'?

--------------------

hpi
Posted: Jul 17 2007, 03:56 PM

TOO HIGH TO POST LIKE AN ADULT

Member No.: 9163

Theres an exact same story as this except it was over 1 tylenol.

Man the schools here you can bring tylenol or dxm or something?

projectlucky
Posted: Jul 18 2007, 07:00 PM

Member No.: 10813

my friend got suspsended for giving her friend mydol. now thats frikken retarded.

hungerpuppy
Posted: Jul 19 2007, 12:35 AM

Filthy Old Man

Member No.: 5345

lol my friend stacy420 didn't get expelled when they found empty cough syrup bottles in the school trash and he admitted they were his, then they searched his car and found two full max strength bottles.
I wasn't expelled when I puked robogels all over the bathroom and left them there and was later caught by cameras.
We're lucky though.

--------------------
A statesmen is an easy man he tells his lies by rote
A journalist invents his lies and rams them down your throat!
So stay at home and drink your beer and let the neighbors vote. - WB Yeats

Is adult entertainment killing children or is killing children entertaining adults? - Marilyn Manson

Imposition of order = Escalation of chaos. - many smart people

faustus
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 01:13 PM

Second Plateau

Member No.: 10965

There are these things most towns have called public libraries. Also there's the internet, Barnes and Noble, Amazon. Nobody needs school to learn.

School is an almost complete waste of time. The purpose of school is to assimilate kids into mass culture. If they get some education, that's a bonus, so long as it helps them contribute to the economy.

The purpose of public education is not to make renaissance men and women, boys and girls, or to teach anyone to think critically.

The only useful things I learned in school were how to play "kill the pig; spill its blood", a bit about misanthropology; this has nothing to do with the curriculum.

I got kicked out of school and forced to go to an "alternative", meaning "no alternative" school for a year and a half. During that time, no curricular education took place. The classes were meant to be at a level at which the very most ignorant and disinterested students could learn a little (and some of those students were really inept). The teachers weren't competent to teach anything above a fifth grade level at a high school. The school building was a dump that would have been torn down if not for the cost of removing the asbestos. Yet they claimed that it cost more per pupil to educate students in this manner than for the general population. No doubt that extra money went to the salaries of burly male teachers' assistants who were only there to assist if one of the kids flipped out. Some wound up with broken bones. Nowadays they probably get tazered.

In spite of this, I scored in the top percent on the SAT and ACT.

Oh, and college was a waste of my time, too, except that the library was superior, and Cine Club was alright.

So fuck it. Public education amounts to child abuse, as far as I'm concerned. It's almost as bad as church.

Now kids, for tomorrow, I want you all to finish act one of "Death of a Salesman", and, whatever you do, DON'T READ AHEAD. Then we'll dicuss the importance of being well liked.

--------------------
Boise listens carefully to how our customers use paper. We strive to simplify and enhance each paper experience. The result is a wide variety of innovative solutions that open up a new world of paper possibilities. That's why the Boise brand is trusted by millions. Boise. Beyond What's Expected.™

dextromancer
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 03:37 PM

Robotron: 2084

Member No.: 8460

Lewis has some unsettled beef from when he was in high school.

--------------------
everything i touch turns into robitussin. o_0

Criptin
Posted: Nov 22 2007, 03:56 PM

Dextroverse Regular

Member No.: 12047

I dont know, my principal has given me advil when I had a headache (without parental consnt), I dont understand why these schools are persuing pointless expulsions for nothing. Trying to make examples out of them?

--------------------
user posted image
-----------Science Hates You-----------
Drugs And The Government. The Two Things That You Will Never Have Full Control Over.

7 replies since Jul 16 2007, 04:22 AM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic

<< Back to DXM-related News

© 2000-2007 Dextroverse Inc.

Site developed by Void

Site redesign by Væ§ølis

Forum Skin & Designs by PeoplesMind