Server: irc.dextroverse.org
Ports: 6667 or 7000 SSL: 6697 or 9999
Room: #dextroverse

DV IRC How-To || mIRC Chat Link
Dextroverse Donations!
$65.00$100.00
Our goal is $100.00 in monthly donations to pay for the server costs
We currently have $65.00 per month.
Donate $5.00/month via PayPal || Full Donation Information || Make a One-Time Donation
SITE NEWS: Incriminating Pictures & Your Safety
Be a part of the Dextroverse DXM Community!
Registration is free and only takes a moment!
Choose a Username and Password, Login, Write a Short 200-Word Introduction, and Join the Community!

- Gain Access to 15+ Member Only Forums!
- Be able to Reply and Post New Topics!
- Comment on Latest DXM News!
- Access to a Private Messenger!
- Access to your own Control Panel!
- Be able to create your own Profile!
- Set your own options of how to view the forums!
- Use Many More Member Features!
( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

14 year sentences for smuggling cough pills, Moscow, Russia
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
drdªv€
Posted: Sep 10 2007, 10:47 AM

Santa called me a HO... 3 times!

Group: Lead Administrators
Member No.: 140

MOSCOW, September 10 (RIA Novosti) - Moscow's Tverskoi Court has sentenced two Belarusians to 14 years in prison for smuggling 1,000 cough pills containing psychotropic substances, a defense lawyer said Monday.

The two men will spend 14 years in secure confinement for delivering 1,000 Tussal cough tablets to Moscow and selling them to an undercover narcotics officer.

The lawyer said the pair's offense was at best an administrative offense, as the pills were not included on a list of substances prohibited in Russia.

Tussal contains dextromethorphan hydrobromide, a cough suppressant, which in high doses is classified as a hallucinogenic drug. However, the annotation to the medicine says that even small children may take the pills.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070910/77706602.html

--------------------
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional. ;)

Know your body, Known your mind, Know your substance, Know your source

RIP RDT 12-27-65/6-04-06
Brother, Friend, Confidante & Co-Conspirator

"All of my heroes have now become ghosts"

"friends help you move... best friends help you move bodies."

Monoliath
Posted: Sep 10 2007, 10:53 AM

Tryptogryphical Time-Keeper

Group: Staff
Member No.: 2754

Seems like a little bit of an overkill to me:

1. The substance was legal

2. Perhaps the amount / method of shipment was what cranked the sentence so high?

Good luck to em...

--------------------
If you wanna live in a world in which all the dangers are "taken care of" for you then you must give up all your freedom. Don't be surprised if you suddenly find that not only are the dangers are still there, but there are even more of them, with the greatest of them coming from the very entity you trusted to "protect" you. And you'll be a slave, since that's what it means to not have any freedom.

I, for one, would rather live with danger and retain my freedom. I'd much rather live with the probability of being killed by a terrorist than give up an ounce of my freedom to "fight" those terrorists.

"guitar hero is horrible. i hate it. it's a representation of the decline of everything in this world" - Amide

thomasKMFDM
Posted: Sep 10 2007, 02:27 PM

Urine Shaman/Anal Sex Advocate

Member No.: 1004

This is russia. that type of defense is considered extremely weak.

--------------------
<lucid|ril|aniracetam> " identify your personal god to help you master your horrible disease, junkie "

Wall graffiti in the Paris student uprising in in the late 60s:
"I CAN'T BELIEVE PEOPLE ARE STILL CHRISTIANS"

http://myspace.com/thomaskmfdm

VisionQuest
Posted: Sep 10 2007, 03:30 PM

All Dressed Up and I'm Ready to Play

Group: Members
Member No.: 143

Jesus Christ... Russia sounds like a fascist shit hole...

They're probably just pissy because they have nothing to offer the world; their climate sucks a worm-infested camel's anus, and the only thing even close to "talent" to come out of there in the last decade was Tatu, and they only had one hit (that obnoxious, mediocre and repetitious song "All The Things She Said"). They weren't even real lesbians for fucks' sake. God. Someone please get Russia laid.

This post has been edited by VisionQuest on Sep 10 2007, 03:34 PM

--------------------

vapor
Posted: Sep 10 2007, 03:46 PM

[may.nos.reperio.obscurum]

Group: IRC Operators
Member No.: 1289

well yes the sentence does seem excessive by any standard, however i would have to guess it was due to the fact that such a large amount crossed borders. if they had say, gotten the tabs from a local source, it would have probably been much different.

distribution and conspiracy to distribute charges are far different than trafficking laws =/

also, a quick search on tussal turns up this:

Tussal-ER Sustained-Release Tablets Generic Name: Dexbrompheniramine/Dextromethorphan/Phenylephrine Sustained-Release Tablets

Phenylephrine or Neo-Synephrine is an α-adrenergic receptor agonist used primarily as a decongestant, as an agent to dilate the pupil and to increase blood pressure. Phenylephrine has recently been marketed as a substitute for pseudoephedrine

Dexbrompheniramine maleate is an antihistamine used to treat allergic conditions such as hay fever or urticaria.

totally not sure if they are the same tabs, but if they are, that sucks for the ppl that would have bought them =/

This post has been edited by vapor on Sep 10 2007, 03:51 PM

--------------------
user posted image

infinite
Posted: Sep 10 2007, 10:56 PM

Plateau Sigma

Member No.: 10764

14 years for 1000 cough pills... jesus...that's way too long.

--------------------
Be at peace with your mind for in the end it is all you will have
-Me
Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful.

Matter is NOT made up of matter.
God will send you to a place of fire and pain if you don't agree with him....but he LOVES YOU!!!
All powerful, all knowing, but he can't handle money, either!!

Kid Dynomiite
Posted: Sep 11 2007, 04:03 AM

First Plateau

Member No.: 7786

WHAT DA FUUUUUCCCKKK!!!

itzz starting...

This post has been edited by Kid Dynomiite on Sep 11 2007, 04:16 AM

Amide
Posted: Sep 11 2007, 07:53 AM

this is just a nightmare

Member No.: 8063

lol, russia

--------------------
I no longer feel as you do: this cloud which I see beneath me, this blackness and gravity at which I laugh--this is your thundercloud.
You look up when you feel the need for elevation. And I look down because I am elevated. Who among you can laugh and be elevated at the same time? Whoever climbs the highest mountains laughs at all tragic plays and tragic seriousness.

Energy Turtle
Posted: Sep 11 2007, 04:04 PM

Human, After All...

Member No.: 7565

In Soviet Russia, cough pills smuggle YOU!

--------------------
"To shed the boring, accepted realities that suffocate the majority, and embrace or confront what lies beyond. Confronting a sea, a moor, or standing upon a mountain, you can almost hear the unknown, invisible presences; you know they are there, almost within touch, speaking an arcane language, and you feel the power rise up within you as you become a receiver to such sublime presences. A pantheistic and atavistic surge of ultimate energy and power, and it makes you laugh with pure delight or cry with gratitude. Some may interpret the metaphysical revitilisation as a religious experience. Others as a pagan source of power, causing them to laugh and dance with savage delight at the cosmic insignificance of humanity. The nature of unconditional freedom is instinctively seized and wielded."

koala infestation... robots
Posted: Sep 12 2007, 11:54 AM

Marsupialian Guru

Member No.: 8963

QUOTE (Energy Turtle @ Sep 11 2007, 03:04 PM)
In Soviet Russia, cough pills smuggle YOU!

The article has nothing to do with the USSR.

14 years x 365.25 days a year = 5113.5 days
5113.5 days( 24 hours) = 122,724 hours
112,724 hours / 1000 pills = 122.724 hours per pill
.724 (60 seconds) = 43.44 seconds

122 hours and 43 seconds (about 5 days) per pill. Outrageous.

--------------------

Kaiserin
Posted: Sep 12 2007, 06:16 PM

eudaimonistic oikeiôsis

Member No.: 1866

QUOTE (Monoliath @ Sep 10 2007, 10:53 AM)
Seems like a little bit of an overkill to me:

1. The substance was legal

2. Perhaps the amount / method of shipment was what cranked the sentence so high?

Good luck to em...

I think it primarily has to do with them skirting around trade laws. International commerce is taken pretty seriously, and a lot of tax money is made from the tariffs placed on imports and exports of certain goods. The fact that it was a drug at all is rather shady to top it off because almost any reasonably developed country I can think of takes issue with unlicensed people handling drugs and moving them around.

Frankly, it's a lot of pharmaceutical company politics when it comes down to it in my opinion.

--------------------
"I don't come from a moralistic,religious,ethical, or hell by most accounts even healthy background. If I have it within me to wish for the greater good of others and the awareness that I should act on those intentions even if they can cause me a considerable amount of pain, why not everyone else? I'm certainly not under any sort of impression that I'm special after all."

Energy Turtle
Posted: Sep 12 2007, 07:55 PM

Human, After All...

Member No.: 7565

Fuck you and your raining on my parade. Russia is Russia, it's still a fucked up place, as evidenced by the article.

--------------------
"To shed the boring, accepted realities that suffocate the majority, and embrace or confront what lies beyond. Confronting a sea, a moor, or standing upon a mountain, you can almost hear the unknown, invisible presences; you know they are there, almost within touch, speaking an arcane language, and you feel the power rise up within you as you become a receiver to such sublime presences. A pantheistic and atavistic surge of ultimate energy and power, and it makes you laugh with pure delight or cry with gratitude. Some may interpret the metaphysical revitilisation as a religious experience. Others as a pagan source of power, causing them to laugh and dance with savage delight at the cosmic insignificance of humanity. The nature of unconditional freedom is instinctively seized and wielded."

Kaiserin
Posted: Sep 12 2007, 08:01 PM

eudaimonistic oikeiôsis

Member No.: 1866

QUOTE (Energy Turtle @ Sep 12 2007, 07:55 PM)

Fuck you and your raining on my parade. Russia is Russia, it's still a fucked up place, as evidenced by the article.

Eh, I think he made a pretty decent point. I also think stuff like this happens all the time on the U.S. Mexico border as well. Russia isn't the soviet union, and it hasn't been for almost 17 years now. As a matter of fact, the only two years of your life that the soviet union existed were in a time where you were scarcely aware of what even went on in your own house.

Everywhere is fucked up, Russia just has a different brand of fucked up than we do.

--------------------
"I don't come from a moralistic,religious,ethical, or hell by most accounts even healthy background. If I have it within me to wish for the greater good of others and the awareness that I should act on those intentions even if they can cause me a considerable amount of pain, why not everyone else? I'm certainly not under any sort of impression that I'm special after all."

Rigor
Posted: Sep 12 2007, 11:33 PM

wheelchair burrito

Member No.: 3274

thats like 71 pills per year

--------------------
Good news, I just figured out what that thing that you just burned up did. It was a morality core they installed after I flooded the Enrichment Center with a deadly neurotoxin to make me stop flooding the Enrichment Center with a deadly neurotoxin. So get comfortable while I warm up the neurotoxin emitters.
0010110 00101

The JoKer
Posted: Oct 25 2007, 03:44 PM

yay now I can write arbitrary text!!

Member No.: 7541

That's horrible for them, especially considering it's a LEGAL substance.

--------------------

DEXmonic
Posted: Oct 27 2007, 03:29 PM

Dextroverse Regular

Member No.: 9299

Yeh, I assumed it had something more to do with taxes and whatnot. There are only two things in life you can be sure of: Death and Taxes.

--------------------
user posted image

Space Monkey
Posted: Oct 27 2007, 03:32 PM

Veteran

Group: Lead Administrators
Member No.: 191

People who are sure they're going to die are just lazy.

--------------------
"There are moments, and it is only a matter of five or six seconds, when you feel the presence of the eternal harmony ... a terrible thing is the frightful clearness with which it manifests itself and the rapture with which it fills you. If this state were to last more than five seconds, the soul could not endure it and would have to disappear. During these five seconds I live a whole human existence, and for that I would give my whole life and not think I was paying too dearly."

Liquid Fiend
Posted: Oct 27 2007, 03:50 PM

R.I.P

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2119

QUOTE 4 TR00F

--------------------
"anytime anybody ever talks about you, either directly or indirectly, they put a quarter in your immortal meter. They keep you alive, whether they want to or not. They practically do the opposite of what they want to do, which is forget you"

Death, you'll find.. is ocean breath & sky mind

Criptin
Posted: Nov 22 2007, 03:35 PM

Dextroverse Regular

Member No.: 12047

Rofl at Russia

--------------------
user posted image
-----------Science Hates You-----------
Drugs And The Government. The Two Things That You Will Never Have Full Control Over.

18 replies since Sep 10 2007, 10:47 AM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic

<< Back to DXM-related News

© 2000-2007 Dextroverse Inc.

Site developed by Void

Site redesign by Væ§ølis

Forum Skin & Designs by PeoplesMind