Server: irc.dextroverse.org
Ports: 6667 or 7000 SSL: 6697 or 9999
Room: #dextroverse

DV IRC How-To || mIRC Chat Link
Dextroverse Donations!
$65.00$100.00
Our goal is $100.00 in monthly donations to pay for the server costs
We currently have $65.00 per month.
Donate $5.00/month via PayPal || Full Donation Information || Make a One-Time Donation
SITE NEWS: Incriminating Pictures & Your Safety
Be a part of the Dextroverse DXM Community!
Registration is free and only takes a moment!
Choose a Username and Password, Login, Write a Short 200-Word Introduction, and Join the Community!

- Gain Access to 15+ Member Only Forums!
- Be able to Reply and Post New Topics!
- Comment on Latest DXM News!
- Access to a Private Messenger!
- Access to your own Control Panel!
- Be able to create your own Profile!
- Set your own options of how to view the forums!
- Use Many More Member Features!
( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Cold Hard Facts: Teens Abusing Cold Medicine, Terre Haute, IN
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
drdªv€
Posted: Nov 26 2007, 08:06 PM

HO HO HO's ;)

Group: Lead Administrators
Member No.: 140

Wintertime means the cold and flu season, but did you know it's cold medicine that's actually killing some of our kids?

I'm not talking about a recall on some messed-up medicine. I'm here to give parents the cold hard facts on an epidemic in the Wabash Valley that involves your kids.

What's the latest drug of choice for Wabash Valley teens?

Meth, pot, speed? Try cold pills.

At first it was the cool thing to do. Triple C's man they're awesome!

This Terre Haute teenager is a recovering drug addict. She doesn't want us to give you her name or show her face, but she did want to help us by talking candidly about a growing danger in our area.

Innocent looking enough, but cold pills are killing our kids. The next time you open the family medicine cabinet think about this. We as parents look at this box and simply see what the label says Coricidin Cough and Cold, but local teens look at this stuff as Triple C. Taken a sheet at a time. Triple C's act as a very strong hallucinogen. Some say as powerful at PCP. An old drug that's becoming a new emergency in the Wabash Valley, growing in epidemic proportions.

"8 out of every 10 kids I see as a clinician take or have tried Triple C," said Clayton Sparks, Addictions Counselor. "It's the dextromethorphan or dxm in coricidin that's the problem. A cough suppressant that when abused can cause out of body hallucinations."

"It just makes you feel like you're in slow motion. Sometimes it scares you at first. At first you don't think it hits you but then as soon as you stand up, you think everyone's in slow motion. It probably lasts about three hours," said recovering addict.

This young woman started taking Triple C's when she was 14. She says it was the cold pills that got her interested in harder stuff. A parent's nightmare.

"My friends started stealing them talking about getting really messed up off them and they're really cool. So all of a sudden I took them," said Recovering Addict.

So many kids are stealing the over the counter meds, almost all local pharmacies now keep Coricidin Cough and Cold behind the pharmacy counter. But even new restrictions aren't keeping parents from knowingly keeping them in the family pantry.

And our undercover teenager says don't be fooled, Triple C's are a triple threat. Practically all middle schools like every single kid has probably done Triple C's. It's out there and everybody knows about it.

The long term effects of abusing this drug can ultimately lead to depression and suicide.

WHAT PARENTS CAN DO TO PREVENT COLD MEDICINE ABUSE:

- Educate yourself about cold medicine abuse and share the information with others who are in contact with your teen, such as school administrators, coaches and counselors.

- Make sure you're aware of the signs of cold medicine abuse and what to watch out for.

- Communicate with your teen!

- Be clear that you don't want your teen taking medicine without your knowledge.

- Teach your teens and younger children to respect medicines. Medicines are an important tool in healthcare, but they must be used according to directions.

- Make sure your teen understands that abusing cold pills, just like abusing illegal drugs, can be very dangerous.

- Safeguard medications at home and other places.

- Know what medicines are in your home and pay attention to quantities.

- Keep all medications out of reach and out of easily accessible places like medicine cabinets.

Side effects of DXM abuse include: Confusion, impaired judgement, blurred vision, dizziness, paranoia, excessive sweating, slurred speech, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, headache, lethargy, consciousness, seizures, brain damage, and even death.

http://www.wthitv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7...8&nav;=menu593_2

--------------------
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional. ;)

Know your body, Known your mind, Know your substance, Know your source

RIP RDT 12-27-65/6-04-06
Brother, Friend, Confidante & Co-Conspirator

"All of my heroes have now become ghosts"

"friends help you move... best friends help you move bodies."

lund
Posted: Nov 26 2007, 10:47 PM

Third Plateau

Group: Members
Member No.: 10528

fuck fuck fucking bullshit worthless pieces of shit. i just want my goddamn cough syrup without having to steal it or pay some random adult to buy it for me, and articles like this sure as fuck aren't helping.

--------------------
"The cough syrup is kickin' in again."-Adam Sandler

the_unforgiven
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 12:01 AM

Plateau Sigma

Member No.: 8107

I agree. It's these damn kids and their CCC's.

HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE DIED FROM "RESPONSIBLE"* DRUG USE?

None that I know of...

It's the dextromethorphan or dxm in coricidin that's the problem

Actually, douchebag, it's the antihistamine.

If more kids popped 'gellies and less C's... I'm SURE there would be a ten-fold decrease in adolescent deaths resulting from cough medicine abuse.

'nuff said.

*Responsible use constitutes medium doses in controlled settings, where appropriate measures are taken to avoid personal injury.

This post has been edited by the_unforgiven on Nov 27 2007, 12:03 AM

--------------------
Scientologists, Illuminati, 9/11, MK-ULTRA, Vietnam, CIA, NSA, FBI, Republicans, Democrats. Who's to trust anymore?
Create your stockpiles. Tomorrow is not far away...

Eloivore
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 03:15 AM

There is a subtle beauty in the thing

Group: Lead Administrators
Member No.: 3545

QUOTE (the_unforgiven @ Nov 27 2007, 12:01 AM)
HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE DIED FROM "RESPONSIBLE"* DRUG USE?

None that I know of...

Maybe you haven't met enough people. Responsibility minimizes risks, but it doesn't eliminate them.

--------------------
"... the feverish delusions and utter helplessness is learned and best not overdone. quit sucking on the teat of dr mom" - libel

"When the Man finally comes knocking on your door, it doesn't matter whose grandparents wore the funniest hats on Sunday." - Telkandore

"the shittiest part about the internet is that we can mix baby taunts with heavier concepts, top it off with graphic imagery, and go home feeling like we just did something smart." - d8ff752

Scynne
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 03:38 AM

Bricolage

Member No.: 6898

Why don't you just stop posting these? They just make me depressed. On the other hand, I'm the one who reads EVERY ONE OF THEM! Nevertheless, you, Dr.Dave, are a bearer of bad news.

--------------------
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." ~ Friedrich Neitzsche

vxcasualty
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 03:39 AM

Observer/Operator

Group: Staff
Member No.: 32

How odd, no mention of CPM. *dies of shock*

*dies again of sarcasm*

sad.gif

--------------------
Place a cloth over your head to hide your cruelty from the sight of God. Put the whole bird into your mouth, with only the beak protruding from your lips. Bite. Put the beak on your plate and begin chewing, gently. You will taste three things: First, the sweetness of the flesh and fat. This is God. Then, the bitterness of the guts will begin to overwhelm you. This is the suffering of Jesus. Finally, as your teeth break the small, delicate bones and they begin to lacerate your gums, you will taste the salt of your own blood, mingling with the richness of the fat and the bitterness of the organs. This is the Holy Spirit, the mystery of the Trinity—three united as one. It is cruel. And beautiful. According to Claude Souvenir, chewing the ortolan takes approximately 15 minutes.

5 replies since Nov 26 2007, 08:06 PM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic

<< Back to DXM-related News

© 2000-2007 Dextroverse Inc.

Site developed by Void

Site redesign by Væ§ølis

Forum Skin & Designs by PeoplesMind