Server: irc.dextroverse.org
Ports: 6667 or 7000 SSL: 6697 or 9999
Room: #dextroverse

DV IRC How-To || mIRC Chat Link
Dextroverse Donations!
$65.00$100.00
Our goal is $100.00 in monthly donations to pay for the server costs
We currently have $65.00 per month.
Donate $5.00/month via PayPal || Full Donation Information || Make a One-Time Donation
SITE NEWS: Incriminating Pictures & Your Safety
Be a part of the Dextroverse DXM Community!
Registration is free and only takes a moment!
Choose a Username and Password, Login, Write a Short 200-Word Introduction, and Join the Community!

- Gain Access to 15+ Member Only Forums!
- Be able to Reply and Post New Topics!
- Comment on Latest DXM News!
- Access to a Private Messenger!
- Access to your own Control Panel!
- Be able to create your own Profile!
- Set your own options of how to view the forums!
- Use Many More Member Features!
( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Teens using 'pharm parties' to get high, Chillicothe, OH
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
drdªv€
Posted: Aug 16 2007, 07:18 AM

HO HO HO's ;)

Group: Lead Administrators
Member No.: 140

The problem of illegal drug use and abuse has been well documented over the years, particularly when it applies to the nation's youth.

Lesser known, however, is the problem that exists with the use and abuse of prescription drugs that have led to a new national trend, "pharm parties," which involve participants getting together to sample different prescription medications in an effort to reach a high.

The speed at which such activity has grown caught even federal authorities off guard.

"We were taken by surprise when we started to see a high instance of abuse of prescription drugs," said Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute of Drug Abuse, which is collecting information about how teens perceive, get and use prescription drugs so it can create an effective prevention campaign.
Getting prescription medication and even cold medicine is not as easy as it used to be. The change has come largely because illegal drug manufacturers realized several of the ingredients in popular cold medications such as Sudafed and Robitussin could be used to make methamphetamines.

Now, state and federal laws require pharmacists check a picture ID for any controlled substance.

Because of the relatively benign reputation many prescription drugs have when compared to their illegal drug counterparts, many teenagers who engage in "pharm parties" and other prescription drug abuse to get a high don't realize they are putting their lives in danger.

"A lot of teenagers don't think about death," said Todd Holdren, principal of Zane Trace High School.

In a 2005 survey by the Partnership for a Drug-Free America, roughly 4.5 million youths reported they have taken OxyContin or Vicodin at some point. This marks a change from the traditional drug concerns.

"In the last 4 or 5 years, the drug problem has been marijuana and taking grandma's prescription," Holdren said. "Kids these days will do just about anything to get a high."

The local area is not exempt from such behavior. A few years ago, a Ross County high school student was hospitalized for tearing away a piece of a Tylenol patch that was on another student's stomach and swallowing it an attempt to get a high.

While local sheriff and police departments indicate they are aware of the increase in prescription drug abuse and are taking steps to combat it, schools are turning to education for answers. Many area schools offer programs to help steer kids away from substance abuse, such as the D.A.R.E. program, that helps drive home the consequences that can occur if they choose to go down that route.

"We try to educate our students in health classes and in the athletics department as well," said Holdren.

Area pharmacists also indicated there are certain brands of prescription drugs that are red flags to them if the wrong type of person seems to be purchasing them or if they suspect the medicine will be used for the wrong reasons. Pharmacists can choose not to make a sale if there is enough suspicion, and may even call the police if they feel it is warranted.

To try to reduce the supply of prescription drugs on the black market, national authorities have shut down several "pill mills" - where doctors prescribe inordinate amounts of narcotics - as well as Internet pharmacies that ship drugs with little medical consultation, said Catherine Harnett, chief of demand reduction for the Drug Enforcement Administration.

Last September, DEA agents arrested 18 people allegedly responsible for 4,600 such pharmacies.

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/apps/pbc...EWS01/708160303

--------------------
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional. ;)

Know your body, Known your mind, Know your substance, Know your source

RIP RDT 12-27-65/6-04-06
Brother, Friend, Confidante & Co-Conspirator

"All of my heroes have now become ghosts"

"friends help you move... best friends help you move bodies."

Energy Turtle
Posted: Aug 16 2007, 10:32 AM

Human, After All...

Group: Members
Member No.: 7565

and Robitussin could be used to make methamphetamines.

LOL, K.

--------------------
"To shed the boring, accepted realities that suffocate the majority, and embrace or confront what lies beyond. Confronting a sea, a moor, or standing upon a mountain, you can almost hear the unknown, invisible presences; you know they are there, almost within touch, speaking an arcane language, and you feel the power rise up within you as you become a receiver to such sublime presences. A pantheistic and atavistic surge of ultimate energy and power, and it makes you laugh with pure delight or cry with gratitude. Some may interpret the metaphysical revitilisation as a religious experience. Others as a pagan source of power, causing them to laugh and dance with savage delight at the cosmic insignificance of humanity. The nature of unconditional freedom is instinctively seized and wielded."

Lab Rat
Posted: Aug 16 2007, 10:43 AM

Test Subject

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 7567

WTLW Dave.

--------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_testing_on_rodents
In a past life, I was Thelonious Monk.

bruffellz
Posted: Aug 16 2007, 04:15 PM

Member No.: 11129

I never got got invited to any pharm parties. sad.gif

--------------------

thomasKMFDM
Posted: Aug 16 2007, 08:11 PM

Urine Shaman/Anal Sex Advocate

Group: Staff
Member No.: 1004

I was at a pharm party once. It was a birthday part of a coke dealer that gave me a half gram earlier that day. I ended up passing on everything I couldn't identify, which was a pity as I later identified the other pills to be hydros.

--------------------
<lucid|ril|aniracetam> " identify your personal god to help you master your horrible disease, junkie "

Wall graffiti in the Paris student uprising in in the late 60s:
"I CAN'T BELIEVE PEOPLE ARE STILL CHRISTIANS"

http://myspace.com/thomaskmfdm

Kang
Posted: Aug 17 2007, 12:13 AM

I was Mike

Member No.: 9491

QUOTE (bruffellz @ Aug 16 2007, 02:15 PM)

Same here, no one pharms in Nor Cal.

--------------------

Everything is relevant.

Rainbow
Posted: Aug 17 2007, 02:45 AM

I was Legal Drug Foundation NWZ

Member No.: 9574

QUOTE (TheGreatDeceiver @ Aug 16 2007, 10:32 AM)
and Robitussin could be used to make methamphetamines.

LOL, K.

Robitussin PS

Narc.

--------------------
When I see you sticky as lips
As licky as trips
I can't lick that far
But when you pout
The way you shout out loud
It makes me want to start
And when I see you happy as a girl
That swims in a world of magic show
It makes me bite my fingers through
To think I could've let you go

FleA
Posted: Aug 22 2007, 12:38 AM

Master J

Member No.: 2509

QUOTE (drdªv€ @ Aug 16 2007, 06:18 AM)
The local area is not exempt from such behavior. A few years ago, a Ross County high school student was hospitalized for tearing away a piece of a Tylenol patch that was on another student's stomach and swallowing it an attempt to get a high.

Yeah that happened to me once.

--------------------
<Crysknife007> drymouth just means you are having fun

ferk
Posted: Aug 22 2007, 12:48 AM

something must break

Member No.: 5181

QUOTE (Kang @ Aug 17 2007, 12:13 AM)

Are you kidding? Pills are all over California, especially among the rich kids. NorCal has a lot of rich kids.

--------------------
Listen to the silence, let it ring on. Eyes, dark grey lenses frightened of the sun. We would have a fine time living in the night,
Left to blind destruction,Waiting for our sight.

And we would go on as though nothing was wrong. And hide from these days we remained all alone. Staying in the same place, just staying out the time. Touching from a distance, Further all the time.

Kang
Posted: Aug 22 2007, 01:12 AM

I was Mike

Member No.: 9491

QUOTE (ferk @ Aug 21 2007, 10:48 PM)
QUOTE (Kang @ Aug 17 2007, 12:13 AM)

Are you kidding? Pills are all over California, especially among the rich kids. NorCal has a lot of rich kids.

Nah dude, everyone who has worthwhile meds won't sell. Anyways, if you say you want some pills where I live, it normally refers to thizz.

--------------------

Everything is relevant.

Furby
Posted: Aug 22 2007, 04:12 PM

Dextroverse Regular

Member No.: 9282

Yea apparently pain meds are big here in the midwest and appalachia. Check out this AP story from 2 days ago, "Pain Medicine Use Has Nearly Doubled"

--------------------
"Man is not the pedestalled creature pictured by his imagination - a being glittering with prerogatives, and towering apart from and above all other beings. He is a pain-shunning, pleasure-seeking, death-dreading organism, differing in particulars, but not in kind, from the pain-shunning, pleasure-seeking, death-dreading organisms below and around him." - Howard Moore

10 replies since Aug 16 2007, 07:18 AM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic

<< Back to DXM-related News

© 2000-2007 Dextroverse Inc.

Site developed by Void

Site redesign by Væ§ølis

Forum Skin & Designs by PeoplesMind