PDA

View Full Version : Kids Getting High Sipping on Sizzurp

drdĒv€
05-04-2006, 08:16 AM
May 3, 2006, 08:42 AM
You probably keep a close watch on your children for any signs of drug use.

But did you know that there is a new danger -- homemade drugs made from everyday items that may be right inside your home. And to make matters worse, some songs your teenagers are listening to are encouraging them to use this drug.

The drug is called Sizzurp and over-the-counter cough medicine is a key ingredient.

What use to be a treatment for the common cold is the latest trend in getting high and a growing problem in Connecticut

It's not just cough syrup but what's called Sizzurp -- also known as purple, lean or kryptonite. And there are dozens of songs promoting it.

Sizzurp is a combination of prescription cough syrup, fruit flavored soda and a jolly rancher. The main ingredient in getting high? Promethazine or Dextromethorphan also known as DXM.

"Cough syrup, DXM, if you take enough of it its worse than an LSD high," said Officer Tom Jannette. "It will rock your socks off until you just pass out."

Narcotics enforcement officer Tom Jannette, a former musician, speaks at schools across the state about the danger of drugs and trying to raise awareness of the music in every genre that promotes it. Songs with names like "Sippin on Sizzurp"

"You know what every parent should do?" Jannette asks. "Watch MTV for an hour on the weekend. All the music is pro drug. There is no way around it. It's a pro-drug world we live in."

"People are inspired by their favorite artist. If their favorite artist is singing about drugs your just going to go out and do them," said Andrew Pearson.

Sixty Percent of kids experimenting with their first high is from their parents medicine cabinet and kids we spoke to knew all about it.

"In the movies, its all secretive but you don't expect to open up the drawer and find something just as effective," said 13-year-old Marissa Pearson.

"It's not that happy lets have cough syrup on a Friday night." said "It's causing a lot of deaths and kids to do a lot of wacky things."

http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=485...0&nav=menu120_2 (http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4852850&nav=menu120_2)

xeon
05-04-2006, 08:39 AM
It's not just cough syrup but what's called Sizzurp -- also known as purple, lean or kryptonite. And there are dozens of songs promoting it.

Sizzurp is a combination of prescription cough syrup, fruit flavored soda and a jolly rancher. The main ingredient in getting high? Promethazine or Dextromethorphan also known as DXM

First of all, "Sizzurp" is something TOTALLY different than DXM syrup.. Then they go on to say that DXM is lean- and again, thats total bullshit because Promethazine is the main ingrediant in "Sizzurp"- and its prescription, DXM is not.

"It will rock your socks off until you just pass out."

All I can say about that one is LMAO

I really wish people would get their facts strait.. This is not the first nor the last case of DXM being brought in to another drug. Now, I do know that some syrup has promethazine and DXM but that would be pointless and dangerous to get high on the DM stuff, you typically take strait promethazine if your gunna "lean".

leMaybeMacBigMac
05-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Hearing about shit like this is the kind of thing that makes me want to bust my computer with a sledge hammer.

migbee
05-04-2006, 03:22 PM
fuck da p0lice

they dont know shit. shit!

waiting4nirvana
05-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@May 4 2006, 07:16 AM
And to make matters worse, some songs your teenagers are listening to are encouraging them to use this drug.
"People are inspired by their favorite artist. If their favorite artist is singing about drugs your just going to go out and do them," said Andrew Pearson.

Music and drugs are often connected? Whoa! I had no idea!

But, on the other hand, if some guy was telling me to do drugs in a song, I wouldn't necessarily stop everything I was doing and go do drugs.

And also, that bit about how we live in a pro-drug world- if thats true, why are so many drugs illegal even when they could be helpful for medical conditions?

Worst article in a long time! :shake:

Arm
05-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Anybody want to write a letter to the editor for WFSB? B)

trixieann
05-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by MaybeMacMurphy@May 4 2006, 09:19 AM
Hearing about shit like this is the kind of thing that makes me want to bust my computer with a sledge hammer.
Ahaha! Exactly what I was thinking!

Undefined
05-04-2006, 08:14 PM
haha.

"If their favorite artist is singing about drugs your just going to go out and do them"

Clearly.

polio vaccine
05-04-2006, 09:35 PM
I like how the cop defines degrees of "worseness" by how much people seem to enjoy it.

SolitaireZeta
05-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Sizzurp is a combination of prescription cough syrup, fruit flavored soda and a jolly rancher.

Okay... I can somewhat understand the rationale of mixing cough syrup with fruit-flavored soda... but how the hell is a jolly rancer so crucial?

"It will rock your socks off until you just pass out."

ROFLMAO! Great way to discourage kids from being interested in this drug!

mrfr0g
05-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Blame music for children doing drugs, blame video games for children killing people. Our children obviously don't know what to do, so you must tell them. We have an entire generation of people that will do anything you tell them to do.

So why are we wasting our time telling them to do drugs and kill people, we need to tell them all to join the military and then we can have them all die for an idiot.

^_^

camyland
05-04-2006, 11:51 PM
May 3, 2006, 08:42 AM
You probably keep a close watch on your children for any signs of drug use.

But did you know that there is a new danger -- homemade drugs made from everyday items that may be right inside your home. And to make matters worse, some songs your teenagers are listening to are encouraging them to use this drug.

The drug is called Sizzurp and over-the-counter cough medicine is a key ingredient.

What use to be a treatment for the common cold is the latest trend in getting high and a growing problem in Connecticut

Sizzurp is a combination of prescription cough syrup, fruit flavored soda and a jolly rancher. The main ingredient in getting high? Promethazine or Dextromethorphan also known as DXM.

"Cough syrup, DXM, if you take enough of it its worse than an LSD high," said Officer Tom Jannette. "It will rock your socks off until you just pass out."

Narcotics enforcement officer Tom Jannette, a former musician, speaks at schools across the state about the danger of drugs and trying to raise awareness of the music in every genre that promotes it. Songs with names like "Sippin on Sizzurp"

"You know what every parent should do?" Jannette asks. "Watch MTV for an hour on the weekend. All the music is pro drug. There is no way around it. It's a pro-drug world we live in."

Sixty Percent of kids experimenting with their first high is from their parents medicine cabinet and kids we spoke to knew all about it.

"In the movies, its all secretive but you don't expect to open up the drawer and find something just as effective," said 13-year-old Marissa Pearson.

"It's not that happy lets have cough syrup on a Friday night." said "It's causing a lot of deaths and kids to do a lot of wacky things."

http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=485...0&nav=menu120_2 (http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4852850&nav=menu120_2)
HAHA, okay, which one of you made this up?

poonige
05-05-2006, 01:32 AM
Rock your socks off?

How does he know?
HOW DOES HE KNOW!?

Lets face it, a small minority of cops are just plain cool.

SnarkBot
05-05-2006, 12:51 PM
"It's causing a lot of deaths and kids to do a lot of wacky things."

that just sounds like a good time to me..

enslavedyouth
05-05-2006, 02:50 PM
if i saw a rapper talking about sizzurp and drinking robitussin i would laugh at them. codeine+promethazine or hydrocodone syrup is sizzerp/purp/lean and its mad expensive, it's a status symbol as well as a drug, like grills or cars or watnot. personally i think its an idiotic trend because the price for this shit is far too much for the high, do some oxys if you wanna lean godamnit.

and yes, i drink cough syrup and do wacky things.

Hate Shade
05-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Purple drank or lean is codiene and promethazine Rx cough syrup mixed with grape soda, not dxm. Listen to the unedited version of "I got dat drank" by Frayser Boy

GiantRobot
05-07-2006, 12:35 PM
This part made me LOL the hardest. If its a pro drug world then what the fuck is their problem? They need to get with the times and stop swimming against the current.

Kaiserin
05-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by xeon@May 4 2006, 07:39 AM
you typically take strait promethazine if your gunna "lean".
Promethazine is just an antihistamine, lean refers to opiate based cough syrups with promethazine in them. Most common of all 'the purple' which is codeine and promethazine variety. But it also applies to tussinx, bar, and a couple of other things.

And if you mix purple with grape soda you're a nasty bastard, in texas we all mix it with sprite. I would drink it if it didn't get me high it tastes so good.

polio vaccine
05-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Haha,

all the white kids mix with Sprite.

Masskiller
05-07-2006, 11:48 PM
I never even knew what "sizzurp" was, I always thought it was some kind of rapper's new word for alcohol or something. (those silly rappers, always making up new words...)

I hate misinformation.

Kaiserin
05-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by polio vaccine@May 7 2006, 02:17 PM
Haha,

all the white kids mix with Sprite.
Given that texas is where the trend originated.....

jaytown
05-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Narcotics enforcement officer Tom Jannette, a former musician, speaks at schools across the state about the danger of drugs and trying to raise awareness of the music in every genre that promotes it. Songs with names like "Sippin on Sizzurp" :shake:

That's real smart officer, now your telling the rest of the students that don't know about it, and there going to be curious. Also great way to promote the songs like Sizzup. Does the music industry pay you to advertise thier songs?

The best way to keep dxm under wraps is by NOT putting it in the news or going around school to school leting people know that people can get high off of it. Alot of people still think people drink cough syrup because of the alcohol in it.

Bevo
05-10-2006, 12:17 AM
I really think this is the lamest news blurb I've seen here yet.

KathrynCoagula
05-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Yeah of course its a pro drug world and yes people are going to look up to their favorite artists and go out and do that drug....i mean..fuck

LOOK AT COUNTRY MUSIC!!!!

I DONT SEE ANYONE BASHING CMT!!

Ive been in some effed up dex situations but by far the scariest shit I have ever seen has happened when there was alcohol involved.

so.fuck.that.shit

kate
07-24-2006, 11:02 PM
132 deaths, that aint so bad right?

last time i looked the tobacco death rate was something ridiculous, (like, 440,000!). Frankly, i would rather most of my congressmen, or anyone i knew, just go do dxm, instead of smoking 2 packs a day.

Also, its good that they preach about this shit at schools, yea right. They SHOULD teach people how to avoid rape and molestation issues, thats where the true life ruiner is IMO.

If it were up to me, we would have drugs, and since people are GOING TO ALWAYS BE CURIOUS ABOUT THEM, we could offer NUETRAL education. dont do ccc, blah blah blah.

ive always wanted to just rent out like 15-30 seconds on the radio and just read shit off of this site, fomr like the faq and stuff.

lol is IMHO in my high opinion? i think i just figured that out like 30 seconds ago

ohm
07-25-2006, 09:39 PM
lol. crazyness. that is about as weird as this 2002 article about "ROBOFIRE"!

COUGH SYRUP/LIGHTER FLUID FUELING LATEST DRUG CRAZE: "ROBO FIRE"
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, THURSDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2002

COLUMBUS -- Always looking for something new, some teens are now turning to a dangerous combination of cough medicine and cigarette lighter fluid to get high, according to a recent alert issued by the Ohio Early Warning Network (OEWN).

This latest drug trend finds youth throughout the state abusing Robitussin, Coricidin HBP, dextromethorphan (DXM) and other readily available cough suppressants in combination with inhalants to gain a cheap, quick "LSD-like high." Abusers are calling the potentially deadly concoction "Robo Fire."

"The abuse of cold medication is not a new phenomenon, but combining it with inhalants is a dangerous emerging practice that must be addressed," said Luceille Fleming, director of the Ohio Department of Alcohol and Drug Addiction Services (ODADAS). ODADAS partnered with the Ohio Department of Education and Ohio National Guard earlier this year to launch the OEWN initiative in an effort to alert parents, alcohol and other drug addiction prevention and treatment professionals, law enforcement officials and educators to new drug trends.

What makes "Robo Fire" enticing for children is the ease of availability, Fleming said, noting that cough medicines and cigarette lighter fluid are both readily available products in supermarkets, convenience stores and drug stores. "There's nothing illegal about either of those products when purchased and used for their intended purposes. However, when abused together, these seemingly benign items can cause serious harm."

Experts say anyone with basic chemistry knowledge can extract a free-base, crystalline form of DXM from cough syrup by cutting it with solvents found in cigarette lighter fluid and other readily available agents. Once the drug is isolated, users reportedly smoke, snort or ingest it in capsule form. Though abusers seem to prefer the free-base form of DXM, some have experimented with drinking the cough syrup first and then huffing vapors from the lighter fluid to achieve a similar high. However, according to the OEWN alert, "Many abusers dislike taking available liquid preparations due to their relatively low concentrations, unpleasant taste and propensity to cause vomiting."

The mood-altering effects of "Robo Fire" have been described as similar to those produced by crack or LSD. Effects range from vivid, cartoon-like hallucinations to ataxia (inability to coordinate muscular movements), hyper-excitability, slurred speech, sweating, involuntary eye movement, hypertension and numbness. Brain damage, coma and death are also possible. "This is a very dangerous form of abuse. A person (especially someone pre-disposed to certain heart disorders) can die the very first time," explained Dr. Earl Siegel, co-director of the Cincinnati Drug & Poison Information Center. Siegel, who learned of Robo Fire abuse from some of his patients at the University of Cincinnati Children's Hospital, contends that Internet sites "dedicated to pro-drug use" are fueling its proliferation..

lol