View Full Version : Preventing assault

drdªv€
11-19-2004, 08:54 AM
November 18, 2004

College students are often exposed to situations in which they are at risk for being sexually assaulted, said Jennifer Astles, Youth Community Educator at the Advocacy Center.

The U.S. Department of Justice says a woman is raped every 2 minutes somewhere in the United States. In 2003, Ithaca College had five sexual offenses on campus.

“You’re among friends much more than you are in other situations,” Astles said. “There are some increased risk factors in how you are living.”

According to the Advocacy Center, sexual assault is any unwanted sexual contact, including touching, groping or rape.

Astles said many students don’t know that victims of sexual assault often know their assailant.

“With rape and sexual assault, you are much more likely to know the perpetrator than for it to be a stranger,” she said.

If you are a victim of a sexual assault, there are many resources available. The Advocacy Center offers confidential services at anytime of day or night. The counseling center on campus and residential assistants are other student resources. The public can call the Advocacy Center 24 hours a day at 277-5000.
Advocacy Center Tips
The Advocacy Center provides tips to prevent sexual assault and how to stay away from risky situations:
• Be aware of your surroundings. Know the people you are with and the places you are going.
• Be aware of how much you drink in a social setting and the people you are with. “A lot of times people encourage other people to drink a lot and it puts them in a vulnerable state,” Astles says.
• Don’t set your drink down at a party. Astles said to also be aware alcohol is “the number one date rape drug.” Other “date rape drugs”, such as Rohypnol (roofies), are the most commonly used, but over-the-counter medicines such as Robitussin are also used.
• Express what your boundaries and limits are, even if you know the person you are with. “If I’m out with somebody that I know and possibly care about, it’s much easier for them to take advantage of the situation and it’s not something I’m necessarily prepared for,” Astles says.
• Don’t walk alone at night and stay away from poorly-lit places. If you are in a situation where you will be walking alone, carry a whistle and a cell phone.
• Lock your room and car doors. Astles says people generally feel safe in Ithaca, but they should remember basic safety precautions.
• If you feel you are the victim of sexual assault, make noise and try to attract attention to get help. If you know the perpetrator, make sure he or she knows you are uncomfortable and tell the person “no.”

Link: http://www.ithaca.edu/ithacan/articles/041...reventing_a.htm (http://www.ithaca.edu/ithacan/articles/0411/18/news/3preventing_a.htm)

nomadicoder
11-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Holy shit I go to Cornell and its in Ithaca and I've been to Ithaca college a couple times on accident. LOL. Yeah, anyway, some of these tips seem a little obvious, maybe just cause during the first week of classes and stuff they pounded all this stuff into us over and over. *shrugs*

jersey_emt
11-19-2004, 01:34 PM
You mean to tell me people use alcohol to take advantage of others sexually?

B)

Feord
11-19-2004, 03:30 PM
so wait... are they trying to suggest that someone could convince/force another person to drink robitussin? if i even smell robo i get a gag reflex in my throat.

drdªv€
11-19-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Feord@Nov 19 2004, 02:30 PM
so wait... are they trying to suggest that someone could convince/force another person to drink robitussin? if i even smell robo i get a gag reflex in my throat.
LOL B)

Nocturne
11-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Good advice, after all it's so easy to slip an 8oz of Robo in a girl's drink without her noticing...

Thrift Nine
11-22-2004, 07:30 AM
LOL @ Robitussin being a date rape drug. :P