View Full Version : DXM threat to community

drdĒv€
03-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Douglas County coroner Joe Victor has pronounced himself on a mission - to push for regulation of DXM and try to halt its use as a recreational drug.

Dextromethorphan is the active ingredient in many over-the-counter cough medicines - and in its pure form is becoming a drug of choice for young adults.

Victor said DXM acts as a hallucinogen - "worse than anything you saw with LSD in the '60s." When properly used in low dosages, it has proven to be safe and effective for cough suppression, which is why it is not listed as a controlled substance and therefore is unregulated by the government.
However, there is growing concern regarding abuses of DXM.

This is where Victor is hoping to make a change.

"This is dangerous, dangerous stuff we're talking about, yet it's completely unregulated. It can cause liver damage, bleeding, and as we have found out in our community, even death. I just recently received a call from the University of Illinois asking about DXM, because they're starting to see it [used recreationally] on campus," said Victor.

According to DrugAbuse.com, lower doses of DXM cause mild euphoria, stupor, excitability and changes in muscle reflexes. Larger doses (250 to 1500 mg. range) are known to cause hallucinations and a host of negative effects ranging from skin irritation and shortness of breath to coma, brain damage, liver damage, seizures, respiratory distress and death.

Information published by the National Drug Intelligence Center indicates teenagers and young adults are the principal abusers of DXM in the United States. Accessibility and relatively low price are primary factors.

According to NDIC, individuals who ingest high doses of DXM also risk running exceptionally high fevers, particularly if using the drug in a hot environment or while physically exerting themselves - such as at a rave party or dance club.

Street terms for DXM include Dex, DM, Drex, Robo,Rojo, Skittles, Triple C, and Velvet.

Victor said he has been in contact with political representatives, including Rep. Chapin Rose, about enacting legislation to control the accessibility of DXM.

"You see what a problem meth has become in our communities, and we were able to legislate access to over-the-counter cold medicines containing ephedrine, which is used in making meth.

"This is no different, and every bit as dangerous. We have to be able to put some 'bite' into our efforts. Four young people have already died in Illinois because of this stuff. How many more will it have to take before something is done?" he said.

Story Here: http://www.tuscolanews.net/news/newsview.asp?c=101697

yrm0m
03-30-2004, 04:53 PM
"You see what a problem meth has become in our communities, and we were able to legislate access to over-the-counter cold medicines containing ephedrine, which is used in making meth.

yea....and to what effect?
it makes me laugh that this was said as if it solved the problem of meth abuse

KILLBILL
03-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Mar 30 2004, 03:17 PM
"This is dangerous, dangerous stuff we're talking about, yet it's completely unregulated. It can cause liver damage, bleeding, and as we have found out in our community, even death. . . ."
I'd like to find the source of this claim.

yrm0m
03-31-2004, 01:57 PM
i need to get out of this state
hehe

anyway, i found this guy's contact information and i could easily get ahold of him in email or probably on the phone

but, i dunno what to ask? any ideas?

yrm0m
03-31-2004, 02:15 PM
OAKLAND – The Douglas County coroner has released the name of a teen-age boy from rural Hindsboro who was found dead in a state park early Thursday.
Coroner Joe Victor said Eric Richardson, 17, of rural Hindsboro, was found dead in a remote area of Walnut Point State Park by friends around 2 a.m. Thursday.
His friend, Austin Eriksen,18, of Oakland, was with him.

http://www.news-gazette.com/story.cfm?Number=15402

i didn't realize this story was connected to the attempted double suicide

weird

KILLBILL
03-31-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by yrm0m@Mar 31 2004, 01:57 PM
but, i dunno what to ask? any ideas?
I emailed him asking him if his statement about 'it can harm your liver' was referring to pure DXM HBr or to other products containing DXM HBr. I then said that if he was referring to pure DXM HBr I would like him to point me in the right direction to find more information about hepatotoxicity due to dextromethorphan. I hinted that I'd been researching dextromethorphan and had never come across any evidence of hepatotoxicity from DXM only.

(in other words, I politely asked him to please cite his source for that claim).

The mailer daemon bounced the e-mail back to me however.