View Full Version : News>> Dxm-related Stabbing Trial Starts

PeoplesMind
07-20-2003, 07:46 PM
The trial of an Elgin man accused of stabbing two people in 2000 will begin Sept. 22.

Edward Edwardsen Jr., 20, is charged with attempted murder and animal cruelty.

The trial is expected to last two weeks because at least four psychiatrists are expected to testify.

Police said Edwardsen approached a couple on Sept. 1, 2000, at the Tyler Creek Forest Preserve and stabbed a Carpentersville man in the head several times.

Three days later, police say he struck a woman in an Elgin park with an ax.

Both victims survived.

Police were questioning him about the mutilation of two cats during an Elgin burglary Sept. 9, 2000, when he made incriminating statements about the two attacks.

Circuit Judge Donald Hudson ruled in July 2002 that Edwardsen's statements were voluntary, and he was not in custody when he spoke to police Sept. 13, 2000, at Jacobs High School.

Edwardsen takes psychotropic medication and has been diagnosed as a schizophrenic who suffers from hallucinations and delusions, defense attorney David Camic said.

The defendant spent 10 months at the Elgin Mental Health Center after Hudson ruled in March 2001 that he was not fit to stand trial.

Camic has said Edwardsen was temporarily insane when he committed the acts and involuntarily intoxicated on DXM, an active ingredient in cough syrup, when he made statements to police.

READ ARTICLE : http://www.nwherald.com/spider/...498522952.shtml (http://www.nwherald.com/spider/NWH/news/283771498522952.shtml)

Tasuke
07-21-2003, 12:31 PM
What a loser. That man deserves to be taken out and shot IMHO. If we started letting drunk drivers off because they were intoxicated where would we be than? I don't care whether your tripping, drunk, stoned or whatever, you are responsible for your own actions period.

PeoplesMind
07-21-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Tasuke@Jul 21 2003, 04:31 PM
What a loser. That man deserves to be taken out and shot IMHO. If we started letting drunk drivers off because they were intoxicated where would we be than? I don't care whether your tripping, drunk, stoned or whatever, you are responsible for your own actions period.
I agree, he was not "involuntarily intoxicated on DXM", simply because he did it voulantarily, which is why he should be responsible for his actions.

peace,
Nitin

void
07-22-2003, 01:57 AM
Dumbasses like that give people like us a bad name.

Psycho
07-22-2003, 05:58 AM
Yeah, that goes without saying. Even though it's already been said. :sly:

kingtexAs
07-24-2003, 12:21 PM
I would kind of like some more information that I couldn't find in the article before I accuse him of being a total idiot.
Such as:
How long has he been taking the prescribed DXM.
How advanced is is schizophrenia?

For all we know the guy just started taking it, and as we all know, certain drugs have different effects on people.
I'm not trying to justify his actions. It is my strong belief that assault is assault, no matter the circumstances. But, I can support his lawyer's argument.

PeoplesMind
07-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by kingtexAs@Jul 24 2003, 04:21 PM
How long has he been taking the prescribed DXM.
How advanced is is schizophrenia?
Dunno about the second but as to the first, he wasnt perscribed DXM. He was taking some OTHER medication perscribedf for his schizophrenia, but was also on DXM, meaning he had ingested dxm in some other way (aka bottle or robo or something)

im thinking the drug mix cuased a lot of it, still its stupid to take meds that could interact with other medication.

peace,
Nitin

kingtexAs
07-24-2003, 12:59 PM
It says that he was involuntarily fucked up on DXM, though. So maybe, He didn't realize that it would affect him that way. *shrugs

PeoplesMind
07-24-2003, 01:01 PM
who knows man, but no matter what drugs your own i dont see any way to avoid taking resposinsibilty for your actions. Its the same thing that NA and AA try and make you do, forget that YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for your actions.

I personally dont care what drugs he was on, he should take responsibilty for his actions, and that was stabbing two people.

Just my take on it,

peace,
Nitin

kingtexAs
07-24-2003, 01:07 PM
Alright, you got me there.

drdĒv€
07-25-2003, 06:51 AM
As a wise man once said "Stupid is as Stupid does"
LOL, some folks are just ordinarily "disturbed".