View Full Version : Proposed CA Law could make CCC Prescription Only

PeoplesMind
02-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Benitez suggested that the state pass a law requiring a prescription for anyone under age 18 for a cough medicine ingredient after seeing a 14-year-old have a seizure from overdosing on Coricidin, a common over-the-counter cold medicine. He then heard of other problems, including a 14-year-old having a mild attack, again due to an overdose.

"It's not just a passing fad," Benitez said. "It's in every community."

READ : http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2004/20...02.laws02.shtml (http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2004/2004_02_02.laws02.shtml)

levomethorphan
02-07-2004, 11:30 PM
I'm getting sick of saying this but...
MAKE ASPIRIN PRESCRIPTION ONLY!! IT KILLS THOUSANDS OF TIMES MORE PEOPLE THAN CCC EVER WILL!!

Thank You.

DJ_Euphoria
02-07-2004, 11:45 PM
I hate C3s not because everyone dis likes them just because the way they make you feel its a sad ass excuse for a dxm trip accompanied by paranoia and your eyes feeling like they are going to fall out of your head :flame:

5-MeO-ECO
02-08-2004, 02:34 AM
Palo Alto Police Detective Wayne Benitez is one of the three winners of this year's "There Oughta Be a Law"

Morons.

Badesumofu
02-08-2004, 03:17 AM
ugh, don't make asprin prescription only, I love that stuff.

Just educate people on the correct way of using it.

Why should those of us who use these drugs safley have to pay for the idiocy and ignorance of others?

SpiKeD
02-08-2004, 03:36 AM
thats the stupidiest think i ever heard.....why not just put them behind the counter and card people to buy them.....needin a prescription is dumb

BONERSTORM
02-08-2004, 08:34 AM
correct me if i'm wrong, but doesnt it require federal, FDA action in order to change a drug from OTC availability to prescription only?

-rudine-

WarBird69
02-08-2004, 11:35 AM
This proposed law will not end up being passed. The most that will happen is they could require CCC to be put behind the counter.

Marowana
02-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Yea, this is ridiculous. There is no way in hell the FDA would consider doing anything nearly as drastic. I don't think this person realizes how big of a deal this would be.

PeoplesMind
02-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Some things to note from DXM trying to be restricted in different states....

North Dakota once attempted to pass legislation for DXM as well. It was rejected. (http://www.dextroverse.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=15&t=822)

Texas has tried passing a law to restrict the sale of DXM; it is still "In-Committee" and has not been taken action on in a long time. Quite an intresting bill. (http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/db2www/tlo/billhist/billhist.d2w/report?LEG=78&SESS=R&CHAMBER=H&BILLTYPE=B&BILLSUFFIX=00340)

Under Utah state law, §23-13-17©, [amended] concerning dextromethorphan you must be 18 years old of age to purchase or possess dextromethorphan. It is also illegal as a misdemeanor to use dextromethorphan for recreational use under Utah state law IC-196-E945.4. A level one misdemeanor is punishable by up to 90 days in prison and/or a $1,000 fine.

peace,
Nitin

levomethorphan
02-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Badesumofu@Feb 8 2004, 03:17 AM
ugh, don't make asprin prescription only, I love that stuff.

Just educate people on the correct way of using it.

Why should those of us who use these drugs safley have to pay for the idiocy and ignorance of others?
I was being sarcastic to make a point. Of course I don't support making aspirin prescription-only.

correct me if i'm wrong, but doesnt it require federal, FDA action in order to change a drug from OTC availability to prescription only?
A state can make sale of drugs within that state prescription-only without any action from the FDA.

_Swey_
02-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Another thing gone wrong due to ccc's. :flame:

nightripper
02-09-2004, 06:21 PM
I don't understand the point of making DXM prescription only for people under 18. It seems like it would make more sense to stop selling it to minors altogether. Anyone under 18 using DXM for legitimate purposes would just have their parents buy it, rather than waiting at the doctors office for an hour to get a prescription. I'm over 18 and this law would never pass so I don't give a damn anyway.

Midknight
02-09-2004, 06:21 PM
maybe they are looking at this in the wrong way, Why not take out the extra antihistamine in CCC's to make them safer, or make another line of CCC's with out it in it. On the plust view, a lot more people would buy them just to trip, and it would probably save some lives.

levomethorphan
02-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Why not take out the extra antihistamine in CCC's to make them safer, or make another line of CCC's with out it in it. On the plust view, a lot more people would buy them just to trip, and it would probably save some lives.

Such antihistamine-free pills already exist. They are called Dexalones and Robitussin Cough Gels. Taking out the antihistamine in CCC's would defeat its medical purpose.

Mrstupid7
02-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by levomethorphan@Feb 9 2004, 07:48 PM
Such antihistamine-free pills already exist. They are called Dexalones and Robitussin Cough Gels. Taking out the antihistamine in CCC's would defeat its medical purpose.
In a lot of places it is very hard to find those pills.

In my old hometown, we had to down cough syrups because no one sold Dexalone or Robitussin Cough Gels.

It fucking sucks, but I'm glad almost every place in Boone (where I'm going to college) sells Cough Gels.

friedrichanton
02-09-2004, 11:05 PM
I know this cop who does drug education in schools. I ran into him today and asked if he had heard about this "cough syrup abuse thing." He usually tells me about how bad Xanax abuse is right now in the schools. What stupid school kids are getting excited over Xanax? Anyway, he said, "oh yeah, triple-C!" So I tried to tell him that it is too bad the kids are talking about CCC when the local grocery store carries robogels and dexalone. I tried to sound like I just kind of heard about all of these things in the news. I told him that at least the other preparations were safer if kids were going to abuse it anyway. He just said, "don't let the kids know about that stuff!"

I got the impression that the reason people talk about CCC so much is the cool, druggy sound of the name. "Triple-C" sounds so much cooler than Robitussin Liquigel or maximum strength cough syrup.

It's just like the 2mg Xanax bar. People want it for the shape as much as anything. 100 2mg bars are worth much more on the street than 200 1mg round tablets I think. It doesn't make sense to the slightly educated drug user.

Devorius
02-10-2004, 01:37 AM
He probably WANTS them to OD on CCC, so that he can preach of "DXM's evils."

Jogey
02-10-2004, 10:06 AM
For the love of all that is good in this world, WHAT THE FUCK!?

If it passes in CA then everybody else is screwed: Domino Effect

I can't believe I might have to pretend to be sick to buy Robitussin....well then again, I do have the internet and a house for which to mail to.

human_err0r
02-11-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Devorius@Feb 10 2004, 01:37 AM
He probably WANTS them to OD on CCC, so that he can preach of "DXM's evils."
Bingo!

Let "the kids" know about a safer alternative? goodness no! Drugs should be as dangerous as possible!
If the death of a few people will keep abuse down well then its well worth it!

PeoplesMind
02-11-2004, 05:30 PM
the "Domino Effect" is the most fuckin' retarded thing I've ever heard of in my life. Utah passed sanctions against DXM back in the day, nothing happened after that. If CA does the same, i dont think there'll be any 'domino effect' (you sound like Eisenhower)

peace,
Nitin

House
02-25-2004, 06:50 PM
LoL, yeah, I don't want to sound like a stereotypical asshole of anything, but Utah is a predominantly Mormon state. To me, in all seriousness, if any sort of law against possession of DXM-containing products by minors were to be passed, it would be there.

I don't see how there will be any real laws made nation-wide. The FDA is not going to over-regulate a product that honestly helps people afflicted with cough and cold symptoms. I know that at least here in Las Vegas, I won't be seeing it too soon. Like someone said before, the most anyone will do is put it behind the counter. And that is all on the individual store selling it. Not even the individual chain of stores, but the actual store itself. It's up to the managers. California isn't going to be passing this in the near future, I don't think.

DXM is the most effective product science has yielded for cough and cold since codeine. It's the safest (when taken in the appropriate dose), and it is reliable, and DXM products are generally very affordable.