View Full Version : DXM In People Magazine

PeoplesMind
01-24-2004, 12:14 AM
People Weekly, Feb 2, 2004 v61 i4 p48
Over The Counter Killer: It's cheap, it's legal, and it's available at any drugstore. DXM, a cough medicine ingredient, is the latest craze for teens who want to get high--or die trying. Up Front Thomas Fields-Meyer; Melinda Janiszewski.
Full Text: COPYRIGHT 2004 Time, Inc.

Byline: Thomas Fields-Meyer; Melinda Janiszewski Barbara Sandler in Normal, Kristin Harmel in Altamonte Springs, Vickie Bane in Denver, Andrea Billups in Washington, D.C., and Michael Haederle in Austin

Greg and Linda Frary never worried about their son Jon. An outgoing honors student at Illinois State University in Normal, he was less than three months away from earning his degree in psychology when his girlfriend called his family Sept. 24, concerned because she hadn't been able to reach him for a day. Speeding 30 miles from his home in Peoria, Greg entered his son's apartment with the help of a maintenance worker and walked into every parent's nightmare: Jon, 22, lay dead on the floor of the bedroom, a bottle of white powder a few feet away. "I was going to have to bury my child," says Greg, 51. "It was so out of the natural order of life."

The Frarys soon learned the cause of their son's death: Jon had overdosed on dextromethorphan (DXM), an over-the-counter cough suppressant. Although his family never knew him to use drugs, the day after Jon's body was found, a friend revealed that the pair had been buying DXM legally on the Internet for months and experimenting with it for its hallucinogenic properties. The two young men had even exchanged audiotapes describing their visions. "In Jon's mind, because it was legal, it had to be safe," says Greg. "He made a mistake."

It's a potentially lethal error that scores of young people have been increasingly making. Although Frary had ingested a pure form of DXM, users typically induce a zombie-like state called "dexing" or "robotripping" by ingesting drugstore medications such as Robitussin cough syrup or Coricidin cold tablets, known among users as red devils, triple-C's or skittles (the red pills, resembling candy, bear three C's). A number of Web sites even list the dosages, based on body weight, that a user needs to take to attain a high similar to that caused by PCP. Taking DXM in large quantities causes slurred speech, high blood pressure, loss of motor control or far worse (see box, page 51). "It can lead to seizures, coma and even death," say Charles Nozicka, director of pediatric emergency medicine at St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates, Ill., who sees as many as 30 DXM overdoses a year. Taken in large amounts, adds Nozicka, the drug can change the body's metabolism and possibly become addictive.

In 2003, U.S. poison-control centers received 3,271 calls--twice the number as three years earlier--related to teen use of DXM in pockets seemingly spread randomly around the country. In the past two years at least five deaths have been attributed to cough medications. Concerned parents in some communities have convinced pharmacies to take the popular products off the shelves and put them behind the counter, but in most places there's no such deterrent. "I don't think parents are acutely aware [of the risk]," says Andrea Barthwell of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy. "They tear families apart, they crush dreams."

Case in point: Jennifer Darling, a quiet girl who liked in-line skating and bicycling and had ascended the ranks of her Altamonte Springs, Fla., high school ROTC unit to become squad leader. "We didn't see a lot of signals saying here was someone getting off track," says Darvin Boothe, principal of Lake Brantley High School, where Jennifer was a senior. Though her father, Jim, 49, had overheard Jennifer, 18, talking to friends about getting high on cough medication, he and his wife Jill, 39, weren't overly concerned. Since the cough medications were sold over-the-counter, the Darlings assumed that they were harmless. "We thought, 'No big deal, so she's taking cough medicine,'" he says. "'She won't be coughing, that's for sure.'"

But on the morning of Dec. 16, 2002, Jill awoke to find Jennifer dead on her bathroom floor. When police found red pills in her bedroom, Jim called one of his daughter's friends, who admitted Jennifer had recently taken Coricidin to get a DXM high. "It was surreal," says Jill. "It absolutely didn't make any sense." According to the autopsy, Jennifer had an undetected heart condition that was exacerbated by high levels of chlorpheniramine, a key ingredient in the medication. By ingesting enough of the drug to get high, Jennifer had inadvertently triggered a lethal heart failure. (Cough medicine overdoses can also cause fatal liver damage.) "We never had any clue that this stuff could be deadly," says her father.

Nor, perhaps, did Cory Coleman, 14, a high school freshman in the affluent Denver suburb of Highlands Ranch, Colo., who took Coricidin while partying with other teens last April. Police say that after telling pals that the drug was "starting to kick in," Coleman attempted to cross a four-lane highway to buy more pills at a nearby supermarket. He died after being struck by two cars. A toxicology report revealed high levels of DXM. "He told his friends the drug made him feel numb and altered his visual perception," says Colorado State Patrol Sgt. Donald Enloe, who adds that the drug appeals to many kids because they can hide its use more easily than LSD and Ecstasy, which dilate the pupils. "Most other drugs have an effect we can see," says Enloe. "They can take [DXM] and parents will never know."

Jon Frary's parents never caught on to what their son was doing secretly in the last months of his life, though he'd spent the entire summer at home, working for a landscaper. A natural athlete who loved tennis, he'd spent two years at the Air Force Academy before opting out of the military. He hoped to move to Los Angeles to pursue a movie career. "He was a fun, outgoing kid," says his mother, Linda. "Everyone liked being around him." His girlfriend Liz Kocol, 22, says he'd told her about experimenting with cough syrup in December 2002 and "something else you could buy on the Internet" last April. After she pleaded with him to stop using, he'd dumped out a bottle in front of her, pledging not to try it again.

But he did. According to a police report, officers who discovered Jon's body believed he "plugged his ears and covered his eyes for sensory deprivation, to increase the effect of DXM." They also found a notebook detailing his previous robotripping experiences. "Usually you have the opportunity to learn from your mistakes," says Jeremy Foster, 23, a longtime friend. "Jon didn't get that opportunity."

Despite the dangers posed by DXM, there are few obstacles for teens intent on abusing it, since the medications that contain it are perfectly legal. Pure DXM--not classified as a narcotic--is uncontrolled by the government, and, of course, products such as Coricidin are useful medications used responsibly by millions. Mary-Fran Faraji, a spokeswoman for Coricidin's manufacturer, Schering-Plough, says the company has put the product in larger packages to make it more difficult to steal off the shelves, but she adds that DXM is available in 125 different products. "The problem is not just the substance, but the behavior," she says, "behavior that parents ought to be monitoring." Jennifer Darling's father agrees. "By telling our story, I just hope we can stop other parents, other siblings, other friends, from having to go through the grief we had to go through," he says, "because of something as stupid as getting high."

By Thomas Fields-Meyer. Barbara Sandler in Normal, Kristin Harmel in Altamonte Springs, Vickie Bane in Denver, Andrea Billups in Washington, D.C., and Michael Haederle in Austin

[BOX:]

'ROBOTRIPPING': ONE TEEN'S STORY

Melinda Janiszewski, 18, was a withdrawn Stockton, N.J., high school sophomore when she first tried DXM two years ago. She soon became a regular user. After dropping out of school, she moved to Michigan this past November to live with Justin Cochrane, 22, another user she met on a DXM-related Web site. Although Janiszewski now says she and Cochrane quit using the drug in December, she admits it still retains a powerful psychological hold on both of them.

I'd never tried drugs before DXM. The first time I tried it with a friend, nothing much happened, but the second time, we got really messed up. Before I did DXM, I was extremely shy, not very outgoing at all. I had social anxiety problems. They kind of disappeared. I've tripped 200 or 250 times. I like to describe the experience as reaching different plateaus, depending on how much you take. You start out feeling wobbly. Then it becomes more intense, with visual distortions. You start feeling numb. And finally, you're gone. You're out of your body. You're not there anymore.

At first, DXM brought me and my boyfriend together. But then he started doing heavier doses. We both started having panic attacks. Once I got completely paranoid and afraid, and I thought I was dying. I kept yelling at everyone to get me water. They weren't fast enough, so I started eating snow. I was panicking and twitching. It was so intense and unreal, you can't even explain it. I overdid it, but there were things about it I loved. I got rid of it all because I wanted it gone. I needed it gone. Never again will I touch it, and I am free from its grasp.

[BOX:]

DXM ABUSE: THE WARNING SIGNS

Part of what makes DXM popular, according to users, is that the drug leaves few obvious warning signs for parents to notice. Here are the symptoms to watch for:

--Clumsy walking and lack of coordination --Slurred speech --Nausea and vomiting --Heavy sweating --Rigid muscles and involuntary movement --Numbness of fingers or toes --Tremor --Low body temperature --Impaired judgment; confusion

[QUOTE:]

"In Jon's mind, because it was legal, it had to be safe," says Greg Frary of his son's DXM use. "He made a mistake"

- http://people.aol.com/people/magazine/tabl...,10713,,00.html (http://people.aol.com/people/magazine/tableofcontents/0,10713,,00.html)

Magnus_Grey
01-24-2004, 03:32 AM
It should be illegal to publish this as fact.

-Bryan

WarBird69
01-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Jesus. Its not going to be long before the DEA comes after websites like this, accusing us of "promoting DXM useage". They are too blind to see we only promote safe useage (like no Cordicidin, make sure your not enzyme deficient, don't take too much, ect.) It really pisses me off. :flame:

And by "we" I mean the responsable DXM community, btw.

cindowsxp
01-24-2004, 11:02 AM
"In Jon's mind, because it was legal, it had to be safe," says Greg. "He made a mistake."

Oh really? He told that to him I assume, I mean, I bet Jon thought exactly that.

Væ§ølis
01-24-2004, 11:09 AM
I issued a statement to these folks to explain to them the fatal risks of CPM. they didn't seem too happy to hear these facts and replied saying that they would simply "pass that information along".

people magazine has purposefully and knowingly left out vital information regarding chlorpheniramine maleate risks in order to demonize DXM!!

I wouldn't be surprised if someone started bringing lawsuits against some of these newstainment companies real soon.

rfgdxm
01-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by PeoplesMind@Jan 24 2004, 12:14 AM
The Frarys soon learned the cause of their son's death: Jon had overdosed on dextromethorphan (DXM), an over-the-counter cough suppressant. Although his family never knew him to use drugs, the day after Jon's body was found, a friend revealed that the pair had been buying DXM legally on the Internet for months and experimenting with it for its hallucinogenic properties. The two young men had even exchanged audiotapes describing their visions. "In Jon's mind, because it was legal, it had to be safe," says Greg. "He made a mistake."
Either the above is a lie, or this is truly Darwinism in action. If he could find DXM on the Internet to buy it, then he could have trivially found my sites, and all the other DXM websites. On my websites I list a number of DXM deaths, including from pure DXM powder. The only way he could think DXM was safe, and he had Internet access, would be if he intentionally decided not to check out safety issues as mentioned on DXM websites. Possible, but I'd say much more likely he saw the warnings, and just decided to ignore them, or just knowingly ran the risk. I can imagine someone like a teenager who heard about DXM from their friends thinking it was safe because it was legal. However, this guy is described as "outgoing honors student at Illinois State University in Normal, he was less than three months away from earning his degree in psychology". A college honors student who can't figure out how to use Google? Hell, if he was getting a degree in psychology, he could have researched DXM at the med school library and found out the dangers.

rfgdxm
01-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by PeoplesMind@Jan 24 2004, 12:14 AM
"He told his friends the drug made him feel numb and altered his visual perception," says Colorado State Patrol Sgt. Donald Enloe, who adds that the drug appeals to many kids because they can hide its use more easily than LSD and Ecstasy, which dilate the pupils. "Most other drugs have an effect we can see," says Enloe. "They can take [DXM] and parents will never know."
UTTER BULLSHIT. Dilated pupils are normal on recreational doses of DXM. And it would be much easier for a kid to hide from parents being on Ecstasy than a good second plateau dose or higher of DXM.

Christopher
01-24-2004, 08:05 PM
I never get dialated pupils from DXM.

KILLBILL
01-25-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by The Dark Phoenix@Jan 24 2004, 08:05 PM
I never get dialated pupils from DXM.
Many people do. It is a commonly reported side effect.

ZenRaver
01-25-2004, 12:10 AM
rfgdxm: You're on to something. My initial reaction to the article was "This guy killed himself." He ordered some DXM powder over the internet and intentionally ingested a lethal overdose, fully understanding the mortal consequences of choosing to do so.

As for pupils... I haven't really paid much attention for a while, but I remember I used to get bizarre effects during a 3P... like one eye being heavily dilated, but the other only slightly so. Oddly enough, the only times I've ever looked in my eyes in the mirror while dexing was during my early experiences, my first couple 3Ps...

rfgdxm
01-25-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Lysergide@Jan 25 2004, 12:10 AM
rfgdxm: You're on to something. My initial reaction to the article was "This guy killed himself." He ordered some DXM powder over the internet and intentionally ingested a lethal overdose, fully understanding the mortal consequences of choosing to do so.
According to his friend he was a tripper, so odds seem to favor he took it just to get high. However, I don't buy it for a moment that he thought it was safe because it is legal. He is described as being highly intelligent, and had Internet access. My sites are trivially easy to find with basically any popular search engine. Google shows this on the SERPs for the home page of dextromethorphan.ws:

"Description: Contains a beginner's guide, and lists dangers and known deaths from the recreational use of the drug."

That's from the site's ODP listing. Just from that, he'd know DXM had dangers, and also had caused deaths. There is no reasonable way he could have thought DXM was perfectly safe. Almost surely he knew of the dangers, and decided to run the risks.

pr0zac
01-25-2004, 12:44 AM
Maybe I'm in a bad mood, maybe I'm getting waaaaay too cynical and sardonic when it comes to life, but comon guys. We know every media article out there written about DXM has missed something, made some mistake, or gotten something incorrect. You guys are attacking these articles without the risk of someone coming back at you, and are really getting pretty slack in your arguments. So instead of doing the bad mouthing thing like everyone else I've decided to start playing devils advocate and defending these articles. This way you guys are going to have to put some thought behind your attacks, think about it for a while, and not just say the usual three sentences everytime. So here goes.

First off, this article does in fact mention the dangers of CPM:
Jennifer had an undetected heart condition that was exacerbated by high levels of chlorpheniramine, a key ingredient in the medication. By ingesting enough of the drug to get high, Jennifer had inadvertently triggered a lethal heart failure.
They even specify the medication it is in (ie Coricidin).

Also, this article gets a lot of their facts correct. Their list of symptoms of a DXM high are correct (albeit they leave out the positives), they compare its effects to a similar substance (ie PCP), and really get none of their facts incorrect.

Also, we all know there have been DXM overdoses. Taking large doses of DXM CAN kill you in large enough amounts. Yes, people who do take DXM in this amount are either stupid, of suicidal, but that does not mean we should pretend its not possible to OD.

Also, you may have noticed that the article DID in fact mention that two of the DXM related deaths they bring up were not in fact directly caused by DXM. They make it very clear that the two deaths were caused by a CPM related heart failure, and being struck by a car while under the influence. I think they deserve credit for being honest about this.

Overall, I'd say this is one of the best written articles about DXM so far. Despite their negative tone, they get their facts right and present a good case for their side.

-zac

rfgdxm
01-25-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by pr0zac@Jan 25 2004, 12:44 AM
Good point. This report is better than most. Only real problem I have is that they mention this guy who ordered DXM on the Internet as thinking because it was legal, he thought it was safe. I actually was contacted by a reporter at People, and this reporter clearly had seen my site. No doubt the reporter added that in there because that is what his father claimed. However, it seems to me highly unlikely that a college honors student with Internet access would be buying DXM on the Internet, yet never once check out the DXM websites.

idunnopoetry
01-26-2004, 01:43 AM
My eyes get dilated randomly. Sometimes they are the size of pennies, and other times the size of pinpoints.

*shrugs*

It probably has a lot more to do with your mood than the drug.

Væ§ølis
01-26-2004, 01:48 AM

you're right, I missed that.

SkimmerX
01-26-2004, 03:53 AM
People magazine decided to do an article on people who have died from using dxm. This wont be like concerned parents or officials researching dxm, this will be all kinds of different people now aware of dxm use and probably placing it in their mind with heroin and drunk drivers. :eh:

On a more positive note :I think the worst (of the media attention) is over now.

C20H25N3O
01-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by SkimmerX@Jan 26 2004, 03:53 AM
People magazine decided to do an article on people who have died from using dxm. This wont be like concerned parents or officials researching dxm, this will be all kinds of different people now aware of dxm use and probably placing it in their mind with heroin and drunk drivers. :eh:

On a more positive note :I think the worst (of the media attention) is over now.
whatever happened to that dateline thing.

Southwick
01-29-2004, 05:24 PM
my pupils get so fucking big, my friends know as soon as they look at me that I've done dex. It's different for everybody.

libel
01-29-2004, 05:44 PM
omfg. a sob story to make tussin look like the child killer of america.
arent there alcohol and anti depressant ads in people magazine?