View Full Version : NSP Warns of Cold Medicine Abuse

drdªv€
04-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Article Posted: 04/27/2007 8:37:12 AM
The Nebraska State Patrol Troop B Headquarters, Norfolk is urging parents and school officials to be aware of the possible abuse by young people of an over the counter cold medicine.

Sold legally over the counter, “Coricidin HPB Cough and Cold” is used by individuals with high blood pressure to relieve cold symptoms. The small red tablets contain 30 milligrams of dextromethorphan (cough medicine). When taken in numbers greater than directed on package labels, dextromethorphan can lead to hallucinations, loss of motor control and “out-of-body” sensations.

“We have received inquiries from school officials about the use of this medicine,” said Troop B Investigative Services Lieutenant Randy Morehead. “Upon further investigation, we’ve found several area pharmacies have already taken steps to move the medicine behind their counters as a precaution. Because this is a legal ingredient in cold medicine, we want to raise awareness among parents and others that this is something young people might be using.”

Abuse of dextromethorphan can cause, increased body temperature, nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, headache, numbing of fingers and toes, loss of consciousness, slurred speech, blurred vision, paranoia, excessive sweating, redness of face, dry and itchy skin, hypothermia, high fever, seizure, brain damage and possible death.

The small red pills are also known by several street names such as, Triple C, DXM, Candy, Skittles, Red Devils, DM, Drex, Robo, Rojo, Velvet, and Vitamin D. The act of abusing dextromethorphan is often called “dexing,” “robotripping,” or “robodosing”.

“We encourage parents to talk to their children about the dangers of ingesting such medicines and take steps to stop this potential abuse.” Lt. Morehead said.

If you suspect someone is abusing this or other similar products you are asked to contact your local law enforcement agency or the Nebraska State Patrol.

http://www.swnebr.net/newspaper/cgi-bin/ar...hiver.pl?160475 (http://www.swnebr.net/newspaper/cgi-bin/articles/articlearchiver.pl?160475)

BOY_MEATER
04-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Vitamin D? HELL YEA DAWG.

stompy
04-28-2007, 08:11 PM
This is just fucking stupid.

It's only 'cause pot's hard to find in Nebraska.

Not that I'd know, but it's pretty goddamn hard to find here.

Lil Yoshi Powder
04-30-2007, 12:02 AM
Vitamin D was always my favorite nickname for dxm. :chug:

Katatonic
05-01-2007, 09:34 PM
It's only 'cause pot's hard to find in Nebraska.

Not that I'd know, but it's pretty goddamn hard to find here.

Yes, you don't know. :nono:

I was more agast at the whole may cause death part. Other than that I thought the article did a fine job at raising awareness. I'm sure now every one of my fellow Nebraskans in Norfolk will be trying DXM.