View Full Version : Cough syrup poses dangers

drdĒv€
04-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Last Update: Apr 10, 2007 9:40 PM

(EAST TULSA, Okla.) April 10 - An effort is underway tonight to keep a potentially dangerous product out of your kids' hands.

With more and more teens abusing cough medicines, a proposed law would block sales of the medicine to anyone under 18.

In Muskogee, a group in favor of the bill conducted a sting called Operation Store Front.

Right now you can walk into any pharmacy or store and buy cough medicine.

But some worry about people who are taking very large quantities because a certain ingredient, called DXM, can be pretty dangerous.

That's why today, the group set out to show just how easy it is for kids to get their hands on some.

The first teen, Blake, goes into the store trying to buy more than 10 bottles of cough medicine. But, he comes out empty handed.

But the next teen, Jackson, comes out of one store with 14 bottles and another store with 20 bottles.

The group says it's not planning any more cough syrup stings, but it's going to be doing tobacco stings and alcohol compliance checks.

As for the proposed law making it so kids have to be 18 to purchase cough medicine, right now it's in the state senate.

Here are some signs of possible cough medicine abuse.

Noticing cough and cold medicines disappear from your house.
Finding your child is buying or saving cold medicines.
Your child takes cold and cough medicines often.
Talking about Dex, red devils, tussin, or vitamin D, all street names for DXM

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story.aspx...35-ad8e703b32b2 (http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=4f660de1-43bc-4949-9a35-ad8e703b32b2)

Jim Lahey
04-11-2007, 12:39 PM
I wish I could buy 14 dxm products at once. Most stores in my area have the 3 product rule. LOL at cough syrup stings! :)

nastyvicks
04-11-2007, 09:23 PM
LOL! Does anyone actually try to buy that much cough syrup at once?? I feel awkward buying two or three.

Walkaway
04-11-2007, 09:30 PM
I've bought (and helped steal) that much cough syrup before. Ironically enough, it was when I used to live in Oklahoma. :P

Robo Parties, man. Gotta love 'em.

Of course, unless you're with a real "hardcore" crowd, powder tends to get people in party mode a whole lot better than the 'Tussin.