View Full Version : Finding a high in the medicine cabinet

drdĒv€
04-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Over-the-counter cough suppressant is new threat to kids
Monday, April 2, 2007 1:37 AM EDT

When he was 9 years old, Dina Iverson's son inadvertently purchased Energy Blast tablets, an herbal stimulant, from the candy aisle of a convenience store. She has been on a crusade to keep risky, over-the-counter drugs out of the hands of kids ever since.

Iverson is a pharmacy technician and EMT living in Warrensburg, where last week a student was arrested for distributing eight tablets of the drug Coricidin to a classmate for the purpose of getting high.

Coricidin, or "CCC" as it is known on the street, is a cold medicine containing the cough suppressant dextromethorphan hydrobromide (DXM), which, when abused, raises dopamine levels in the brain to provide a euphoric rush. Often the drug is crushed and snorted as a faster means to a high.

According to Patty Kilgore, clinical director of The Prevention Council in Saratoga County, the potency of drugs containing DXM is designed to be broken down slowly by the digestive system. When it is snorted, it goes directly to the bloodstream and can lead to septum deviation, hallucinations, cardiac arrest and possibly death when overused.

Kilgore also said prolonged use of DXM can lead to addiction.

"It's a cheap high," said Kilgore, "but I tell my kids that if a high that good could come from something sold over-the-counter, we wouldn't have an illegal drug problem in this country. You have to question anything that is that easily available and ask what it is you're risking."

But Dina Iverson is convinced that the problem has tragic potential.

"After a while, these kids are going to be crushing more than what they should be crushing, and there's going to be a fatality, without a doubt," she said.

In cooperation with the Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005, all medicines containing pseudoephedrine, phenylpropanolamine or ephedrine must be held behind the counter and signed for by the purchaser, with no more than 9 grams sold during a single transaction. Drugs containing DXM do not qualify.

Though she declined to provide the name of the pharmacy where she is employed, Iverson did say the pharmacy has pulled Coricidin from the shelves and made it solely available from behind the counter.

But Iverson's pharmacy is not the only local store taking action. When a reporter attempted to purchase a box of Coricidin at the Eckerd Pharmacy at 128 Ridge St. in Glens Falls, the drug was only available from behind the counter.

A representative from the Brooks Eckerd Pharmacy Corp. explained that there is no corporate policy that requires stores to hold the drug at the counter, but due to an increase in theft, local stores have decided to do so.

Warren County Sheriff Larry Cleveland, whose office was responsible for the Warrensburg arrest, said he is starting to notice a trend in the abuse of cold medications.

"It's only recently that we've picked up on it ... but you're talking about three or four cases this year, as opposed to three or four cases in the last five years," he said. "My money says that within a couple of years, you'll see all those drugs put under control and require supervision to be sold."

Cleveland also said that the schools have become "very vigilant" in combating the abuse of drugs with DXM.

"Some (incidents involving student drug use) go unreported and get deferred to the nurse's office or the principal, but when it does get to us, it's pretty much a done deal," he said.

Timothy Lawson, the superintendent of Warrensburg Central School District, is making the effort to educate his staff. During a superintendent's conference on Friday, Warren County Sheriff's Investigator Kibby French lectured teachers on current drug trends.

Dina Iverson is taking measures of her own.

"I've gone around to the other local pharmacies and alerted them to this problem," she said.

Years ago, after her young son purchased the Energy Blast tablets, Iverson launched a similar campaign to get them out of the reach of minors. She wrote the company and contacted the media.

"To this day, it says right on the package, 'Do not sell to persons under 18,' " she said.

Iverson is hoping for a similar result with DXM products.

"These are our kids. I would hope someone would keep an eye on my kid," she said.

http://www.poststar.com/articles/2007/04/0...2b100086460.txt (http://www.poststar.com/articles/2007/04/02/news/local/92e272e209b5491e852572b100086460.txt)

Kang
04-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I would laugh so hard if I saw some kids from school snorting the triple C's.

Psychotic Break
04-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Is this a joke?!

Oh shit her 9 year old kid bought some energy pills, he could abuse them! They're just caffeine tablets probably. <_<

I swear these people are blind to everything around them, I'm surprised they've made it so far in life.

ashesofman
04-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Absorbed directly into the blood stream? What?

drdĒv€
04-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Apr 2 2007, 06:33 AM
Coricidin, or "CCC" as it is known on the street, is a cold medicine containing the cough suppressant dextromethorphan hydrobromide (DXM), which, when abused, raises dopamine levels in the brain to provide a euphoric rush. Often the drug is crushed and snorted as a faster means to a high.According to Patty Kilgore, clinical director of The Prevention Council in Saratoga County, the potency of drugs containing DXM is designed to be broken down slowly by the digestive system. When it is snorted, it goes directly to the bloodstream and can lead to septum deviation, hallucinations, cardiac arrest and possibly death when overused.

I truly wonder what field of study these "experts" are expert in,
it is definitely not drug use/abuse. B)

xVertigox
04-02-2007, 05:41 PM
What we need is a concise, articulate and most of all accurate e-mail we can send to websites like these to point out the obvious flaws in their articles.

Edit: Oh my fucking god.

"It's a cheap high," said Kilgore, "but I tell my kids that if a high that good could come from something sold over-the-counter, we wouldn't have an illegal drug problem in this country. You have to question anything that is that easily available and ask what it is you're risking."

"After a while, these kids are going to be crushing more than what they should be crushing, and there's going to be a fatality, without a doubt," she said.

I fucking hate people so much.

drdĒv€
04-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by xVertigox@Apr 2 2007, 04:41 PM
What we need is a concise, articulate and most of all accurate e-mail we can send to websites like these to point out the obvious flaws in their articles.
I used to vent my frustrations at the half-assed "yellow journalistic fear monger's" misinformation by doing just that.
It is very similar to :brickwall:
Now I have resigned myself to reading their BS and sharing the idiocy here. B)

Happy2bCandyPLUR
04-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€+Apr 2 2007, 04:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (drdĒv€ @ Apr 2 2007, 04:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--drdĒv€@Apr 2 2007, 06:33 AM
Coricidin, or "CCC" as it is known on the street, is a cold medicine containing the cough suppressant dextromethorphan hydrobromide (DXM), which, when abused, raises dopamine levels in the brain to provide a euphoric rush. Often the drug is crushed and snorted as a faster means to a high.According to Patty Kilgore, clinical director of The Prevention Council in Saratoga County, the potency of drugs containing DXM is designed to be broken down slowly by the digestive system. When it is snorted, it goes directly to the bloodstream and can lead to septum deviation, hallucinations, cardiac arrest and possibly death when overused.

I truly wonder what field of study these "experts" are expert in,
it is definitely not drug use/abuse. B)[/b][/quote]
Seriously!

Deadhead420
04-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Who the hell snorts CCC's... to snort enough to trip that would be a shit ton of powder :nitin:

Nepenthe
04-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Favorite parts:

...raises dopamine levels in the brain to provide a euphoric rush...

"I tell my kids that if a high that good could come from something sold over-the-counter, we wouldn't have an illegal drug problem in this country."

"These are our kids. I would hope someone would keep an eye on my kid," she said.

JoeHorne
04-03-2007, 12:39 AM
reminds me of when i was in the air force bravely defending our country.... sitting in my dorm room on a solid 3rd plat trip with a friend doing the same and we each snorted a 250mg rail of DXM powder up one nostril... even though dissociated..... cried like bitches and my nose was fucked for a week lolol. besides... what the hell are wrong with parents not teaching their kids about this shit and/or locking shit away

bullshit on them ^^^ teach/watch your kids

live long and smoke pot

Joe

koala infestation... robots
04-03-2007, 10:14 AM

As if more expensive highs are safer? Why do these folks keep throwing that one out there like it is an insult. Do they want their children doing the harder to find, less pure, and more expensive drugs? It seems like the least constructive argument ever.

I suppose in the naive capitalist mind-set... it might be convincing in so far as people believe that you get what you pay for. Not so much when you include the phrase 'severe hallucinations' in the article.

If i read 'cheap high' in the same sentence as 'severe hallucinations' prior to what i now know about dxm (and the dangers of c's) it would be all the convincing id need to run down to my local pharmacy.

edit: ...also that part about sniffing crushed up coriciden. Wow. It's almost like they want to punish the kids who read this and think it is a good idea. Then you go out and you sniff dxm and have a shitty experience/ no high and tell your unexperienced friends about it, they may be less likely to do so also. Pretty shitty tactic, spreading disinformation like that.