View Full Version : Cough syrup warning for parents

drdĒv€
03-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Cough syrup warning for parents
Updated: 3/19/2007 2:38 PM

That alert? Be aware of children drinking cough medications like Robitussin and Coricidin for an ecstasy-like high. Dr. Christine Stork is the Clinical Director of the Upstate N.Y. Poison Control Center. She says it's becoming more and more of a problem.

"We want to make sure that parents to know that these products are not necessarily safe to take in large quantities, to be aware that if they find bottles of these substances lying around the house to be suspicious that it may not just be the persons cough, that they may be using it in an inappropriate manner," Stork said.

As the Poison Control Center marks its 50th anniversary of handling calls across the region it also brings with it a warning for parents;
Anything containing DM, or dextromethorphan, is what parents need to be aware of. It is this ingredient that children and young adults look for when buying over the counter syrups. It acts as a mental status depressant, and can be quite dangerous.

http://news10now.com/content/all_news/?ArI...=98916&SecID=83 (http://news10now.com/content/all_news/?ArID=98916&SecID=83)

Choker
03-23-2007, 03:47 AM
Wouldn't want me on call at a Poison Control Center..

"zomg help I oded on robo max"
me: *laughs uncontrollably for a minute* "have fun kid"

Psychotic Break
03-23-2007, 04:11 AM
^Haha

DXM is definately an Ecstasy-like high except for the sluggishness and loss of feeling and ego :shake:

Kang
03-24-2007, 10:04 PM
How come all the news sites say everything gives an ecstasy like high?

Walkaway
03-24-2007, 10:15 PM
DXM is definately an Ecstasy-like high except for the sluggishness and loss of feeling and ego
I find low doses of DXM to be stimulating and disinhibiting in ways that are similar to MD-xx compounds.

Psychotic Break
03-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Space Monkey@Mar 24 2007, 09:15 PM
DXM is definately an Ecstasy-like high except for the sluggishness and loss of feeling and ego
I find low doses of DXM to be stimulating and disinhibiting in ways that are similar to MD-xx compounds.
Meh, yeah that's true, I was thinking more of the higher-dosage areas. B)