View Full Version : Senate bill 951

drdĒv€
02-27-2007, 01:32 AM
As a parent and as someone who helps create public policy, I know that we must always remain vigilant in our efforts to protect children from things that can rob them of their potential and cut their lives short. One of the ways we can do that is by teaching them about the dangers of substance abuse.

It's important that parents talk to their children about how dangerous alcohol is to developing minds and bodies and how illegal drugs like methamphetamine or marijuana can ruin their lives. But many parents may not be aware of the dangers of ordinary products that children can easily purchase for themselves. These are simple household items that more and more kids are to get "high" and as a result, winding up in emergency rooms.

Parents can certainly monitor such products at home, or at least attempt to do so. But if their children are buying them without their knowledge, it's another situation entirely. That's why a Senate committee has approved a bill to ban the sale of cough medicine containing dextromethorphan as well as spray paint to anyone under the age of 18.

This bill was recommended by the Task Force on Adolescent Substance Abuse and Misuse of household items. The task force found that one of the ingredients in cough medicine, dextromehorphan, can act as a powerful hallucinogen. The Oklahoma Poison control Center says that DXM abuse is increasing in our state. In 2006, 14.7 percent of all reported intentional substance abuse cases were DXM, up from 11.6 percent just one year earlier.

Another growing problem is"huffing." Kids will inhale fumes from spray paint to get high. What they may not realize is that it can result in permanent brain damage, and it can be fatal. In 2003 9.9 percent of teens in the 9th through 12th grades reported they'd used inhalants. Just two years later, it was up to 12 percent.

Parents are still one of the most important components in helping keeping children safe from substance abuse, but it is also important for lawmakers to do everything possible to keep potentially dangerous products out of the hands of children. That's what Senate bill 951 would do.

http://www.ccdem.com/2007/02/senate_review_b_1.html

Amide
02-27-2007, 07:15 PM
is that just for his state/county etc or for everywhere whole us?

Terraculon4000
02-28-2007, 01:45 PM
I think US.
:(

brollie
03-06-2007, 10:59 PM
So now they'll create a black market for it.
Older people will buy it, and sell it to minors at a markup. Now that it becomes more expensive, kids will be more likely to steal DXM.

What a brilliant idea!

Omega_Switch
03-07-2007, 01:13 AM
although i dont condone the use of DXM if, say, you're 13 or 14, but making it unaccessible for them isn't going to help the problem. they'll definately be doing a lot more shop-lifting, which will be dangerous for the legality of DXM as a whole. and as brollie said, they'll probably just have a black market for it too. prohibition- at basically any level- has never worked... when will they learn???

the answer
03-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by brollie@Mar 6 2007, 10:59 PM
So now they'll create a black market for it.
Older people will buy it, and sell it to minors at a markup. Now that it becomes more expensive, kids will be more likely to steal DXM.

What a brilliant idea!
Eh, i doubt there will be much of a black market. Probably the only people who would buy dxm for kids would be people the kids know, there wouldnt be much of a markup if any. When you were/if you still are under 21 do you pay much of a markup, if any, for alcohol? I sure dont. Also, i assume if it does become 18+ it would be behind the counter, like pretty much everything that is restricted to adults. Although i dont think drugs should be legal, certainly kids should not be allowed to use them and i think this bill will have more "positve" results.