View Full Version : Kids find high on cold drug

drdªv€
02-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Taken properly, the drug can help relieve the stuffy heads and wheezing chests of winter.

What the box doesn't say is that children across the country - and in Reno County - have found a way to abuse the drug.

It doesn't list brain damage, seizure and coma as possible side effects.

And it doesn't tell you that last week in Reno County, a 13-year-old nearly died from taking large doses of the medication in a practice called "Skittling" - because the tablets look like candy - or "Robotripping."

"The active ingredient is related to the opiates and it's a narcotic," Reno County Sheriff Deputy Jerry Maxfield said. "It produces mild euphoria, and in some cases dizziness, loss of coordination and hallucinations."

According to law enforcement officials, skittling works something like this: Kids pick up packs of the medicine - which aren't commonly placed behind a counter - for less than $6 a box at a local pharmacy or retail store. Then, they ingest handfuls of the candy-colored cold tablets and wait for the high to kick in.

The primary abusers of the cold tablets are under the age of 13, Maxfield said, though some begin as early as 5th or 6th grade. The drug is legal to possess, easy to conceal and users don't exhibit many outward signs.

Maxfield said the real danger is the drug's cumulative effect on a child's central nervous system.

Children build a false sense of safety if they've gotten high several times from Coricidin without suffering any ill effects, Maxfield said. Taking the drug during the following days, in larger doses, greatly raises the risk of injury.

"They don't have the judgment, especially at that age, to understand the dangers," Maxfield said. "And some of these kids are taking huge amounts."

Hutchinson Wal-Mart manager Josh Anderson said he hasn't noticed a spike in the theft or sale of the drug. He did, however, catch a juvenile shoplifter trying to escape from the store with four boxes of Coricidin during the past two weeks.

"I'll probably pay more attention to it now," Anderson said. "We can flag it, watch for inconsistencies and check it on a daily basis."

Removing the product from store shelves is a tough decision, Anderson said, because of the inconvenience it places on other customers - particularly those overnight shoppers already restricted from buying the popular ephedrine- and psuedoephedrine-based medications.

"People get upset when we do that, and we take a lot of heat," Anderson said. "First, we try to limit our shelf supply to just a couple of boxes, because we just can't put everything behind the counter."

Although the medication isn't stored behind a counter, Anderson said most pharmacy products prompt the cashier to ask for identification proving the buyer is over 18 years old.

So far, Hutchinson Middle School Resource Officer Tyson Meyers isn't too worried about the reported spike in cold tablet misuse. So far this school year, he hasn't heard of an increase in drug abuse at HMS-7 or HMS-8.

In fact, Meyers said he hasn't worked a single incident involving the cold tablets this year - though he said discussion of the drug's use surfaced several years ago.

"I've heard about other cases in other areas," Meyers said. "There are certain groups that will do one thing for a while, just like a fad, and then move on to something else."

Word of a drug's potential for misuse often spreads around the middle school hallway, Meyers said, generating buzz and interest in the euphoric feeling.

The district plans to alert teachers, principals and school nurses of the potential drug abuse, USD 308 Public Information Officer Ray Hemmen said.

To help combat the spread of any type of drug abuse, Meyers said he tries to maintain positive contacts with the students - through sports and outside events - and tries to establish a trusting relationship with the kids.

"I think I've got a good relationship with the kids," Meyers said. "If the kids here were misusing cold medicine, I think at least one of them would tell me."

Look in garbage to see if your kid is using

Reno County Sheriff Deputy Jerry Maxfield said it’s hard to see the signs of cold tablet abuse, but the evidence often is left in the garbage.

Empty foil packs or discarded packages of brand name medications containing the active ingredient dextromethorphan are indications of the drug’s possible misuse.

Some possible side effects include drowsiness, loss of coordination, dizziness and poor judgment. Any sudden and unexplained change in behavior, such as a drop in grades, could be an indication of drug use, School Resource Officer Tyson Meyers said.

Any student who suspects a classmate of abusing drugs can confidentially talk with any School Resource Officer.

“If they tell me, I’m not going to tell anyone that they told me,” Meyers said.

According to the Web site www.theantidrug.com, parents should pay attention to the amount of medicine in their cabinets and monitor any changes. The site also recommends parents talk with their children about the importance of following medication directions.

Any cold or cough medicine with the designation DM contains dextromethorphan.

http://www.hutchnews.com/news/regional/sto...rug022107.shtml (http://www.hutchnews.com/news/regional/stories/Colddrug022107.shtml)

janks
02-21-2007, 06:49 PM
i wish i could backhand a few ccc users. i hate so much that that damn product is giving dxm a horrible reputation... but i guess it wouldn't have a good rep regardless.

Kaiserin
02-21-2007, 11:25 PM
LOL @ the reno county sheriff's department