View Full Version : New DXM Legislation Introduced

drdĒv€
02-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Monday, February 19, 2007 10:07 AM EST

WASHINGTON - U.S. Reps. Fred Upton, R-Mich., and Rick Larsen, D-Wash., have re-introduced bipartisan legislation to crack down on the bulk sale of dextromethorphan (DXM), an ingredient of cough syrup that kids are abusing to get high.

The Dextromethorphan Distribution Act of 2007 (H.R. 970) makes it illegal to distribute unfinished DXM to a person or company not registered with the FDA and will help prevent the abuse of this drug, which has resulted in deaths across the country. This bipartisan legislation passed the House in 2006.

"As a parent of two teenagers, I am alarmed by the number of teens abusing cough syrup and pure DXM to get a high," said Upton. "Kids are under the false impression that getting high off of DXM is harmless because it is an ingredient in cough syrup. Nothing can be further from the truth. Our kids are playing a game of Russian roulette each time they get high off of DXM. Sooner or later, someone dies - enough is enough.

"As it stands, DXM is only a click of a mouse away from arriving on our kids' doorsteps. This common sense piece of legislation will put an end to the bulk sale of DXM over the Internet, and keep our kids safe from the dangers of this type of drug abuse."

DXM is a non-narcotic cough suppressant used in many over-the-counter cough and cold medicines. While medicines containing DXM are used safely by millions of Americans each year, taken in extremely large quantities DXM produces a hallucinogenic high and can cause brain damage, seizures and death.

Studies have shown that teenagers are obtaining unfinished DXM to get high by consuming large amounts of the powder or mixing it with alcohol.

Recent research indicates that abuse of DXM has increased sharply in recent years.

According to the Partnership for a Drug-Free America, one in 11 teenagers have used cough medicines to get high.

"The only people who should be buying unfinished DXM are those who manufacture cough and cold medications," said Larsen. "This common sense bill will protect our children from a new breed of drug dealer selling dangerous substances over the Internet."

In April 2005, two teenagers from Larsen's Washington district overdosed on DXM they had purchased online.

Investigation of their deaths showed the teenagers ordered the drug over the Internet from two men in Indiana who were selling pure DXM after obtaining it from sources in India. Three other children from Florida and Virginia also died from overdosing on DXM they purchased from the same two men.

There are a number of disreputable Web sites that provide "how-to" guides to get high off of DXM.

These sites include information recommending how much DXM to use and suggest other drugs to combine with DXM.

http://www.nilesstar.com/articles/2007/02/...ews/ndnews4.txt (http://www.nilesstar.com/articles/2007/02/19/news/ndnews4.txt)

Happy2bCandyPLUR
02-19-2007, 02:46 PM
I already thought it was impossible to get DXM off the net...if not I guess it will be now.

Walkaway
02-19-2007, 03:24 PM
The Dextromethorphan Distribution Act of 2007 (H.R. 970) makes it illegal to distribute unfinished DXM to a person or company not registered with the FDA and will help prevent the abuse of this drug, which has resulted in deaths across the country.
I would be extremely surprised if the bulk of 'recreational' DXM use and abuse came through use of powder rather than OTC cough remedies.

Our kids are playing a game of Russian roulette each time they get high off of DXM.
A number of scientific studies show 'recreational' use of DXM to be much safer than playing Russian Roulette.

There are a number of disreputable Web sites that provide "how-to" guides to get high off of DXM.
:chug:

n__u
02-19-2007, 03:50 PM
As it stands, DXM is only a click of a mouse away from arriving on our kids' doorsteps.

The fear this imagery is capable of conjuring into the heads of insecure mothers could have easily been accentuated if DXM were DMX. Thus, fear-mongering... disabled.

jaytown
02-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Dextromethorphan Distribution Act of 2007
If this passes, I can see nice potental blackmarket options :) Only the goverment creats new products to sell. The prices of pure dxm will have a nice markup. The people that will sell pure dxm will be very limited thanks to the "Dextromethorphan Distribution Act of 2007". And the price markup will remain high thanks to government enforment of the law. :)

Swim know someone that knows someone, that can legally order it to a business in Illinois and ordering dxm powder is illegal expect for a few execptions :) yyeeaahhh

To bad, the government doesn't know much about business marketing. At least I see the potential here :pr0zac:

As it stands, DXM is only a click of a mouse away from arriving on our kids' doorsteps.
I'm calling bullshit here!!!

That is all