View Full Version : Robo-Tripping

Walkaway
02-11-2007, 05:11 PM
ROBO-TRIPPING

Every trend in recreational drug use generates its own lexicon, and the latest craze among US teens is no exception.* Youngsters are turning to over-the-counter cough medicines for a cheap and accessible high.* The practice is known to aficionados as robo-tripping or skittling.

The main active ingredient in many cough remedies is dextromethorphan, or DXM, which is metabolized to dextrorphan (DX) by the liver.* At therapeutic doses of around 30 milligrams every 4 to 6 hours, DXM is a safe cough suppressant.* But recreational users consume between 150 and 2000 milligrams at a time.* DXM and DX block NMDA receptors in the brain, and in huge doses alter the transmission of information across synapses.

Robo-trippers experience distortions of colour perception and dream-like effects.* Higher doses can cause out-of-body experiences, placing DXM in a class of drugs known as dissociative hallucinogens.* Other examples include ketamine and PCP, which act on the same receptors.

The slang names for the practice derive from the two most commonly abused products: Robitussin cough syrup and Coricidin HBP Cough and Cold tablets, which resemble the popular candies Skittles.* Also known as triple-Cs, they have become the robo-trippers' pill of choice.

In the 2006 Monitoring the Future study, a survey of teenage drug use conducted by the Institute for Social research at the University of Michigan, 7 per cent of 17 and 18-year-olds reported getting high on over-the-counter cough medicines containing DXM in the previous year.* This is the first time the study has looked at DXM abuse, but a recent survey of the incidence of DXM toxicity led by Ilene Anderson of the California Poison Control System suggests that recreational use among US adolescents rose tenfold between 1999 and 2004 (Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol 160, p 1217).

How worried should parents be?* Anderson's study, which documents 1382 incidents, suggests that a minority of robo-trippers suffer side-effects such as seizures or breathing difficulty.* Thankfully, no deaths were recorded.* Anderson warns against complacency, though, not least because it is possible to inadvertently overdose on other drugs present in cough and cold remedies.* In particular, some contain the painkiller acetaminophen (paracetamol), which can cause severe liver damage in high doses.

The surge in DXM abuse has been drively largely by the internet: several websites give guides on the doses necessary to achieve various levels of DXM experience.* In response, manufacturers in the US have produced messages for TV, radio, and the web highlighting the dangers.

Some pharmacists are also keeping the most commonly abused products behind their counters and selling them only to adults.* But Anderson fears that teenagers who cannot get triple-Cs will turn to Coricidin HBP Maximum Strength Flu, which contains less DXM but higher levels of liver-damaging acetaminophen.

(New Scientist, 3 February 2007, p. 48)

janks
02-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Space Monkey@Feb 11 2007, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE Also known as triple-Cs, they have become the robo-trippers' pill of choice. [/quote]
thats sad to see.

camyland
02-11-2007, 09:18 PM
OH NOES! A WHOLE 7 PERCENT OF CHILDREN!
how horrible.

:crazy: :nono: :cry: :eh: :shake: :sleepy: :brickwall:

Allen J
02-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by camyland@Feb 11 2007, 09:18 PM
OH NOES! A WHOLE 7 PERCENT OF CHILDREN!
how horrible.

:crazy: :nono: :cry: :eh: :shake: :sleepy: :brickwall:
That's pretty substantial compared to even a few years ago.

Migbee
02-12-2007, 03:32 AM
well, at least they didnt blame a bunch of deaths on DXM. its about time these motherfuckers got their facts straight.

Fuct UP KID
02-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah I'm not too worried as long as the FDA doesn't intervene at all we will be fine.

Unnamed
02-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Migbee@Feb 12 2007, 04:32 AM
well, at least they didnt blame a bunch of deaths on DXM. its about time these motherfuckers got their facts straight.
Yea this is the most accurate(and surpringly objective) report on DXM I've ever seen in my life... shocking...

(New Scientist, 3 February 2007, p. 48)

Ahhhh, that's why.

Neoluigi
02-12-2007, 12:50 PM
It's interesting to see they made a connection to DXM use and the internet >_>

paraDoXisM
02-12-2007, 03:09 PM
yeah, this is one of the rare articles that almost advocates dxm use. at least the facts are pretty straight.

Thomas Jefferson Monk
02-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Hmm...so...

According to the US Census Bureau, as of 1 July 2005 there are 21,038,939 teens, age 15 to 19 within the US. It's now 2007, so we'll say 22,000,000 for good measure. The stats don't go into yearly breakdown, so divide 22 mil. by 5 and you get 4,400,000. That would mean that if 7% of kids that age had "tried" it, 308,000 (roughly) of 17-18 year olds would have done it.

That seems like a lot to me.

To tell you the truth I didn't think DXM was so popular?!?!

T.

viscosity
02-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Miles Davis@Feb 12 2007, 06:13 PM
That seems like a lot to me.
That sounds like a lot to me as well. Perhaps the University of Michigan got that estimate based on a particular area of high use.

However, If that figure were correct it would definitely say something about the relative safety of DXM.

Unnamed
02-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by sacrificesociety@Feb 12 2007, 09:56 PM
However, If that figure were correct it would definitely say something about the relative safety of DXM.
Especially if CCCs are the most popular(like most reports assume).

Thomas Jefferson Monk
02-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Yeah, either the study is flawed or DXM is more popular (and safer) than I had ever realized.

T.

Walkaway
02-12-2007, 10:20 PM
My own experiences and observations lead me to think that the University of Michigan study is probably relatively accurate. Note also that there were two studies referenced in the article.

Allen J
02-12-2007, 11:00 PM
I'll tell you why I think the numbers are accurate. In the past 12 months, the PDFA began a TV ad campaign against DXM. Perhaps you've seen it? It's the one with teens driving around in the suburbs and each house has "Open 24/7" or "Pharmacy" in neon letters, and the narrator goes on to say that teens are now getting high off of medicines found in the home. I have no doubt this is primarily targeting DXM. There's also a lot of word of mouth going around.

In the 60's the exact same thing happened with glue/gas sniffing. At first, there were 10-20 reported cases a year. No one was hurt or killed. Newspapers began a huge fearmongering campaign that relentlessly covered this "deadly new craze hitting the nation". There were all kinds of bogus reports about deaths and serious injury. To everyone's dismay, all this did was get the word out, though, and before long everyone was actually trying it. It actually became a legitimate nationwide craze.