View Full Version : Parents need to know about deadly children's games

drdĒv€
02-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Parents need to know about 4 deadly children's games, trends

TRIBUNE-REVIEW NEWS SERVICE
Monday, February 5, 2007

"Stop talking about it," one woman says, cringing, when hearing of the death of a 14-year-old who experimented with the Choking Game.
The woman's response is typical -- nobody wants to hear of such a loss, or discuss the details -- but that attitude leads to ignorance among parents about many deadly games children are playing, experts say.

Parents' fears used to focus on their child's possible experimentation with alcohol, marijuana or sex. Now a multitude of other dangerous activities can be added to the list. The only way to combat the frightening statistics about risky behaviors is to have open communication, constant observation and knowledge of the warning signs, experts say.

"The rich are doing it; the poor are doing it; ethnicity doesn't matter," Pam Williams, service facilitator of the Family Services of Western PA, says. "All kids are doing it. Why? Because they are risky right now."

Parents and teachers learned about four trends -- some that seem almost unimaginable -- of risky behaviors to which today's youth are being exposed. The Choking Game, Robo-tripping, SLOMming and huffing are risks that can cause injuries or even death.

And while these risky behaviors occur nationwide and even internationally, they are not so distant from the Alle-Kiski Valley or even your home.

"This is happening in our area," Williams says. In the past year, the choking game has been suspected in at least two deaths in Allegheny County -- a 14-year-old student at Highlands Middle School, Harrison, and a 13-year-old Mt. Lebanon boy.

Two major problems arise when bringing the issues to the forefront: Most of these deaths are ruled as suicides because the children are dying alone; and many teachers and administrators don't want to discuss them for fear of giving students of too many details.

"This is valuable information," Allegheny Valley School District Superintendent Gabriel Ziccarelli said last week at Springdale Junior-Senior High School during a parent-information meeting about risky behaviors. "It is critical to connect with your children. Let me reiterate: Open the lines of communication. Know the key things: Who are their friends? What are they doing?"

Here are four trends that parents should be aware of so they can talk over the risks with their children.

Choking Game

The Choking Game is not new. Some parents might recall experimenting with this kind of high when they were younger. Also known by a variety of other names -- including the Pass-Out Game, Space Monkey, and Natural High -- the object of this activity is asphyxiation, or applying pressure to restrict oxygen and blood flow to the brain. This action creates a tingly sensation, and a second high is achieved when the pressure is released.

"This is not a game," Williams says. "There is no age limit. A lot of kids are doing it out of curiosity. They think it's OK, because their friends survived or because they are able to get high without doing drugs."

Parents should take notice of certain warning signs, such as suspicious marks on the neck, sudden aggressiveness, excruciating headaches, bloodshot eyes and suspicious items lying around, such as ties, rope or belts.

"No one knows how long they are staying high," Williams says of the behavior, which seems to be more popular among young boys.

Last year, 83 deaths or injuries were attributed to it, according to Deadly Games Kids Play.com. In most cases, the child was alone when he or she attempted the choking game and died before rescue.

Robo-tripping

Robo-tripping, also known as Dexing and Skittling, is the abuse of over-the-counter cough medicine. The alcohol that used to be in the medicine has been replaced with a cough suppressant called dextamethorphan, or DXM.

DXM, which is found in more than 210 nonprescription medicines, can produce hallucinations and loss of motor control, symptoms similar to those experienced when using the street drug PCP. A normal dose of DXM is 15 milligrams to 30 milligrams, but mind-altering effects can occur by consuming as little as 100 milligrams. Abusers, however, consume about half of a 12-ounce bottle -- a dose of about 240 milligrams to 360 milligrams.

"Sometimes, your kid really might have the flu," Williams says. "You have to be observant: Is a new bottle of cough medicine empty, but your child doesn't have a cough?"

Signs of cough-medicine abuse include flu-like symptoms, so other investigative work might be necessary to determine whether it really is abuse. Symptoms include sweating, high body temperature, nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, red face, delusions and hives.

SLOM

SLOM, which gives no high effect, despite some children's beliefs, stands for Sticking Leeches on Myself. Adolescents think that the sucking action of leeches can give them a high.

While it's probably the most uncommon of these trends, it still occurs. Above The Influence.com has aired television advertisements showing students with leeches on the backs of their legs and ears. Some female students reportedly believe SLOM will help them lose weight.

Lynn Cratty, a Lower Burrell mother of two sons, 24 and 25, learns what she can about these topics to spread the message at the Community Health Clinic where she works.

"It's scary," Cratty says. "My 12-year-old nephew (a student at H.D. Berkey Elementary school in the New Kensington-Arnold School District) told me about the leeching. I want to listen and spread the message about these dangerous games."

Huffing

Huffing is another activity that has been around for at least the past decade. Huffing is intentionally inhaling gas or vapors to get high. Inhalants used often are legal, everyday products, such as adhesives, hair spray, air fresheners, nail-polish remover, dessert-topping spray, keyboard cleaner, whippets and nitrous oxide.

The symptoms of huffing include nausea, loss of appetite, paint or stains on clothing, sores around the mouth and anxiety. The most obvious and undisputable symptoms are a dazed appearance and a strong chemical odor on the child's breath.

"The odor is unmistakable; they open their mouth, and you just smell gasoline," Linda Fryer, of Family Services of Western PA, says. "Once you smell it, it's undeniable."

"You think you're past the age where you have to lock cabinets," Williams says, warning that students also are doing this in school. "I'm not saying don't trust your kids, but think and be observant of smells."

Williams warns to use caution if you find your child under the influence or coming down from a huffing high. Get the abuser out of the room in which they were using or outside for ventilation, and don't excite or argue with him or her, because huffing can cause an irregular heartbeat. If the child is unconscious or not breathing, begin CPR immediately.

Offering a solution

What Williams and others suggest is redirecting the student's dangerous risk-taking into a more positive direction. And, above all, be honest.

"We all did stupid things or made bad decisions," Williams says. "Tell them about your mistakes so they know not to make them, too. Tell them about the risks you take, and teach them how to evaluate risks."

Gail Podmilsak, a mother of three in the Allegheny Valley School District, says she will talk with her kids, especially the 12-year-old, about the trends. "They think I'm just learning about it -- they already told me they know about it, but, thankfully, they say they haven't tried it."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...d/s_491553.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/mostread/s_491553.html)

ferk
02-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Oh my god they actually think slomming is real?

Amide
02-05-2007, 04:29 PM
"Suspicious Items,(...) such as belts"

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm...

i stopped reading there.

Cool Cherry
02-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by ferk@Feb 5 2007, 12:22 PM
That is so funny. I just lost all my respect for local media outlets. They are too stupid to see that "slomming" was made up by an anti-drug organization to mock real drug use. I'm surprised they didn't note slomming's addictive characteristics and how popular it can spread around schools. Haha. Even if slomming was real they fail to note any dangerous effects of it, hell "slomming" has been used for thousands of years for medicinal purposes.

Funniest thing I've read in a while.

Unnamed
02-05-2007, 08:37 PM
The alcohol that used to be in the medicine has been replaced with a cough suppressant called dextamethorphan, or DXM.

:nitin:

I now remember why I stopped reading these reports. :)

Psychotic Break
02-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Bwahahahaha... :pr0zac:

:shake: When will they learn?

smokey
02-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Feb 5 2007, 11:34 AM
[b]
A normal dose of DXM is 15 milligrams to 30 milligrams, but mind-altering effects can occur by consuming as little as 100 milligrams. Abusers, however, consume about half of a 12-ounce bottle -- a dose of about 240 milligrams to 360 milligrams. [/URL]
240 to 360mg, lol
but seriously this was the funniest report iv read in at least month

Cool Cherry
02-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Where the hell do you get a 12oz bottle anyways? Damn, that would be over a gram in a single can.

Bhikku
02-05-2007, 10:48 PM
getting high offa leeches. where do these fucking reporters come from. :shake:

Cool Cherry
02-05-2007, 11:07 PM
I just sent the editor a letter about how stupid they are.

Let's see if he replies!

Allen J
02-05-2007, 11:33 PM
:dexed:SLOMMING CAN CAUSE INJURY OR EVEN DEATH

Bhikku
02-05-2007, 11:41 PM
heh... just utterly ridiculous.

viscosity
02-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Libre+Feb 5 2007, 05:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Libre @ Feb 5 2007, 05:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ferk@Feb 5 2007, 12:22 PM
That is so funny. I just lost all my respect for local media outlets. They are too stupid to see that "slomming" was made up by an anti-drug organization to mock real drug use. I'm surprised they didn't note slomming's addictive characteristics and how popular it can spread around schools. Haha. Even if slomming was real they fail to note any dangerous effects of it, hell "slomming" has been used for thousands of years for medicinal purposes.

Funniest thing I've read in a while. [/b][/quote]
Hahahaha :P
Kids actually trying sloming?

I guess the anti-drug ads really did back-fire - they just make kids more likely to try the thing they're trying to advocate against. Ah, the irony.

Maybe if we just stop talking about drugs the kids will stop doing them :parinoid:

SwAg
02-06-2007, 11:50 AM
WTF is all i can think to say

Monoliath
02-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Psychotic Break@Feb 5 2007, 08:46 PM
Bwahahahaha... :pr0zac:

:shake: When will they learn?
Yeah, I can't help but think the same thing.

It's fun to watch the hand of the obsessively controlling and fear infested lose grip of the youth.

Life serves the risk taker, of course, you need to learn how to manage your risks wisely, to ensure you live long enough to enjoy more risks :P

This was a funny read though, it's like watching a group of people try to put up a sheet-rock wall, in hopes of stopping a oncoming train...

I must admit though, there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel:

"We all did stupid things or made bad decisions," Williams says. "Tell them about your mistakes so they know not to make them, too. Tell them about the risks you take, and teach them how to evaluate risks."

jaytown
02-07-2007, 04:50 PM
This artical proves that the media sometimes has nothing better to report on the news. :(

krepta
02-08-2007, 03:27 AM
oh my god oh my god oh my BEWM apocalypse

:nono:

:(

:chug:

chella^4
02-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by d8ff752@Feb 8 2007, 01:27 AM
oh my god oh my god oh my BEWM apocalypse

:nono:

:(