View Full Version : Teenaged drug addicts tell their secrets

drdĒv€
02-05-2007, 12:48 AM
(2/04/07 - KTRK/HOUSTON) - Smoking cigarettes, using drugs like pot, or drinking booze are no longer considered the "in thing" to do by many teenagers in Houston. Instead they are turning to things a lot of parents would never suspect -- things their teenagers can easily hide. Take a closer look into the new world of teen drug abuse -- a world that often involves getting high on "legal" drugs.

At 17 years old, this aspiring singer and songwriter's lyrics are soulful, yet simple. But if you think this story is about how she is changing the world with her talent, think again.

"I'm Mandy, and I'm an alcoholic and an addict," Mandy Wiederhold admitted.

This story is about the addiction that drives her soul and fuels the power behind her lyrics. It's an addiction one organization says one out four teens suffer with. And you probably have their drug of choice in your medicine cabinet.

Mandy told Eyewitness News, "I've done cocaine, speed, X, mushrooms. I've done a lot of over the counter pills." Her real drug of choice is Coricidin -- an over-the-counter cold medicine.

"I think the most I've ever taken is 32," said Mandy.

That's 32 pills at one time.

She said, "I think that's why I probably used as much as I did, because I wanted to be numb."

Mandy says she started drinking at age eight, and often combined the booze with pills. By 15 the medicine started eating the lining of her stomach and she developed ulcers. Yet she continued feeding her addiction.

"I never stole from my parents," Mandy insisted. "But I stole from a lot of people and sold everything I owned."

But while Mandy's addictive behavior began at a very early age, Lindsey Richardson's did not.

She said, "I'm Lindsey and I'm an alcoholic."

She was once a straight A student.

Lindsey told Eyewitness News, "Like, I was a really good girl in high school."

But when she reached 10th grade, Lindsey became addicted to Xanax -- a medicine prescribed for anxiety. Now, at the age of 18, this once-promising student is not in college, she's in rehab.

"It really makes you not care," Lindsey said. "You really don't care about anything."

We met Mandy and Lindsey through a Houston drug treatment program called "Right Step." Both are now living at a transitional house for addicts.

It's Mandy's second stint and Lindsey's first. Both girls say not only would they steal the prescription drugs from relatives' and friends' medicine cabinets, they would often sell the pills at school. Teenage drug pushers whose usage, they say, was obvious to everyone, except their parents.

Mandy said, "I don't even wear contacts but I had a contact case and there where I hide my stuff."

Stacie Allphin is Mandy's therapist and says that kind of behavior is actually quite common. Kids will often hide their drugs right under their parents' noses.

"I would hide like my marijuana behind my poster and like the Xanax and pills in the drawer of my desk," Lindsey said.

Other favorite hiding spots -- under the carpet, in books, clothing and even in their parents rooms. And with the popularity of prescription drugs like Xanax, Vicodin, OxyContin and Percocet, Allphin recommends you check your medication and the medication of older relatives as well.

She said, "If you keep your prescription drugs in the bathroom, for example, and they're constantly in your bathroom, then you might want to look at that."

Ignoring it could lead to the ultimate sacrifice.

"They'll probably bury their children," Allphin acknowledged.

Mandy said, "I'm scared of what I can do, that I can talk myself into using again. You know, justifying it -- making it seem like it's OK when it's not, and I'll die."

Here is some additional advice experts offer to parents:

Check your teen's car. A lot of times that is their safe zone and they can easily hide pills and other drugs in the glove department, center console, etc.

Go into your teen's room. It is your home and you have every right to check up on your child. Check the closet, check their drawers -- including their desk drawers. A lot of times teens might hide stuff right out in the open, so keep a look out.

Keep an eye on your own medicine cabinet. If notice your kid is going in your bathroom or wherever you keep your prescriptions on a regular basis, they are probably raiding your medications.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...ocal&id=4999726 (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=4999726)

Allen J
02-05-2007, 02:44 AM
I hide the pills in my parents' hair, they never suspect a thing :rudy_the_white:

IF ONLY THEY KNEW WHERE TO LOOK

Psychotic Break
02-05-2007, 06:54 AM
Go into your teen's room. It is your home and you have every right to check up on your child. Check the closet, check their drawers -- including their desk drawers. A lot of times teens might hide stuff right out in the open, so keep a look out.
WTF happened to respecting privacy?!

My parents don't go through my shit because they have enough trust in me that I'm doing alright and so they respect my privacy and stay out of my room. I don't think parents should be in their kids' rooms looking for drugs when there are no signs of drug abuse.

krepta
02-08-2007, 03:35 AM
wait wait wait, back up a second.

five minutes ago the commercial was TELLING me to TAKE expensive prescription medications. it would make me feel better, TV said.

mixed messages!!

HELP!

:flame:

Neutralize
02-14-2007, 03:05 PM
"If notice your kid is going in your bathroom or wherever you keep your prescriptions on a regular basis, they are probably raiding your medications."

Mum: And where do you think you're going?!
Kid: err.. the bathroom?
Mum: Now you stop right there! I've read the reports, there's only one reason you'd want to look in there! Look at yourself, why are you prancing about like that!? Its because you're on drugs isn't it!
Kid: Wtf! Its because my bladder hurts, I need to go really bad!
Mum: You would say that! Everyone knows you can't trust an Addict
*kid pisses himself*
Mum: Oh my God! My own sun, reduced to an incontinent user. We need to get you to a hospital!

Fuct UP KID
02-14-2007, 05:08 PM
dumb

Unnamed
02-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Neutralize@Feb 14 2007, 04:05 PM
"If notice your kid is going in your bathroom or wherever you keep your prescriptions on a regular basis, they are probably raiding your medications."

Mum: Now you stop right there! I've read the reports, there's only one reason you'd want to look in there! Look at yourself, why are you prancing about like that!? Its because you're on drugs isn't it!
*kid pisses himself*
Mum: Oh my God! My own sun, reduced to an incontinent user. We need to get you to a hospital!
HAhahahaah.

That's almost as moronic as "looking out" for belts.

Opeth
02-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by UnnamedGuy+Feb 14 2007, 05:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UnnamedGuy @ Feb 14 2007, 05:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Neutralize@Feb 14 2007, 04:05 PM

*kid pisses himself*
HAhahahaah.

That's almost as moronic as "looking out" for belts. [/b][/quote]
Lol, yea that was funny.

Man, so many reports and people, so little actual information. They act like they actually know something about it.

The only thing is, how is that girl having such an intense time quitting DXM. Sure it can be hard, but its not even physically addictive, she just has poor self control.