View Full Version : Robotripping: Are Your Kids Doing It?

drdªv€
02-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Robotripping: Are Your Kids Doing It?
Kids Use Cough Medicine To Get High

PITTSBURGH -- It's dangerous and it could be deadly. It’s called Robotripping. The name comes from Robitussin, one of the many over-the-counter cough medicines teenagers and young adults are using these days to get high.

It’s certainly not a new concept. Children started abusing cough syrup back in the 1960’s, but the Internet has apparently sparked a new surge.

It's celebrated all over the Web site YouTube.com where kids post videos claiming they're Robotripping -- that is, swallowing excessive amounts of medications that contain the cough suppressant dextromethorphan.

It’s sold over the counter, but when abused, the medicine can cause hallucinations and out-of-body experiences.

A local 16-year-old, we'll call “Mike”, knows all about it.

Karen Welles asked, "So you would drink a whole bottle of Robitussin?"

Mike replied, "Uh huh."

Welles said, “And what, would you get high or what?"

Mike replied, “Yeah it would be like, I don't know, for me it was like a cheaper way to get like hallucinate things, like I’d see, see things that make my vision go out and in and hear different things that weren't there at all."

Welles asked, “So you would actually hallucinate?"

“Mike” answered, "Uh yes."

Welles said, "And you liked that?"

“Mike” replied, “I uh won't lie, yes I did."

Dr. Neil Capretto, medical director of Gateway Rehabilitation Center in Aliquippa said, “They can go into a coma, they can even die."

Capretto added, "It’s commonly seen in our area right now. Especially in the middle schools and high schools."

In fact, a recent study by the Partnership for Drug Free America, estimates that nearly 2.5 million teenagers, about one in 10, got high on cough medicine in 2005.

And it's not only liquid cough medicine being abused. Kids are popping pills. One popular medication is Coricidin HBP, Cough and Cold. It has several nicknames.

It’s called CCC, Triple C and Skittles, because the pills look like candy.

Welles asked Mike, “What did the Coricidin do for you?”

Mike said, "It actually made you feel numb. You would drool different things like that. You could not control anything on your body at all. Every single time I’d do it I would, I would think that I would need more and more, so it would be like 12 to 16 and then 16 to 24 and then more and more."

Mike often shoplifted the medicine, and we found it's very easy for a teenager to not only buy it but buy large quantities of it.

One 16-year-old girl was able to buy three bottles of Robitussin at one time at three different area drug stores, no questions asked.

Some stores are now keeping it behind the counter or asking for identification. A few are keeping an eye on the medicine.

Tom Riley, a local pharmacist said, “That aisle is right in front of us so kids coming in trying to steal that sort of thing, it's not gonna happen as easily."

Mike ended up in rehab after getting his stomach pumped.

Capretto said, “It’s like playing Russian roulette. You never know what the outcome is gonna be."

Capretto said there are signs your child may be misusing the medication.

He said if they appear intoxicated, have dilated pupils, are uncoordinated or walk in a jerky manner, they may need help.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/10904146/detail.html

torque
02-02-2007, 04:19 AM
Jesus Christ -- no one at WXPI can spell "your"?

t0n3z
02-02-2007, 05:03 AM
1 out of 10 my ass... :nono:

xVertigox
02-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Capretto said, “It’s like playing Russian roulette. You never know what the outcome is gonna be."

Fucking morons.

FDR
02-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Whoops guess I spent too much time in Pittsburgh telling everyone about chugging cough syrup.

:cry:

Opeth
02-02-2007, 09:30 PM
I hate how it's not against the law to mis-communicate bullshit like this.

If your not a fucking retard, you don't do CCC's, and along those same lines, you know the outcome of ingesting this medicine; it makes you trip, and it isn't hurting you nearly as much as several other drugs (arguably, of course).

Anyways, whatever. This is nothing new, I wouldn't be surprised if these articles started popping up all over Canada soon.

Rexedgeltoe
02-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Sometimes I wonder if the authors of these articles aren't just trying to spread the news that you can get high off ccc's, I mean how else do 1 in 10 teenagers find out about it?

If anything dxm should be debunking the myth that the drug culture is confined to a bunch of underachievers and criminals, because it's all over America, rich and poor, and these kids are hearing they shouldn't do something they don't even know about.. way to fucking educate your kids!

"OK guys, it turns out you can buy a super awesome flamethrowing bazooka with land-to-air capabilities at Wal-Mart for less than 10 bucks! But hey, listen, you shouldn't get one because some other kid died or something blah blah blah...."

Aww, prevention.

GiantRobot
02-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by torque@Feb 2 2007, 04:19 AM
Jesus Christ -- no one at WXPI can spell "your"?
seems like about 1 in 3 people can't.

"Your" shows ownership.

"You're" = You are.

nazrhyn
02-04-2007, 10:16 PM
The web site is using the correct form now ... at least in the title. I was about to lose another thousandth of a point of faith in the media there for a second.