View Full Version : Cough medicine drug a hallucinogen for some

Tyutchev
12-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Staff, please move this to DXM News. Or, give me back my moderator status so I can do it myself. :P

CHICAGO, Illinois (Reuters) -- Young people are increasingly abusing a drug found in nonprescription cough medicines that can produce hallucinogenic effects, but at a risk to their well-being, researchers said Monday.

Calls for help to California's poison control system and around the United States rose by roughly 50 percent each year between 1999 and 2004 for reactions to the drug dextromethorphan, a cough suppressant found in several brands sold over the counter.

Most of the calls involved side effects suffered by youths aged 9 to 17 years that included rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure, agitation, loss of muscle control and psychotic reactions, according to the report published in the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.

Web sites that offer instructions on how to abuse legal medications have proliferated and many cough medicines containing the drug are available on the shelves of retail outlets and kept in the home, the report said.

"Preventive measures, such as placing detromethorphan-containing products behind pharmacy counters, may be an effective action to limit this increasing trend of abuse in adolescents," study author Jodi Bryner of the University of California, San Francisco, said.

Copyright 2006 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Contrite
12-05-2006, 01:22 PM
if every store started putting dex behind the counter i think i would have to cry

Demoriel
12-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Yes, I would be sooo upset about it. But I hope it doesn't happen, people really just need to stop stealing it. Those thieving thieves.

Thomas Jefferson Monk
12-05-2006, 03:31 PM
I saw this too, yesterday.

Very interesting (read: stupid, asinine) stuff. Thought about posting it, but we already know about the horror stories from DXM and that they're thinking of "moving it behind the counter."

Damn coff serup.

T.

rabit
12-05-2006, 04:36 PM
It appears to be implying "websights" are also to blame for this recent phenom. Good thing people are no longer burned at the stake or slowly dipped in a cauldron of boiling oil for providing youth corrupting information, huh ? Still though I think I would be a little nervous about this sort of thing.

We are currently under military tribunal; which makes us (U.S.) a military society; I can put nothing past anyone at this point.

Cameron
12-05-2006, 05:54 PM
all you have to do is ask the cashier for the cough syrup, get used to it, I had to, i Think it's the same deal in Aus too, if you don't want it behind the counter because you steal it then I agree with moving it behind the counter

big j
12-05-2006, 06:36 PM
This is horrible how our freedoms are being taken away gradually and no one is doing anything to stop it. The other day I was at Wal-Mart with my mother and she had to show her driver's license and sign a piece of paper just to buy a damn box of Claritin. WTF?

I'm glad I'm 18 so I don't have to worry about not having access to it, but it's annoying how they can get away with stuff like this in a supposedly "free" country.

Homosexual Dirk Diggler
12-05-2006, 07:31 PM
last i checked the right to get max fux0red off robitussin didint exist :D

nigtv
12-05-2006, 10:49 PM
store owners dont give a damn about the kids, no one does.
its all about the money yo
too much theft.

Tyutchev
12-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Thelonious Monk@Dec 6 2006, 04:31 AM
I saw this too, yesterday.

Very interesting (read: stupid, asinine) stuff. Thought about posting it, but we already know about the horror stories from DXM and that they're thinking of "moving it behind the counter."

Damn coff serup.

T.
What made me post this was it was on CNN.com. There's not a whole lot of stories about DXM on that particular website.

dextromancer
12-06-2006, 05:59 PM
FREE DXM!! He's innocent!! :pirate_sad:

Thomas Jefferson Monk
12-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by big j@Dec 5 2006, 07:36 PM
This is horrible how our freedoms are being taken away gradually and no one is doing anything to stop it. The other day I was at Wal-Mart with my mother and she had to show her driver's license and sign a piece of paper just to buy a damn box of Claritin. WTF?

I'm glad I'm 18 so I don't have to worry about not having access to it, but it's annoying how they can get away with stuff like this in a supposedly "free" country.
Haha, you're a funny one.

1. It was probably Claritin D with pseudoephedrine in it, hence the carding.

2. If you want to talk about "rights taken away" go talk to a Suni from Iran (or a woman for that matter). Until you've talked to someone like that you have *no* reason to think our rights are being taken away.

You're talking about getting high from cough syrup, get a grip.

T.

Walkaway
12-07-2006, 06:31 AM
I bet people in Iran wish they had the right to abuse cough syrup.

drunkmonk
12-09-2006, 09:37 PM
didn't they kinda sorda mention the Dextroverse in a round-about way??

olo :sly:

zepp
12-13-2006, 05:06 PM
i drink cough medicine becasue it gives me wisdom!!

Homosexual Dirk Diggler
12-14-2006, 06:10 PM
i never understood why just because some people dont have the right to bitch and complain, means no one can? whoever said life was fair, some people are born into some random 3rd world country, and there screwed, some people are born in america, were not screwed, thats just how it is you cough syrup junkies

Lucas
12-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Thelonious Monk@Dec 6 2006, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=big j,Dec 5 2006, 07:36 PM] 2. If you want to talk about "rights taken away" go talk to a Suni from Iran (or a woman for that matter). Until you've talked to someone like that you have *no* reason to think our rights are being taken away.
The fact that other people in the world suffer greater injustices doesn't mean that our injustices are nonexistant. Although in this case I truly don't think our rights have been taken away....yet...

AdultSWIM
12-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by RyanChristoph@Dec 13 2006, 05:06 PM
i drink cough medicine becasue it gives me wisdom!!
apparently it didn't teach you how to spell! meh

$H@P3$HYFTR3
12-27-2006, 07:11 PM
rights, shmights....its all about fights

ryea no fucking shit. i aint a violent person, but sometimes ya gotta fight a battle for tha scene. this IS a drug war, and we DO have to fight our side of it and be good otherwise we give em plenty of ammo to talk shit about. like od's, ccc's, thefts, violence, mad max shit, little kids trippin, etc...

like i said, i aint violent, but if i catch anyone stealing dxm, i will follow you into tha parking lot and beat you relentlessly within three inches of yer life. youll think twice next time. cuz ill be wearing a black ski mask so you dont kno me. ninja style. its you fucking thieves that make it this way. and tha irresponsible. man if the feds want dextro controlled, lets make it challenging for em. not just set em up with a guarantee. thieves make my whole crew frown. and not jsut us...tha pharmie companies too...they wanna sell you pharmies like dex, they just dont wanna lose profit. so when you start fucking with their money, youre toast. no support from any side. youre alone and on tha way out. where im from, nobody call tha cops when someone steals. you just call out yer crew and show em tha "equal and opposite reaction to their action:"

steal with both eyes open fools....you dont kno who will be waiting and watching...seas of seasoned vigilantes tryin to keep things how they are on tha dxscene

to all tha responsible ones, much love to thee... :chug: pound one for tha cause, bottoms up no gauze

to tha thieves and irresponsible fucks, fuck you from tha bottom of my heart and soul...

strange_r
12-28-2006, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Lucas+Dec 14 2006, 06:29 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lucas @ Dec 14 2006, 06:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by -Thelonious Monk@Dec 6 2006, 08:35 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--big j@Dec 5 2006, 07:36 PM
2. If you want to talk about "rights taken away" go talk to a Suni from Iran (or a woman for that matter). Until you've talked to someone like that you have *no* reason to think our rights are being taken away.
The fact that other people in the world suffer greater injustices doesn't mean that our injustices are nonexistant. Although in this case I truly don't think our rights have been taken away....yet... [/b][/quote]
Good point, noob. Stick around. I think you'll do well here.

lyrrad85
01-29-2007, 01:38 AM
trippnin in Maine. gonna move back to va. in three years.