View Full Version : New OTC policy for allergy, cold meds

drdĒv€
10-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Consumers must show a photo ID and sign a log to purchase some nonprescription sinus, cold and allergy medicines such as Claritin-D and Sudafed -- drugs that will now be locked behind the counter starting Saturday.

The federal law bans over-the-counter sales of drug products containing ephedrine, pseudoephedrine and phenylpropanolamine to curb illegal production of crystal methamphetamine, an addictive drug made with the ingredients.

Officials said online purchasers will face similar restrictions under the Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act included in the anti-terrorist Patriot Bill signed March 9 by President George W. Bush.

"This is crazy," said Jerry McIntosh, 71, a customer at the Wakefield Pharmacy in South Ozone. "I wanted to get a little NyQuil cold medicine. I have a little cold and it makes you feel a little better, but I have to give my phone number and address. This makes no sense. If this is going to be a pain in the neck, I can live without it."

His pharmacist, Bob Mason, said that while he understood the need to curb illicit drug production, the restrictions were a major hardship to him and his customers.

"It takes time to log in the information," Mason said. "Worse, some customers just walk out without buying anything. They say, 'I am not going to do it, I just have a cold,' or 'I should not be harassed just because I have allergies.'"

Jan Engle, a professor of pharmacy practice at the University of Illinois College of Pharmacy, said the important thing is to educate consumers about where their medications are now located and about differences in the new decongestants on open shelves. Many brands are substituting ephedrine and pseudoephedrine, which have 12- and 24-hour time-release formulas, with phenlyephrine, an older drug that lasts about four hours, she said.

"If you are at work and you get congested, the last thing you want to do is stop every four hours to take your medicine," said Engle, who teaches a course on over-the-counter prescription drugs. Engle warned that consumers should be prepared to encounter lines and different policy interpretations at each pharmacy. In some states, the law calls for a two-box limit, but some chain drugstores have adopted a one-box policy.

"The bottom line for consumers is that the drug is still available, it is still safe and effective, it is just in a different place," Engle said.

Dr. Dean Mitchell, an allergist with offices in Baldwin and Manhattan, welcomed the new restrictions.

"It is going to dramatically affect my patients, but in the long run I think it will do some good," he said. "Many people overuse these drugs, which all have potential side effects.

"I see patients who take decongestants on a regular basis who come in with elevated blood pressure and insomnia," Mitchell said. "A lot are suffering from sinus conditions but have not been tested for allergies. There are now special allergy drops that can reverse this problem and they may not need the medicine."

Adam Brzezinski 81, of South Ozone, learned about the restrictions Friday while trying to buy Robitussin cough syrup. "I am lucky because I have a pharmacist that knows me, but I would not give out the information at a chain store," he said.

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-hsot...y-top-headlines (http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-hsotc0930,0,2932844.story?coll=ny-top-headlines)

jaytown
10-14-2006, 12:14 PM
"Worse, some customers just walk out without buying anything. They say, 'I am not going to do it, I just have a cold,' or 'I should not be harassed just because I have allergies.'"
Maybe some people in congress don't have allergies and can't be bothered to understand why customers walk out without buying anything.
Many brands are substituting ephedrine and pseudoephedrine, which have 12- and 24-hour time-release formulas
which are being replaced with
phenlyephrine, an older drug that lasts about four hours
SO
you get congested, the last thing you want to do is stop every four hours to take your medicine," said Engle, who teaches a course on over-the-counter prescription drugs

"The bottom line for consumers is that the drug is still available, it is still safe and effective, it is just in a different place," Engle said.
The drug is still avaiable, But now you give away your privacy to our EVER INCREASING TRUSTING GOVERNMENT OF OURS!!!

AND NOBODY SEES A PROBLEM WITH THIS???????????????????