View Full Version : Cold remedy restrictions started

drdĒv€
10-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Heading to the pharmacy in search of allergy, cough and cold relief?

You might have to look a little harder. Some nonprescription medicines that used to be on pharmacy shelves must now be stored behind the counter, thanks to a federal law that goes into effect today.

Starting today, you'll have to sign a store logbook to get those medicines -- meaning you have to pick them up during pharmacy hours.

It's a measure meant to cut down on the illegal manufacture of methamphetamine, which can be made using some of the ingredients in many common cough, cold and allergy meds. Today is the last day for pharmacies to comply with the law passed earlier this year that requires any nonprescription medications containing ephedrine, pseudoephedrine or phenylpropanolamine -- used to make meth -- to be stored behind the pharmacy counter.

Most metro Detroit pharmacies have already moved those meds -- and you may already be used to asking for them at the counter.

If it's been a while since you've been to a pharmacy, or if you're wondering how to go about getting the medicines you've come to rely on, here's a primer.

Q: What medications will now be located behind the counter?

A: Anything that contains ephedrine, pseudoephedrine or phenylpropanolamine. That includes common medicines like Claritin D; Sudafed Nasal Decongestant Tablets; Advil Multi-Symptom Cold; Aleve Cold and Sinus; Robitussin Cough, Cold & Flu liquid capsules; and Children's Vicks NyQuil Cold/Cough Relief.

Q: What can I still find on the shelves?

A: Many companies have begun offering substitutes to the now-behind-the-counter medicines. For example, there's now a product called Sudafed PE, which contains an ingredient called phenylephrine in place of pseudoephedrine, that's available on the shelves.

Q: What's the difference?

A: Phenylephrine is a decongestant that can't be used to make meth. Its effects are also shorter lasting than those of pseudoephedrine, and it often has a shorter shelf life, so check the expiration date on your medicine.

Q: What else changes at the drugstore?

A: You'll now have to show photo identification and sign a logbook -- either paper or electronic -- to buy medicines stored behind the counters, but you don't need a prescription. Pharmacies will be required to keep the logbooks -- which record your name, address, product purchased, quantity and the time of sale -- for two years.

Q: How much of those products can I buy at a time?

A: The daily limit is 3.6 grams, about two packages.

Source: www.fda.gov; www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov; Free Press research

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../609300317/1025 (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060930/FEATURES08/609300317/1025)

Hadrien
10-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Q: Well, I'm not a real drugie. But I do love DXM abuse. So is this something I should worry about, as in, in the future will it become any difficulty to get my hands on cough and cold medecine?

Arm
10-13-2006, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Oct 8 2006, 12:16 PM
Q: What's the difference?

A: Phenylephrine is a decongestant that can't be used to make meth. Its effects are also shorter lasting than those of pseudoephedrine, and it often has a shorter shelf life, so check the expiration date on your medicine.
That would be hilarious if some chemist comes up with an even more powerful drug that is made from phenylephrine.

ideot
10-13-2006, 01:44 PM
3.6 grams is still a lot. I mean, I don't know anything at all about making meth but even if they do start restricting stuff that ONLY has DXM in it, 3.6 grams/day is still a pretty liberal amount. I mean, people who take medicine to actually cure their illness probably buy less than a box/bottle of cold medicine every month or so at most.

silent voice of seduction
10-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Arm@Oct 13 2006, 03:18 AM
That would be hilarious if some chemist comes up with an even more powerful drug that is made from phenylephrine.
Using the standard meth production method with phenylephrine instead of ephedrine could (I'm a poor chemist) yield 4-hydroxy-methamphetamine. 4-hydroxy-amphetamine is apparently psychoactive:

Metabolism and Excretion

Amphetamine is reported to be oxidized at the 4 position of the benzene ring to form 4-hydroxyamphetamine, or on the side chain a or b carbons to form alpha-hydroxy-amphetamine or norephedrine, respectively. Norephedrine and 4-hydroxy-amphetamine are both active and each is subsequently oxidized to form 4-hydroxy-norephedrine.
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic3/adderallxr_cp.htm

And, according to this extremely reliable source (http://www.totse.com/en/drugs/speedy_drugs/phenyl.html), 4-hydroxy-methamphetamine is active, too:
4-Hydroxy-MethAmphetamine. Pretty cool. Kinda like normal MethAmphetamine
except it get metabolised a bit faster.

jaytown
10-14-2006, 12:16 PM
That is how it usually works :P