DXM Death in McLean County

An ISU student is dead after overdosing on a chemical found in cough
syrup.

Jonathan Frary's father found him dead at his apartment in Normal in
late September. The McLean County Coroner says Frary overdosed on
dextromethorphan or DXM.

An investigation revealed the 22-year-old bought a powdered form of the
drug online.

Two of Frary's friends also admit to taking the drug.

Investigators are working to find out if DXM is a new drug trend on ISU'
s campus or if it was just popular with frary and his friends in Peoria.

Coroner Beth Carlson-Kimmerling says this is the first death from DXM in
McLean County.

Psycho
11-12-2003, 12:24 AM
Great. :shake:

convicted felon
11-12-2003, 12:50 AM
Yeah real fucking great, McCLean County is only 50 miles south from me!

rfgdxm
11-12-2003, 01:03 AM
Didn't know the DV had a special forum for such posts. The news sucks no matter where it is posted, though. :(

PeoplesMind
11-12-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by rfgdxm@Nov 12 2003, 12:03 AM
Didn't know the DV had a special forum for such posts. The news sucks no matter where it is posted, though. :(
We just post the news in this forum, so it's blogged to the front page by the script, it's more convienent and it gives a chance for users to post replies (with the number of comments linked to on the front page of the site as well)

peace,
Nitin

rfgdxm
11-12-2003, 01:55 AM
Actually a good system PeoplesMind. Particularly when it involves something like this. This isn't just yet another "kids are abusing DXM" news story that have become all to common today. Deaths are not that common, and particularly noteworthy. Although, DXM deaths have been uncommon enough I'm going to have to redo my websites to do a better job of presenting them. Ack, the HTML work, and how to do this with proper search engine optimization is not going to be trivial. Particularly with having 2 sites, one just about Coricidin. At the moment, I'll have to slap this one, and that one in Sweden I have been lazy in putting up, on the site quick.

Like, would people out there get a clue about using DXM? The last 2 deaths ordered DXM off the Internet. All the notable DXM sites are very easy to find with search engines, or hyperlinks between the sites.

SillySOB
11-12-2003, 02:27 AM
Anyone have any idea how much DXM it would take to cause a fatal overdose? I wonder why this guy didn't use a sitter if he was taking such a large amount....

rfgdxm
11-12-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by SillySOB@Nov 12 2003, 02:27 AM
Anyone have any idea how much DXM it would take to cause a fatal overdose? I wonder why this guy didn't use a sitter if he was taking such a large amount....
>Anyone have any idea how much DXM it would take to cause a fatal overdose? I wonder why this guy didn't use a sitter if he was taking such a large amount....

Excluding behavioral toxicity possibilies (which means doing something stupid on DXM), anything in the fourth plateau range is easily fatal. I should perhaps try and obtain the coroner's report on this case. Only issue is if this is public record in this state. However, because of my website I may be able to get around that because that clearly qualifies me as a journalist. The Internet is a publication medium; and with me being #1 on a Google search for "dextromethorphan" is significant. I actually had a coroner I telephoned who didn't want to talk to me about a death. He actually asked me for my website URL, and verified it on the computer on his desk before he would discuss things with me. ;) I actually would be interested in finding out the exact details here, and publicly publishing them.

rfgdxm
11-12-2003, 02:54 AM
Updated website:

http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/illinois-co...udent-death.htm (http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/illinois-college-student-death.htm)

And, THIS is damn odd:

http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/another-dxm-death.htm

Another student from the exact same college died of a DXM powder OD.

rfgdxm
11-12-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by rfgdxm@Nov 12 2003, 02:54 AM
Updated website:

http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/illinois-co...udent-death.htm (http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/illinois-college-student-death.htm)

And, THIS is damn odd:

http://www.dextromethorphan.ws/another-dxm-death.htm

Another student from the exact same college died of a DXM powder OD.
Correction. Just noticed the error. Illinois != Iowa.

Hamletthunktoomuch
11-12-2003, 06:33 PM
The article doesn't seem extensive. I am wondering if other substances were involved as well.

rfgdxm
11-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by musiclover@Nov 12 2003, 06:33 PM
The article doesn't seem extensive. I am wondering if other substances were involved as well.
>The article doesn't seem extensive. I am wondering if other substances were involved as well.

This is a good question. Recently I obtained a coroner's report on what I thought was a DXM OD death. While the person was a known DXMer, the coroner's report indicated that the person only had levels of DXM in their blood consistent with a therapeutic dose. "Therapeutic" means typical if the recommended dose on the bottle was taken. Based on this, I decided not to list this death on my website. Put in a nutshell, while this was a drug OD death, it wasn't DXM that killed.

Only way to find out for sure is contacting the coroner. Problem is state laws on this vary wildly. In one case, over the phone with someone at a coroner's office they read to me what the official finding was a recreational death involving just DXM. That one I mention above they required me to snail mail them a request for the report to get it so they had an audit trail. They wouldn't even discuss it over the phone.

Thus, to find out if other substances were involved, contact the coroner. I've added that to my "to do" list.

EvS
11-12-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by musiclover@Nov 12 2003, 06:33 PM
Exactly what I was thinking..

But damn..11-11.

That is one scary number.

Awakened
11-12-2003, 08:06 PM
You also can't rule out the idea that if a DXM user was going to make a suicide attempt, ingesting a few more grams of powder than usual might seem like the way he/she would want to go.

rfgdxm
11-13-2003, 11:46 AM
>You also can't rule out the idea that if a DXM user was going to make a suicide attempt, ingesting a few more grams of powder than usual might seem like the way he/she would want to go.

Or vice-versa:

http://www.alternet.org/print.html?StoryID=12393

Note the part about Summer Pray. This describes her as a depressed DXM abuser who committed suicide with it. However, did she leave a note, or did they just surmise that she knew proper doses and decided to commit suicide? The usual assumption when a drug abuser dies of a drug OD is that it is recreational. However, given that many suicides don't leave notes, often the truth is unknowable.

Magnus_Grey
11-13-2003, 02:00 PM
RFG, if you dont tell a joke, I am going to cry.

-Bryan

Walkaway
11-19-2003, 08:06 AM
I would like to see further evidence regarding this death. I know from experience that coroners are sometimes stupid fucks.
---
Namaste,
Cliff

rfgdxm
11-19-2003, 08:51 PM
>I would like to see further evidence regarding this death. I know from experience that coroners are sometimes stupid fucks.

I may try to see if I can get more on this from the coroner. The problem is that this report is quoting the coroner as saying this is a DXM OD death. Which almost certainly is what their official documentation says. Thus, if the coroner was a stupid fuck, almost certainly that won't be evident from their own records. It ain't likely their will be an independent autopsy.

Walkaway
11-21-2003, 04:25 PM
I'd like to see their analysis of the blood serum concentrations of DXM, the presence/absence of other drugs, and the past medical history of the deceased.
---
Namaste,
Cliff

Hamletthunktoomuch
11-21-2003, 04:35 PM
Yeah Cliff, and I'd like to see Acidkaeti in just panties and white socks but it ain't gonna happen :P :O :sly:

I2ancid
11-21-2003, 04:38 PM
awww, musiclover has a crush on kaetie.

Hamletthunktoomuch
11-21-2003, 04:52 PM
Not really I just want to see her in panties and white sox. :chug:

Walkaway
11-22-2003, 07:00 PM
---
> Yeah Cliff, and I'd like to see Acidkaeti in just panties and
> white socks but it ain't gonna happen
---
Not with that attitude it won't! I have successfully obtained medical records from coroners before. I don't see why it would be impossible here.
---
Namaste,
Cliff

Walkaway
11-23-2003, 06:50 AM
---
> Excluding behavioral toxicity possibilies (which means doing
> something stupid on DXM), anything in the fourth plateau
> range is easily fatal
---
How easily is that, again?
---
Namaste,
Cliff

rfgdxm
11-23-2003, 08:57 PM
>How easily is that, again?

It would be as easy as vomiting while on fourth plateau and choking on it. Of course a good, sober sitter would make that unlikely. Notable with all DXM death I am aware of, none of these people had a sitter.

Walkaway
11-26-2003, 07:38 AM
Good. I wished to determine that you were not referring to the intrinsic toxicity of the drug, and you weren't. 10 points for RFG.
---
Namaste,
Cliff