View Full Version : PX limits cough medicine sales to adults

drdĒv€
05-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Effective immediately, Navy exchange customers who buy an over-the-counter cough or cold medicine product containing the ingredient Dextromethorphan must show proof that they are at least 18 years old, said Navy Exchange Service Command spokeswoman Kristine Sturkie.

This applies to stores worldwide.

Dextromethorphan, also known as DXM, is an ingredient in more than 140 cough and cold medicines. It is safe when used properly, but reports of abuse are on the rise, and are leading to tighter retail controls. Officials at the Army and Air Force Exchange Service instituted the same policy earlier this year.

Food and Drug Administration officials have warned against the abuse of DXM, noting teenagers have died in such incidents. FDA notes that large quantities can cause brain damage, seizures, loss of consciousness and irregular heartbeat.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?...925-1608059.php (http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1608059.php)

dawhiterabbit
05-10-2006, 10:51 AM
yeah it is true AAFES will only let you buy 2 bottles of robogels at a time. which aint too bad cus thats what i normaly get at a time anyway. they also took everything with psudophredin off the shelves cuz of the whole meth thing.

jaytown
05-10-2006, 03:38 PM
What's the point, That only means that 17 year olds in the military can't buy any on the base. I believe most people in the military are 18 or older. right?

Unnamed
05-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by jaytown@May 10 2006, 02:38 PM
What's the point, That only means that 17 year olds in the military can't buy any on the base. I believe most people in the military are 18 or older. right?
That the people over 18 are limited in how much they purchase?

dawhiterabbit
05-11-2006, 07:03 PM
I believe most people in the military are 18 or older. right?

for the most part yes. but you can join the military at 17 with a parent or guardians approval.

That the people over 18 are limited in how much they purchase?

not sure if they even card on post. i know off post i always get carded when i buy dex.

windoze9x
05-11-2006, 08:28 PM
I got carded on one of my trips to the px lately two weeks ago but then last week i didn't get carded. the first time i bought 3 robogels and the second time i bought 2 robogels and a plain jane zicam (just to make it look less crazy buying 3 robogels haha). THe px by me doesn't have any zinite which is my favorite source. I need to get to a walgreens...

rabit
05-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Not to ask about prices but merely to comment; I bet the DXM prices are very, very reasonable on the PX ! Our service men and women deserve only the most affordable DXM !!!

windoze9x
05-14-2006, 02:55 PM
the zicam is cheap but at the two i've been to neither one have had zinite, either max or regular crap.

dawhiterabbit
05-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Not to ask about prices but merely to comment; I bet the DXM prices are very, very reasonable on the PX ! Our service men and women deserve only the most affordable DXM !!!

this not really much of a difference in price. a lil but not much. but you can go off post and get generic robogels for $3 cheaper. than the robitussin brand.

AnotherDude
05-15-2006, 12:43 AM
dawhiterabit: you in the military? if so, have you been randomly tested? and if so? how does the random testing mix with the gels and whatnot?