View Full Version : Two overdose at middle school

drdĒv€
04-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Girls sought high caused by drug in cold medicine

April 22, 2006
Two middle school students from Boynton Beach overdosed on cold medicine and were rushed to the hospital on Thursday, Palm Beach County School District officials confirmed.

During a morning bus ride to Don Estridge High Tech Middle School in Boca Raton, two female students swallowed an excess of over-the-counter cold medicine pills that contained Coricidin, also known by the street name "Triple C" or "Skittles," school principal Debra Johnson said. She did not disclose the ages or grades of the students.

About noon, fellow students found the two girls in the bathroom. One was vomiting and the other complained of rapid heartbeat, Johnson said.

They were taken to the school's clinic until paramedics arrived. The students were then transported to Boca Raton Community Hospital and released later in the day, Johnson said.

"They took [the cough medicine] because they thought it was neat to do, a way to get high," Johnson said. She said the students were being disciplined. Typically, students caught using drugs are suspended until they complete a school district intervention program called "Face It," which addresses the dangers of using drugs, Johnson said.

Coricidin is found in medicines such as Drixoral and Robitussin.

While this was the first Coricidin overdose at Don Estridge, it has a history at other schools. Last fall, four students at another Boca Raton middle school overdosed on the pills and wound up spending a night in a hospital. The nonprescription cold medicine produces hallucinations when taken in large doses, according to the National Drug Intelligence Center, based in Johnston, Pa.

That the medicine is so easily available to anyone, including children, worries some parents.

"I noticed going to my grocery story today that they have it right in the aisle," said Beatriz Berger, a Don Estridge parent. "It should be behind the counter.

"We all may have this in our medicine cabinets, so parents need to be more aware of what their children might be trying," Berger said.

Staff Writer Marc Freeman contributed to this report.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...sfla-news-palm (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/palmbeach/sfl-pcough22apr22,0,4784458.story?coll=sfla-news-palm)

Einherjar
04-26-2006, 03:11 PM

LOLOLOLOL :nitin:

rabit
04-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Apr 26 2006, 02:04 PM

"They took [the cough medicine] because they thought it was neat to do, a way to get high," Johnson said.

Yes, yes it is a very neat way to get high those sweet innocent little girlies are so right !!!

rabit
04-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Drage Av Lys@Apr 26 2006, 02:11 PM

They never get that kinda shit right. So now the active is no longer DXM it's corocidin, absolute classic!!!!!!!!

krepta
04-26-2006, 05:09 PM
wow it never stops :crazy:

silent voice of seduction
04-26-2006, 06:11 PM

lolol indeed.

Whiskey is found in such drinks as vodka and beer. :rudy_the_white:

waiting4nirvana
04-26-2006, 06:31 PM
This just bugs me- more disinfornation! Calling DXM by a brand name is questionable journalism, but calling it coriciden is just stupid and harmful. What is some kid gonna choose to buy to trip on when they read this story? why, Coriciden, of course!

Also, most, if not all, middle school students would not be able to handle most drugs, especially DXM.

This is why we need more of a national public harm reduction program. The more people dont talk about it, the more people will use DXM in one of the least safe combinations available because that is the only way they know how (courtesy of the media) to trip on it!

:flame:

rabit
04-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Its kinda funny how that happens though as blafimous as it is what happens is the heat gets thrown on coriciden. DXM energy protecting itself

vapor
04-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Drage Av Lys@Apr 26 2006, 11:11 AM

its like the funnies in the paper. Every week i get a little giggle outta the stupidity of the media.

Timid_Robot
04-26-2006, 08:23 PM
If I had never used DXM before and drank a random bottle off cough syrup I would think I was dying.

just thought I'd share

Dread Oh Dreads
04-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Apr 26 2006, 02:04 PM

:nitin:

...do I need to say more?

Atari
04-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Why the hell are kids in middle school doing any sort of drugs?

Perhaps I missing something, but when did it become allright for 11 - 14 year olds to use any recreational drug legal or illegal?

That is seriously fucked up. At that age you aren't even finished growing. Lord knows what sort of damage you are doing to yourself.

Dread Oh Dreads
04-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Atari@Apr 26 2006, 09:12 PM
Why the hell are kids in middle school doing any sort of drugs?

Times are changing...with each generation kids are rapidly growing more mature far beyond their actualy age. I started doing drugs in middleschool...marijuana in 7th, acid and prescription pills in 8th....DXM summer before 9th...and so on. Even before I knew about getting high, I figured out that taking more Nyquil than recommended made you feel "good."

I'm pretty sure that's why I have so many emotional problems..

Tyutchev
04-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by vapor@Apr 26 2006, 06:46 PM
its like the funnies in the paper. Every week i get a little giggle outta the stupidity of the media.
CARTMAN: Butters, only gay little dweebs read the funnies.

BUTTERS: Yeah I know, I read 'em all the time!

Oh, yeah, lame article. It's the unthinking actions of idiot fool-children like these that will hasten the illegality of DXM, I am sure of it.

strange_r
04-26-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Apr 26 2006, 03:04 PM
About noon, fellow students found the two girls in the bathroom. One was vomiting and the other complained of rapid heartbeat, Johnson said.

They were taken to the school's clinic until paramedics arrived. The students were then transported to Boca Raton Community Hospital and released later in the day, Johnson said.
Nausea and tachycardia with recreational doses of DXM? Nah....

It must be an OD!!!

SpiralDarkSeraphim
07-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Nausea and tachycardia with recreational doses of DXM? Nah....

It must be an OD!!!

My mother sent me to the ER twice because I was tripping. I hadn't ODed, I was just at "third plat" status...zombified with stiff legs and those classic DXM eyes.

It sucks to have to drink activated charcoal and vomit and shit it back up. Especially as I had ingested the DXM many hours before consuming the charcoal. So of course it does nothing in that case but make the tripper miserable.

Most squares think tripping on anything is an overdose.

Dreads I must say you started earlier and more hardcore than I. I did however first get smashed on booze at 14, and at 15 I drank vodka to the point of intense intoxication on a regular basis.

I must say I definately think these kids we're way too young to be trying DXM. Also, why at school? I know you don't have many places to hang at that age, but at least go spend the night at a friends house and trip together, kids! Most of the time these kids get caught because they do it in school.

justanotherday
03-14-2009, 02:26 PM
rofl i cant believe they thought it was an overdose because one chick threw up and the other chick had a fast heartbeat. since her heartbeat was fast, it was definetly an overdose :brickwall:

DAMN YOU MIDDLESCHOOLERS!!!!

Bhikku
03-14-2009, 03:07 PM
bit of a stretch on the necromancy here. x2