View Full Version : Legislation outlawing DXM goes to governor

drdĒv€
04-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Legislation outlawing DXM goes to governor after House OK

By Crystal Lindell
[email protected]
SPRINGFIELD - Legislation outlawing a common cough syrup ingredient in its pure form was approved Wednesday by the Illinois House.

Dextromethorphan, also known as DXM, is found in products such as NyQuil. However, such medications would not be affected by the measure.

The drug in its pure form can cause seizures, comas and death.

The proposal is in response to the 2004 death of Eric Richardson of Oakland and the 2003 death of Jonathan Frary, an Illinois State University student.

If someone is caught with DXM, they would get one to three years in jail and up to $25,000 in fines. Those caught selling DXM would get three to seven years in jail and $25,000 in fines under the legislation.

House Bill 4300 now goes to the governor for approval. State Rep. Chapin Rose, R-Mahomet, the measure's sponsor, said he does not anticipate opposition.

silent voice of seduction
04-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Great idea, because DXM in syrup cannot cause any of these things.

Seuss
04-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Apr 7 2006, 09:25 AM
The drug in its pure form can cause seizures, comas and death.
Yes but mixed with gooey red thickeners it's perfectly safe and delicious.

Monoliath
04-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Heh, thank god for kitchen chemistry and extractions....

Let the republican retards outlaw the pure stuff, everyone's two steps ahead of that game already.

jaytown
04-07-2006, 11:59 AM
[removed by member]

kuhlxcrunr
04-07-2006, 01:10 PM
I am not too concerned about this anyway. DXM extractions are simple, and to make a gram of DXM HCl costs about 5 dollars. It seems like powder costs have been inflated since the huge usage increase in the last too years. I remember when a Kilo of powder was 250 dollars. Now it is 5-10 dollars a gram.

the answer
04-07-2006, 01:46 PM
This sucks. I guess i ordered my powdre just in time. Any one know how long it might be until the bill would be aproved and then go into affect?

Arm
04-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Damn these knee-jerk reactionary laws!

Monoliath
04-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Yeah, that's true dude, it's funny how laws like these move through the system like a hot knife through butter, but let it be anything else and it takes forever and a day to get anything done...

Ayfere
04-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Huh? what governor, what state?

edit: oh nvm i see it - haha sux for ppl in that state...fuck the US .

Xvall
04-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Damnit, I live in Illinois.

Monoliath
04-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Xvall@Apr 7 2006, 03:37 PM
Damnit, I live in Illinois.
Call your senator and tell them you don't agree with it, well and the governor too, because your senator is the one sponsoring the whole deal.

the answer
04-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Xvall, yes call and complain....if powder gets banned im going to be so mad you have no idea. im gonna call this afternoon maybe. What should i say? Anyone who wants to help make sure us in illinois dont get this stuff banned send him an email and say somethign smart. Xvall do this too or else http://www.chapinrose.com/contact/ Oh and will this even help?

run_it
04-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Come on. Do you deviants really think this will help. Do you think by some magic of drug induced concern for your future highs that you'll be able to change the mind of a 2 dimension thinker such as a senator. Spend your time more wisely. Find ways to circumvent this ignorance. Damn the MAN!!!!!!!!!!! Full speed ahead!!!!

The beauty of ignorance is that no one else cares if your upset. Think about it.

Suburban_Prince
04-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by jaytown@Apr 7 2006, 10:59 AM
We know more about dxm then the average doctor :nitin:
the sad thing is is that is true, doctors were telling me i can get addicted to it and have withdrawals similar to heroin :magnus_grey:

the answer
04-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by run_it@Apr 8 2006, 09:06 PM
Come on. Do you deviants really think this will help. Do you think by some magic of drug induced concern for your future highs that you'll be able to change the mind of a 2 dimension thinker such as a senator. Spend your time more wisely. Find ways to circumvent this ignorance. Damn the MAN!!!!!!!!!!! Full speed ahead!!!!

The beauty of ignorance is that no one else cares if your upset. Think about it.
yeah i dont think it will help but i care about it so thats why i dont wanna just sit and let it pass by. And of course no one else cares if i am upset.

libel
04-09-2006, 06:57 PM
must be a listener and supporter of rush limbaugh's zicam revolution. but seriously, dxm is more dangerous with the addition of alcohol, peg, and other ingredients. ccc and zinites are more likely to kill someone than pure powder, due to absorption issues. Those consequences and laws are fucking rediculous. I

waiting4nirvana
04-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by kuhlxcrunr@Apr 7 2006, 12:10 PM
I remember when a Kilo of powder was 250 dollars. Now it is 5-10 dollars a gram.
Damn, you really need to find a new supplier. Mine has 25 grams for 70 bucks and free shipping!

But anyway, ignorance over the effects of DXM is far too widespread. For example, I had to give a presentation in my criminal justice class. The class is called "drugs and society" and is actually a really cool class. The prof even openly discusses the various drugs he has taken (he has used pretty much every drug that is commonly used). I chose to give my presentation on the effects of DXM and built a case for a harm reduction program for using DXM. He had never heard of it! He thought cough syrup was drunk for the alcohol. And someone in the class said that you should drink Nyquil and use CCC when using DXM recreationally! Not a good idea!

I just wish people were less ignorant! :shake: