View Full Version : Disturbing drug trend invades Murphy

Karmakaze
02-23-2006, 03:38 PM
http://www.cherokeesentinel.com/news/2006/...t_Page/008.html (http://www.cherokeesentinel.com/news/2006/0222/Front_Page/008.html)

Although this article really doesn't give us any kind of real information, I thought I'd share.

If the line "Like other domestic substances used to catch a high such as glue, markers, or spray paint, the popular cough syrup Robitussin is being abused for its hallucinogenic properties." doesn't piss you off, I don't know what does.

Xvall
02-23-2006, 04:56 PM
LOL. Yeah, cough syrup and spray paint - loads in common.

Who the fuck inhales spray paint, anyways?

However this patented, over-the counter drug has psychedelic properties equal to that of the illegal drugs PCP (phencyclidine) and LSD (Lysergic acid diethylamide.)

LOL! Yes! DXM, LSD, PCP; exactly the same!

“Mouthwash and Robitussin can be like any other drug,” expressed Kilby. “The best solution is for people to get counseling.”

LMFAO.

since96
02-24-2006, 08:43 AM
Lethal drug cocktails. I like that...

D3xDr0DaCl0wn
02-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Xvall@Feb 23 2006, 04:56 PM

or drinks fuckin mouthwash.

Tooolsmoked
02-26-2006, 10:03 PM
lol thanks,
I needed a good laugh :P

berkelsauce
03-05-2006, 08:09 PM
why does this issue attract so many piss-poor journalists?

defenestrate
03-18-2006, 06:28 AM
unfortunately, berkelsauce, factual ineptitude and fallacious logic run rampant in news stories about almost anything. i think it's the natural result of merging information and entertainment. infotainment pays more when more people read, and more people are going to read bullshit that sounds big than to read "like nearly any other medicine on the planet, taking much larger doses than recommended on the label can result in effects that differ from taking a standard recommended dose. also, the only terrorists that drug money pays for are the terrorists our very own DEA/CIA/etc train to fight eachother in those countries full of brown people that we play against eachother for our own political and financial gain."

the truth doesn't pay the bills-and it ESPECIALLY doesn't pay the bills of the people who are in a position to influence the media to regurgitate whatever cobbled together shite they will benefit from.

Walkaway
03-20-2006, 06:14 AM
If the line "Like other domestic substances used to catch a high such as glue, markers, or spray paint, the popular cough syrup Robitussin is being abused for its hallucinogenic properties." doesn't piss you off, I don't know what does.
Unfortunately, this quote accurately represents a large portion of the social demographic of DXM users.

Midknight
03-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Beh, let them be foolish I suppose, it's when legislation comes into play to take another god given right that ...
smoke bud.

DXM User
04-02-2006, 02:11 PM
DXM similar to PCP and LSD?

*sniff...sniff* smells like BULLSHIT!

The PCP one I can't speak about firsthand, but if DXM were like LSD you wouldn't see me laying out so much money a month for my blotter. Honestly, this is absolutely retarded.

New law; no writing news stories/pamphlets about drugs unless you have tried them.

irws
04-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by DXM User@Apr 2 2006, 10:11 AM
New law; no writing news stories/pamphlets about drugs unless you have tried them.
i would love so very much for this law to pass.

SpiralDarkSeraphim
07-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Unfortunately, this quote accurately represents a large portion of the social demographic of DXM users.

This seems to be true. Most of the people I've met in my town who regularly use DXM do it in the form of Coriciden. Many of them also consume large doses of Angel Trumpets and huff computer air duster. Most of them are not interested in researching any of the drugs they use.

On another note, this statement seems to imply that inhaling volatile inhalants produces "hallucinogenic" effects.

LOL! Yes! DXM, LSD, PCP; exactly the same!

I think they may have meant that the experience is similar or equal in INTENSITY to...rather than identical to. Then again, as I noted, this journalist referred to inhalants as hallucinogenic...so who knows.

Tyutchev
07-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by DarkSpyral@Jul 23 2006, 10:20 AM
On another note, this statement seems to imply that inhaling volatile inhalants produces "hallucinogenic" effects.

I think they may have meant that the experience is similar or equal in INTENSITY to...rather than identical to. Then again, as I noted, this journalist referred to inhalants as hallucinogenic...so who knows.
Inhalants can produce extremely strong hallucinations if you huff enough, are on other drugs at the time, or are susceptible to them. I've read a lot of reports about people having crazy-ass hallucinations and trip-like effects from inhalants. They are very unpleasant-feeling drugs, however, and fucking dangerous... except for the few decent ones (amyls, nitrous, etc.), but that goes without saying.

I found the article to be quite ridiculous, but I was a bit impressed with this comment:

By drinking more than the recommended dosage of the medicine, “syrup heads” or abusers, experience dream like states of lucidity wherein one can hear voices, talk to imaginary people, and have skewed perceptions of space and time.

While I've never heard any tripper call themself a "syrup head" (wtf?), I do feel that the description of DXM's effects in that quote is quite accurate. One small bit of accuracy in an article full of bullshit isn't that reassuring, however.

neko
07-23-2006, 04:36 AM
The inexpensive and accessible cough syrups serves as an easy way for teenagers and late twenty-year-olds to get high

at least people in their early and mid twenties are okay!

assuming that's what they mean, wtf is a 'late twenty-year-old'

SkimmerX
07-23-2006, 05:01 AM
I saw that too Neko. I guess he was assuming once you turn 21 no one would want to use something the tussin anymore because they could buy booze.

I like the opening statement

Teens across the nation are turning to the cough syrup, Robitussin, for a new thrill that goes beyond curing the common cold.

maybe my grammer skillz are to blame or maybe im just buzzed- but its like by adding in thoose commas the author makes "The Cough Syrup" a proper noun.

The Cough Syrup, Robotussin. I dunno I can't explain. Like "the cough syrup" is going to be a household phrase in murphy now.

which murphy BTW-

Population (year 2000): 1,568. Estimated population in July 2005: 1,565

they have a walmart though!

AnotherDude
07-23-2006, 09:58 AM
The Cough Syrup = The Robitussin = The 'Bo.

Dexter the Meth Orphan
07-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by gaze of sorrow+Feb 24 2006, 12:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gaze of sorrow @ Feb 24 2006, 12:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Xvall@Feb 23 2006, 04:56 PM

or drinks fuckin mouthwash. [/b][/quote]
This happens...one of my budds in rehab was a hardcore booze hound, and showed people that you can take deodorant mixed with water and get drunk from small amounts of alcohol IF you really wanted to. Not that this is on topic, but there are some crazy fuckers in the world. You never know from one minute to the next how to feel about substance abuse...hell, I abuse lots of things and am shocked to know some of the shit people do to get high. No thanks though...I will stick to my cough prep.