View Full Version : 'skittling' And The Dea's Latest Warning About Dxm

PeoplesMind
10-22-2003, 09:09 PM
'Skittling' New Drug Of Choice For Some Teens

There's a new and dangerous way that teenagers are getting high. Two Milwaukee mothers said "skittling" almost took the lives of their daughters.

These mothers got a crash course in "skittling" when their teenage daughters wound up in the Children's Hospital emergency room.

Kids call it "skittling" because Coricidin HBP, a popular over-the-counter cold medication, looks like candy.

"They were literally just tearing at the package with their teeth trying to get the last one open. They couldn't get it open. That's what saved them," Terri said.

"I don't know if there's permanent damage to my daughter's liver. I don't know that," Shelby said.

They take many times the recommended dose, and sometimes, they chase it with alcohol.

Mollie, 16, and Ashley, 15, admit they've tried it more than once. But the last time as the worst.

"And it was really scary," Mollie said.

At $8 a box, it's a cheap, easy way to get high, and a lot of kids know about it. It's not illegal to possess, either.

"You don't have to worry about smelling like anything, or your eyes getting all dilated or whatever. You can just be in class, and be all high off of Skittles or whatever," a teenager said.

"At least three to five times a day, we get calls from parents or from schools, where one, two or more kids are taking these over-the-counter tablets in an attempt to get high," said Dr. Ernie Stremski, of the Poison Control Center.

The Internet has plenty of information on how to "skittle." Experts say it's one of the main ways kids learn about this.

But these drug abuse Web sites have less information on the serious consequences of "skittling."

"You run a risk of coma. You run a risk of (stopping) breathing. You definitely run a risk of experiencing a seizure," Stremski said.

"It's not like we do it purposely. This drug is addictive," Ashley said. "If you take it once, you just have the urge to take it again. You can't help it."

Managers of many Walgreen's stores know kids are abusing Coricidin HPB. That's why they've pulled it off the shelves, and sell it at the pharmacy. But other chains have not.

"I want it off the shelves. I want it where it's controlled," Shelby said.

"It wouldn't hurt to occasionally just make sure it's not lying in your sons' or daughters' rooms, and just assume they're taking it for a cold, because that might not be the case," Terri said.

Schering-Plough, the drug company that makes Coricidin, supports pharmacies' efforts to restrict the sale to young people.

[Dextroverse Note : If you click the link below, and notice the links they provide, they provide a hot link to the dextroverse. More specifically, our Archives where they Link to the Coricidin Abuse Study, it is the first link on the news website.]

READ ARTICLE : http://www.local6.com/health/2573515/detail.html

DEA warns parents of new drug

The United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Detroit Office is issuing a safety warning to parents, schools and local communities regarding a recent escalation in the abuse of dextromethorphan, the cough suppressant in over-the-counter cough and cold medications.

Dextromethorphan abuse in the Detroit area has seen a disturbing increase recently with the Northeastern Wayne County area showing above average abuse. Isolated deaths and overdoses have been reported throughout the United States involving teens experimenting with dextromethophan or "DXM" as users refer to it. This Document is generated from Open Source information and contains no classified information.

Dextromethorphan abuse is often referred to as "RoboTripping" since many teens consume excessive amounts of Robotussin cough medication to obtain the dextromethophan.

The user population of DXM is generally teenagers and young adults. Teens typically purchase and consume these large quantities of over-the-counter cold medications to reach the desired effects. Effects from over ingestion include slurred speech, hyperexcitability, lethargy, sweating, hypertension and hallucinations.

Unfortunately, in addition to over-the-counter medications, some predatory distributors have sought to sell dextromethophan on the Internet.

The Morganfield Police Department is dissemindating the following information to parents in the area:

-- Monitor your teens behavior for sudden and extreme changes in personality, especially in the following areas:
-- Are your teens eating habits changing dramatically, especially if they are less interested in eating?
-- Are your kids excessively secretive about their computer use?
-- Are your children receiving unusual mail or mail without return addresses?
-- Are your children interested in obtaining private mailboxes without the need?

Teens are often under the mistaken impression that abusing substances such as dextromethorphan, inhalants and nitrous oxide as not as dangerous as traditional "street" drugs. This is a fallacy that law enforcement, parents and the media need to work hard to dispel. These myths can in fact be deadly.

For more information on dextromethorphan, go to: www.dea.gov (Source: DEA)

For any questions on thesubject contact Lt. Col. Jeffery W. Hart, Morganfield Police Department, 1-270 389-4357.

READ ARTICLE : http://www.ucadvocate.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi...+20031022+lnews (http://www.ucadvocate.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?/200310/22+DEA-warns-parents-of-new-drug-10-22-03_lnews.html+20031022+lnews)

libel
10-22-2003, 09:13 PM
<04luciddistortion> Monitor your teens behavior for sudden and extreme changes in personality, especially in the following areas:
<04luciddistortion> -- Are your teens eating habits changing dramatically, especially if they are less interested in eating?
<04luciddistortion> -- Are your kids excessively secretive about their computer use?
<04luciddistortion> -- Are your children receiving unusual mail or mail without return addresses?
<04luciddistortion> -- Are your children interested in obtaining private mailboxes without the need?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH THEY ARE TOTALLY ON TO US :sly:

HeadOnAStick
10-22-2003, 09:25 PM
"At least three to five times a day, we get calls from parents or from schools, where one, two or more kids are taking these over-the-counter tablets in an attempt to get high," said Dr. Ernie Stremski, of the Poison Control Center.

Bullllshit, that can't be true. Are there really that many idiots so desperate for a buzz that they'll take Coricidin?

The Internet has plenty of information on how to "skittle." Experts say it's one of the main ways kids learn about this.

Are there really sites that encourage taking Coricidin? I've seen plenty of sites talking about the dangers of dxm, all of which are unconfirmed as far as I can tell, and every dxm-related site I've been to is very straightforward about the dangers of CCCs. "NEVER TAKE CORICIDIN" etc.

But these drug abuse Web sites have less information on the serious consequences of "skittling."

Funny how they bitch about things like this (if this is even true) and don't do anything, like educate the public, take down these websites, or force the websites to include said information

"It's not like we do it purposely. This drug is addictive," Ashley said. "If you take it once, you just have the urge to take it again. You can't help it."

:flame: They're ruining it for all of us

KathrynCoagula
10-22-2003, 09:27 PM
Okay...

*takes a deep breath*

thank god this isnt in my newspaper....cause I would be in the livingroom right now hearing some long damn speech about how these people almost died...because they were fucking DUMB. But anyways...
The quote about how they didn't do it on purpose? WTF?

Thats such a dumb comment.
"I didn't mean to smoke crack..I swear"
"I didn't kill your child on PURPOSE, I just kind ran over her"

The fact is you still did it. I don't know some kids don't seem to have a will or a clue. Abuse of DXM by the high school kids is really gettign out of hand I don't want to even go back to my school and see what has happened with "the drug trend" because I know what it's gonna be.

Sorry Im rambling but anyways yeah..DEA..WARNING...eh...that sucks.

<3kaet :pills:

rfgdxm
10-22-2003, 09:58 PM
>Are there really sites that encourage taking Coricidin? I've seen plenty of sites talking about the dangers of dxm, all of which are unconfirmed as far as I can tell, and every dxm-related site I've been to is very straightforward about the dangers of CCCs. "NEVER TAKE CORICIDIN" etc.

None of any significance, which is what has me so pissed off. Grrrr.... I'm #1 on Google for a search on Coricidin, and the Dextroverse, the Third Plateau, and Erowid all say not to use Coricidin. Basically, they have this totally backwards. If the DXM websites were influencing kids, they'd be swilling Robo Max while scared shitless about using Coricidin.

At best this is journalistic incompetence. At worst this is intentional lying for propaganda and scare purposes. I'm seriously tempted to take down my sites. At the moment I'm leaving them up out of spite. I figure that lots of parents will search after this news report, and find out that it lies.

Væ§ølis
10-22-2003, 11:41 PM
At best this is journalistic incompetence. At worst this is intentional lying for propaganda and scare purposes. I'm seriously tempted to take down my sites. At the moment I'm leaving them up out of spite. I figure that lots of parents will search after this news report, and find out that it lies.

indeed, we have come across numerous reports by journalists (and i use that term loosley) who are simply not well enough informed on the facts, and they seem to conveniently overlook the urgency and seriousness of the movement we fight for, arm in arm. however, do not let them drag you down robert, and for heaven's sake, don't pull your sites man! they will do so much more for people if they stay in place, isn't that the reason you founded the harm reduction project to begin with?

pr0zac
10-22-2003, 11:54 PM
Favorite parts:
"Kids call it "skittling""
Skittling! First time I've heard that one...

""They were literally just tearing at the package with their teeth trying to get the last one open. They couldn't get it open. That's what saved them," Terri said."
The kids couldn't open a package of cough medicine, and you expect them to use drugs responsibly?

"The Internet has plenty of information on how to "skittle." Experts say it's one of the main ways kids learn about this.w
But these drug abuse Web sites have less information on the serious consequences of "skittling." "
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-...G=Google+Search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=skittling&btnG=Google+Search)
Theres the link for the google search on "skittling." First one to find a page saying how great Coricidin is wins!

""It's not like we do it purposely. This drug is addictive," Ashley said. "If you take it once, you just have the urge to take it again. You can't help it.""
Yep, its not at all your fault that you took a drug. Yep, ok. Yep.

"Unfortunately, in addition to over-the-counter medications, some predatory distributors have sought to sell dextromethophan on the Internet."
Predatory! Thats hilarious.

For more information on dextromethorphan, go to: www.dea.gov (Source: DEA)
YAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Man thanks Nitin, I needed a good laugh.

-zac

HeadOnAStick
10-23-2003, 12:08 AM
Perhaps we should send a letter to all newspapers, governments and reporters who so enjoy digging up "dirt" on dxm, and tell them this:

"Go to Google.com and tap in "Coricidin" in the search box. Click on the "I'm Feeling Lucky!" button, which (I'm sure everyone short of the mole people knows) takes you to the very first website brought up in the search."

And when searching for Coricidin, the FIRST FUCKING SITE that comes up, is rfgdxm's Coricidin Harm Reduction website. (Thanks for that reply post, by the way.)

It's hard to believe that ANY person would be stupid enough to see this site, ignore it, and go on to find a site that DOES encourage coricidin use.

For some reason I think these reporters are on worse drugs than us.

Not ONLY does the first paragraph in rfgdxm's magneficent site state that coricidin is dangerous and should NOT be abused, but offers an alternative by telling all readers that if they ARE going to abuse cough medicine, that they should find a DIFFERENT PRODUCT that will not cause such harm. He even gives examples as to what products to buy.

Now, I know this is common knowledge among the DV, but I just found this out, and found it outrageous. One of the most popular search engines on the internet, and this reporter still found a way to blame websites for encouraging coricidin use.

What
The
Fuck. :eh:

SkimmerX
10-23-2003, 09:10 AM
on google i had to go to page three to find any thing remotely positive about coricidin.

EvS
10-23-2003, 03:32 PM
They actually link back to the DV at the bottom.

hatd0g
10-24-2003, 02:19 AM
i'e never heard it callled skittliing
my friends that taught me about it used coricodin but i got off that right away and got my friends off it too