View Full Version : Doctors: OTC Cough Syrups Not Effective

drdĒv€
01-09-2006, 06:13 PM
CHICAGO (AP) - Despite the billions of dollars spent every year in this country on over-the-counter cough syrups, most such medicines do little if anything to relieve coughs, the nation's chest physicians say. Over-the-counter cough syrups generally contain drugs in too low a dose to be effective, or contain combinations of drugs that have never been proven to treat coughs, said Dr. Richard Irwin, chairman of a cough guidelines committee for the American College of Chest Physicians.

Drugstore shelves are crowded with cough syrups promising speedy, often non-drowsy relief without a prescription.

But "the best studies that we have to date would suggest there's not a lot of justification for using these medications because they haven't been shown to work," said Irwin, a professor of medicine at the University of Massachusetts Medical School in Worcester, Mass.

The group's new cough treatment guidelines discourage use of over-the-counter cough medicines. Irwin said that not only are such medicines ineffective at treating coughs due to colds - the most common cause of coughs - they can also can lead patients to delay seeking treatment for more serious coughs, including whooping cough.

The guidelines strongly recommend that adults receive a new adult vaccine for whooping cough, approved last year.

The Consumer Healthcare Products Association, a trade group for makers of over-the-counter medications, disputed the guidelines and said over-the-counter cough medicines provide relief to millions of people each year.

The guidelines were published in the January issue of Chest, the American College of Chest Physicians' journal, released Monday. The recommendations have been endorsed by the college, the American Thoracic Society and the Canadian Thoracic Society.

Many popular over-the-counter cough medicines proudly advertise that they don't cause drowsiness, but Irwin said that is because they do not contain older antihistamine drugs that do help relieve coughs that are due to colds.

These antihistamines, including diphenhydramine - an active ingredient in Benadryl - are also available over the counter but are not marketed as cough medicines, he said.

Some over-the-counter cough syrups contain two drugs that have been shown to help relieve coughs caused by colds - codeine and dextromethorphan - but generally the doses are too small to be effective, Irwin said.

Dextromethorphan is in Robitussin, a top-selling over-the-counter cough syrup. It is among Robitussin ingredients that the Food and Drug Administration has found to be safe and effective, said Francis Sullivan, a spokesman for Wyeth Consumer Healthcare, which makes Robitussin.

Sullivan said Robitussin "wouldn't be a top brand if people didn't feel it was efficacious."

Coughs can have numerous underlying causes, including asthma, allergies, severe heartburn, postnasal drip and bronchitis.

Dr. Edward Schulman, an American Thoracic Society representative on the guidelines panel, said patients should see their doctors for coughs that linger longer than three weeks or are accompanied by shortness of breath, which could indicate pneumonia or other serious conditions.

Coughs due to colds usually last less than three weeks. Drinking lots of fluids can help relieve these coughs, and so can chicken soup, Schulman said.

http://beta.abc3340.com/news/stories/0106/292480.html

Arm
01-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Codeine OTC in America? :magnus_grey:

So the good doctor said to take more cough medicine. You heard the doctor, chug that tussin!

Suburban_Prince
01-09-2006, 07:40 PM
when i use tussin the way its supposed to be used i dont cough, it at least works for me.

but somehow i feel as if this is a way to try to get peeps to go against DXM so they can eventually ban it, but i might just be paranoid.

Cameron
01-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Jan 9 2006, 06:13 PM
Sullivan said Robitussin "wouldn't be a top brand if people didn't feel it was efficacious."

lol, it might be other reasons too..... :chug:

eatingflowers
01-09-2006, 09:46 PM
I feel like my lungs have been opened up 10 fold after a few bottles.

Rodion Romanovich
01-09-2006, 09:46 PM
i think the eggs about to crack...the only reason max strength is around is to trip and the pharmacorps know this...i bet ona 20/20 or 60 minutes or 48 hours episode on DXM sometime this year.

Tyutchev
01-09-2006, 10:57 PM
I've never taken DXM in recommended doses, but it's bullshit if people claim it doesn't suppress coughs. Even on a 1st plat if I smoke some bongs I barely notice the smoke going down my throat... and I never cough, despite how harsh it is.

Codeine syrups are OTC here in Australia. I could go and buy a bottle of Nucosef right now, which contains codeine and pseudoephedrine. It's probably the best tasting cough syrup I've ever tried... actually tastes kind of nice. I'd rather chug a bottle of that stuff than robo, flavour-wise.

Walkaway
01-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Actually, the article states that DXM is effective as a cough suppressant - just not at the recommended doses.

Higher doses inevitably cause psychoactive effects, and thus from a conventional medical standpoint are undesirable.

What they really want is a cough medication that can't possibly be abused.

stile
01-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by hungerpuppy@Jan 9 2006, 09:46 PM
i think the eggs about to crack...the only reason max strength is around is to trip and the pharmacorps know this...i bet ona 20/20 or 60 minutes or 48 hours episode on DXM sometime this year.
I hope not.
This shite bothers me, what if the crazy mofo's decide to take it of the shelf?
My worst nightmare is coming true :shake:

Hate Shade
01-10-2006, 05:16 AM
I do believe that this is nothing more than a plot to get DXM behind the counter. These studies are completely bogus, much like the studies on second hand smoke. This is bad though, if DXM becomes a controlled substance I don't think we'll ever be able trip off it again. I'll fucking assassinate Dr. Phil out of spite if that shit happens.

Kaiserin
01-10-2006, 07:33 AM
I don't have much to say about the main idea, but I'm all about putting dxm behind counters.

xeon
01-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Hate Shade@Jan 10 2006, 05:16 AM
I do believe that this is nothing more than a plot to get DXM behind the counter. These studies are completely bogus, much like the studies on second hand smoke. This is bad though, if DXM becomes a controlled substance I don't think we'll ever be able trip off it again. I'll fucking assassinate Dr. Phil out of spite if that shit happens.
I agree. I hope that's not what this "study" is getting at, but time will tell. :cry: I hate "dr" phil with a passion as well, I'll help you with that if the time indeed comes.

Suburban_Prince
01-10-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Walkaway@Jan 9 2006, 11:14 PM
What they really want is a cough medication that can't possibly be abused.
lol the benedryl that they are promoting also can be abused

$H@P3$HYFTR3
02-19-2006, 11:21 PM
oh trust me....hehe....it werx....he...hee...it werx all too well....he...hhee....drink this see shit

$H@P3$HYFTR3
02-21-2006, 08:52 PM
i stock tha fuck up on dex hardcore just in case shits about to go down. even if it doesnt, ill have a lot of shit to sip on. oh yea.....drink this see shit fa lyfe

RaiderBoca
02-22-2006, 11:44 AM
I've read this article before - it's not much cause for concern. We have few years at least with dxm, probably more. The worst is they'll put it behind the counter, in that case you need to be 18 - so be it, im 21.

jaytown
02-22-2006, 12:26 PM
[removed by member]

jaytown
02-22-2006, 12:32 PM
[removed by member]