View Full Version : Teens abusing cough syrup

drdĒv€
12-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Knoxville (WVLT) - Cough syrup is legal, cheap and easy to obtain and its abuse is nothing new. But many in the medical community now believe it's a problem more mainstream than once thought.

While kids have been drinking cough syrup to get high for years, medical experts say it has never been this popular.

Recent studies suggest one in 11 us teenagers has abused cough medicine.

"This type of abuse is very common. Our own local treatment facilities have confirmed this is very common in Knoxville with younger kids," says Tyra Haag, Metropolitan Drug Commission, Project Director.

What was once considered a fringe behavior has gone mainstream.

And in Knoxville, the metropolitan drug commission says cough syrup abuse is occurring predominantly among middle school students, because of its accessibility.

The number of young people abusing and dying from cold medicine is on the rise, many craving an ingredient in the medicine called dextromethorphan, or DXM.

"Well, the active ingredient in these products is DXM which produces a hallucinogenic type state, sort of like marijuana does," says Haag.

Called 'Triple C', 'Doing Skittles' or 'Robo-tripping', the active ingredient is found in more than 120 nonprescription cough and cold medicines.

Users can suffer psychosis, brain damage and seizures and overdoses can be fatal.

14 people died last year from intentional overdoses of cold medicines, and several hundred were hospitalized.

Law enforcement officials are campaigning for drug stores to start asking for identification.

Locally, two drug store chains have already done so.

"Walgreens and CVS have recognized this as a problem and they card anyone wanting to purchase these products," Haag says.

Cough syrup abuse is becoming so common, many medical experts have gone so far as to suggest you keep your medicine cabinet under lock and key, much like you would your liquor cabinet.

As a parent, there are things you can do:

Be on the lookout for slurred speech and dilated pupils.

And take note of empty cough medicine bottles around the house, especially when it's not cold and flu season.

http://www.volunteertv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4264057

Arm
12-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Dec 20 2005, 09:17 AM
HA HA HA HA, yeah fucking right. :magnus_grey:

aniwarp
12-22-2005, 05:35 PM
That magical number shows up again... 11.

Bevo
12-23-2005, 03:51 AM
If you had been in my shoes with dxm, you would realize that this may turn out to be a good thing.

Walkaway
12-23-2005, 08:24 PM
I wonder if these studies differentiated between prescription and non-prescription cough medicines.

Walkaway
12-23-2005, 08:25 PM
If you had been in my shoes with dxm, you would realize that this may turn out to be a good thing.
Plz explain?

greengovernment
12-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Dec 20 2005, 10:17 AM
"Well, the active ingredient in these products is DXM which produces a hallucinogenic type state, sort of like marijuana does," says Haag.
DXM... Weed... I Cannot tell a difference. :magnus_grey:

Walkaway
12-25-2005, 07:10 PM
That isn't what he said, or implied.

greengovernment
12-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Walkaway@Dec 25 2005, 07:10 PM
That isn't what he said, or implied.
Can't you just stretch the truth and mock them with me. :(

Walkaway
12-26-2005, 06:11 PM
No.

Bevo
12-31-2005, 03:46 PM
Walkaway: I believe I started to use DXM before I was really mentally rady for it, at the age of 16...

maybe if I had been carded for it then I might not have gotten so hooked on it there for a while, using it for the wrong reasons.

Thankfully those days are over :)

xeon
01-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Bevo@Dec 31 2005, 03:46 PM
Walkaway: I believe I started to use DXM before I was really mentally rady for it, at the age of 16...

maybe if I had been carded for it then I might not have gotten so hooked on it there for a while, using it for the wrong reasons.

Thankfully those days are over :)
Same situation with me, except I was 14.

hometoys
01-03-2006, 04:17 PM
While kids have been drinking cough syrup to get high for years, medical experts say it has never been this popular.

Only the kids, remember that.