View Full Version : Student drug use is focus of forum

drdĒv€
11-24-2005, 08:32 AM
WALLINGFORD - Delaware County law enforcement officers are looking to new methods to keep drugs out of local schools.
"The bad guys are very savvy," Delaware County District Attorney G. Michael Green said at a prescription drug abuse forum on yesterday at the Springhaven Club in Wallingford.

"The latest trend in distribution is cell phone video communication," Green said. "Flashing a digital image of where to meet."

The forum consisted of over 100 community members including teachers, law enforcement officials, doctors, pharmacists, administrators and concerned parents who addressed new street and prescription drugs.

Along with using cell phones to make transactions, Green insisted the Internet has become a conduit for dealing illegal prescription drugs.

"There's a growing trend in this part of the country of sales of prescription mimicked [drugs] via the Internet," Green said.

"It is very easy to place these orders," Green said. "Teenagers and young adults in this region are receiving these [Internet] packages."

Students are using everything from OxyContin and Percocet to Robitussin and cough syrup to get high, according to Troy Brindle, a licensed clinical social worker for the Association of Springfield Psychological.

"They nicknamed them generation RX, the prescription generation," Brindle said.

Springfield Police Detective Mark Cottom insisted that with the new drugs being used in schools, old techniques are no longer effective.

"There are things we can do, but there is going to be a way to circumvent that," Cottom said. "Our kids are much more intelligent than we were at their age."

Techniques like using drug dogs to search the school are ineffective because substances like ecstasy can be placed in water and sipped, according to Cottom.

Dr. Sherry Siegel, from Purdue Pharma, insisted that urine tests are obsolete when dealing with prescriptions.

"Urine drug tests are designed to detect street drugs," Siegel said.

Another drug Green warned about that is infiltrating younger residents is methamphetamine (meth) because the ingredients to make it are readily accessible.

"Ingredients can be obtained at any drug store or hardware store," Green said. "In Delaware County we're starting to spot people between [the ages of] 25 and 35 that are abusers of the drug."

Cottom - who works with students from Springfield, Upper Darby and other high schools - agreed that meth use is increasing.

"The ones I'm seeing abused the most are heroin and meth," Cottom said.

School officials have to work with law enforcement officers to monitor drug activity throughout schools, according to Green.

"We're not looking to dime out individual students, we're looking for chatter," Green said. "We want the intelligence if nothing else."

Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA) and Purdue Pharma sponsored the forum.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=..._id=45529&rfi=6 (http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15586706&BRD=1725&PAG=461&dept_id=45529&rfi=6)

levomethorphan
11-25-2005, 06:37 AM
Dr. Sherry Siegel, from Purdue Pharma, insisted that urine tests are obsolete when dealing with prescriptions.

That is bullshit. Even the most basic 5-panel drug test detects opiate painkillers and amphetamine pills, which are two of the most popular pill types used for recreational use. A representative from Purdue Pharma, the renowned maker of opiate pharmaceuticals like Palladone and OxyContin should know that.

Granted, the 5-panel test does not detect barbiturates or benzodiazepines, but there are readily-available extended drug tests that do test for benzodiazepines and/or barbiturates, if schools really think those are such a problem.

Shadow
11-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by levomethorphan@Nov 25 2005, 04:37 AM

That is bullshit. Even the most basic 5-panel drug test detects opiate painkillers and amphetamine pills, which are two of the most popular pill types used for recreational use. A representative from Purdue Pharma, the renowned maker of opiate pharmaceuticals like Palladone and OxyContin should know that.

Granted, the 5-panel test does not detect barbiturates or benzodiazepines, but there are readily-available extended drug tests that do test for benzodiazepines and/or barbiturates, if schools really think those are such a problem.
who cares what the school thinks, its invasion of privacy if they try and piss test me, and they will hear from a lawyer if they try and make me.

Unnamed
11-26-2005, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Nov 24 2005, 08:32 AM
"Our kids are much more intelligent than we were at their age."

I blame the drugs.

ferk
11-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Where the fuck is the website where I can order Oxy and why haven't I heard about it yet?

Walkaway
11-28-2005, 05:04 PM
HAHA YOU'RE OUT OF THE LOOP OMG LOSER

UnartisticInc
11-28-2005, 05:46 PM
When I saw the title "Drug use is focus of forum," I thought they were talking about the Dexrtoverse.

Shadow
11-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by UnartisticInc@Nov 28 2005, 03:46 PM
When I saw the title "Drug use is focus of forum," I thought they were talking about the Dexrtoverse.
me too, actually.

Suburban_Prince
12-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Nov 24 2005, 08:32 AM
"The bad guys are very savvy," Delaware County District Attorney G. Michael Green said at a prescription drug abuse forum on yesterday at the Springhaven Club in Wallingford
omg please, "bad guys" :P

Robot Ripper
12-05-2005, 11:06 AM
dex and you can never die. :O