View Full Version : Students: Drug use survey has hits, misses

drdªv€
11-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Several Frederick County high school students said this week that a recent state survey analyzing their substance use isn’t really accurate.
In October, the state Department of Education released the results of the 2004 Maryland Adolescent Survey, a questionnaire given to students in sixth, eighth, 10th and 12th grades requesting anonymous information on use of substances such as tobacco, alcohol and various drugs.

In Frederick County, while students in the lower grades were either at or below state averages for several substances, high school seniors were higher than state percentages in seven of nine categories, including binge drinking and use of marijuana and steroids.

At Middletown High School, officers in the Students Against Destructive Decisions club say that they don’t put much stock in the survey’s results.

‘‘Some people probably answered it honestly, but there are probably more that didn’t because their maturity level was not as high to take it seriously,” said junior Lindsey Kessler, who took the survey last year.

The same sentiment was evident among the officers of Gov. Thomas Johnson High School’s Students Helping Other People club.

‘‘I think some took it as a joke,” said junior Bianca Vitarello. ‘‘Maybe some didn’t answer seriously because they feared a teacher might recognize their handwriting and maybe others just thought it was a waste of time.”

As for the results, especially the use of marijuana, students had little problem believing that 24 percent of seniors reported using the drug in the last 30 days, a 5 percent increase from the test’s last distribution in 2002.

Students at both schools noted the ease in accessing marijuana, with some saying its use is becoming as common as alcohol.

Middletown High senior Emily Oppel said this increased use could even be seen in the classroom.

‘‘I think it is easier to get away with,” she said. ‘‘Some of the time, kids come to school high because they won’t get caught as opposed to coming to school drunk.”

Also popular among seniors and even sixth- and eighth-grade students, according to the survey, is the use of inhalants, such as gases, glues and aerosols. As compared to Frederick County students in 2002, use of inhalants rose as much as 4 percent among students in eighth grade and 2 percent among seniors in high school.

TJ High junior Bilguujin Dorjsuren said younger students may be finding this as a popular way to get high because they can’t access other drugs. Middletown High senior Lorraine Brantner said for older students, it’s an easy way to get high and is ‘‘a growing fad.”

Another popular fad, said Brantner, is ‘‘robo-tripping,” or the use of Robitussin taken in large doses to achieve a high. Others in the SADD club acknowledge that has become popular as the medicine is easy to purchase at any pharmacy.

With ease of access comes increased use, said students, including the most common substance used both in Frederick County and in the state: alcohol.

While students at both Middletown High and TJ High acknowledged that students drink, the frequency of binge drinking outlined in the survey did raise eyebrows. Among seniors taking the survey, 36 percent said they had five or more servings of alcohol in the same occasion in the last 30 days.

Leslie Bolen, a science teacher at TJ High and advisor for the SHOP club, admitted that while she doesn’t know a lot about what students do outside her classroom, she thinks that this particular survey response is inaccurate.

‘‘The binge drinking number is very fictitious,” she said. ‘‘I think it’s a case of being able to say ‘Oh yeah, I did that,’ but I think the percentage given is grossly off.”

For members of the SADD club at Middletown, perhaps the biggest oversight in the survey is that few are reading the other side of the statistics.

‘‘When you look at this, it tells you who does this stuff,” Kessler said. ‘‘It doesn’t show you who doesn’t do this. It doesn’t give credit to those who are making good decisions.”

Giving advice, not criticism

While not completely sold on the results of the survey, students at both schools are sure that peer-to-peer messages work to deter some destructive habits.

Middletown High has one of the only remaining SADD clubs in the county’s high schools.

Oppel said the group, nearly 40 strong, works to get out information about keeping other students safe in a number of situations, including use of drugs and alcohol.

‘‘It’s high school. ... We realize that people drink and do drugs, but I hope we can help them make smarter decisions, like finding a safe ride home,” she said.

Past events for the club include last year’s ‘‘grim reaper” day when students were chosen to ‘‘die” as a result of drunk driving, drug use and other substance-related incidents.

Brantner added that there will always be teenagers who ‘‘set out to get drunk or get high,” but hopefully, SADD’s message reaches some classmates.

‘‘Maybe if one person hears the message and it hits home, then that’s OK,” she said. ‘‘Even if we get one or two kids to make better choices that is still a good job. It’s better than none.”

At TJ High and at a number of other schools, SADD groups have turned into Students Helping Other People (SHOP) clubs in the last five years or so, blending prevention messages and community service. In addition to participating in the recent anti-drug Red Ribbon Week, the group also educates on the negative effects of tobacco each spring as part of the Great American Smoke-out.

TJ High junior Silpa Yalamanchili said that the goal is not to preach to fellow students, but instead give proper information and let them make their own decisions.

‘‘For me, I want to know the effects of what I’m doing and the whole story...not just the bad side to everything and then I can decide what’s right for me,” she said.

http://www.gazette.net/stories/111005/fred...232_31893.shtml (http://www.gazette.net/stories/111005/fredcou203232_31893.shtml)

Blue Bear
11-11-2005, 10:58 AM
you know.. it might not help but why don't they start making things for people to do instead of use drugs?

i mean.. honostly one of the funnest _free_ things to do here is walk around the mall.. being that alot of kids don't seem to have money (yeah they should get a job but they don't) it leads to stealing..

so clearly.. not having shit to do leads to criminal activity.. the funnest cheapest thing to do here is probably pool.. but not many people like pool...

what is the cause of drug use? that's a good question bbear let's post and find out

Arm
11-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Blue Bear@Nov 11 2005, 09:58 AM
you know.. it might not help but why don't they start making things for people to do instead of use drugs?
Sex? :)

Yeah, I wish. :(

sherpa101
11-13-2005, 12:20 PM
I live like a mile away from gaithersburg, meh.... In North Potomac, MOCO!!!!

c0smoline
11-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Gah I hate those SADD assholes. I mean, don't get me wrong, their hearts are in the right places, but sometimes they can be downright annoying. We do that "dead day" thing at school every year, too. It's kinda neat, but it doesn't really convey a good message at all.

Arm
11-13-2005, 07:58 PM
What the hell is dead day? That sounds so cultish. Like reading the side of a Dr. Bronners bottle of soap. :(

sherpa101
11-14-2005, 03:43 PM
for dead day, they took kids out of class and put makeup on them that made them look like zombies and then sent them back to class, i didnt get it.

Arm
11-14-2005, 05:33 PM
OOOH zombies, how fucking scary. :shake: A (not so)little girl wearing a white night gown and with her hair covering her face is 100x scarier than any zombie. B) Well, unless I saw a literal zombie in real life! :cry:

Monoliath
11-16-2005, 07:39 PM
No matter what legislation gets passed, how much society develops, how much social reform takes place, how big anti-drug programs get, people will always want to get high.

History shows us this blatantly.

...and why do you ask? I feel, because current reality is a pathetic representation of our true potential as human beings and our innate spirituality. We crave something higher and beyond because often, it's such a poor pathetic exscuse for human spirit and expression, the fish bowls that we swim in for our daily lives.

sherpa101
11-17-2005, 07:02 PM
the program wasnt really anti drug, it was anti intoxicated driving

Nocturne
11-18-2005, 06:14 PM
I always fucking hated those school surveys, mostly because they actually forced all students to take them without any choice in the matter. I always refused or left it blank since they were anonymous, but it also pissed me off how some students seemed to enjoy them as a form of bragging.

trixieann
11-20-2005, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Arm@Nov 13 2005, 07:58 PM
What the hell is dead day? That sounds so cultish. Like reading the side of a Dr. Bronners bottle of soap. :(
But HELL YEAH, Dr. Bronner makes one mean bottle of soap!

Especially the Peppermint Hemp Castille kind. :pr0zac:

~trix~

Arm
11-20-2005, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by trixieann+Nov 20 2005, 02:29 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (trixieann @ Nov 20 2005, 02:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Arm@Nov 13 2005, 07:58 PM

Especially the Peppermint Hemp Castille kind. :pr0zac: [/b][/quote]
What a fucking coincidence, thats the EXACT kind of Castille soap I bought. The smell is too strong though. :crazy:

trixieann
11-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Arm+Nov 20 2005, 03:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Arm @ Nov 20 2005, 03:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by -trixieann@Nov 20 2005, 02:29 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--Arm@Nov 13 2005, 07:58 PM

Especially the Peppermint Hemp Castille kind. :pr0zac:
What a fucking coincidence, thats the EXACT kind of Castille soap I bought. The smell is too strong though. :crazy: [/b][/quote]
Yeah the smell is strong, but it works really great as a body wash if you have a little loofah thingy... It makes you tingle for about a half hour after you've rinsed it off.... Good stuff....

But back to the topic....

~trix~

Eloivore
11-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by trixieann@Nov 20 2005, 12:42 PM
Yeah the smell is strong, but it works really great as a body wash if you have a little loofah thingy...
DILUTE! DILUTE! OK! OK!

Saint Ide
11-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by sherpa101@Nov 13 2005, 12:20 PM
I live like a mile away from gaithersburg, meh.... In North Potomac, MOCO!!!!
I live in Frederick County MD (my dad lives near you sort of, in germantown). I didn't go to TJ or middletown and take this survey but this is cool anyway since its so freakin close to me.

Rudyska
11-20-2005, 11:56 PM
I've taken those more than once during my middle school and high school years. At the time I had never even touched a drug before, only alcohol. I never had a problem taking the test though, and if I had to again I wouldn't care anyway since they're anonymous.

JayLeno
11-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by c0smoline@Nov 13 2005, 05:08 PM
Gah I hate those SADD assholes. I mean, don't get me wrong, their hearts are in the right places, but sometimes they can be downright annoying. We do that "dead day" thing at school every year, too. It's kinda neat, but it doesn't really convey a good message at all.
Haha... I always wondered what impact this little charade was supposed to have on the student body...

It's just distracting...