View Full Version : Mother explains horrors of local OTC drug abuse

Ubiquitous
11-10-2005, 05:40 AM
UPPER FREEHOLD — It’s in many medicine cabinets. It can be purchased easily at any pharmacy or supermarket. And, according to one local mother, its abuse among local youth is widespread.

It is called Triple C (CCC), a nickname for the cough medicine Coricidin HBP Cold & Cough, the most popular brand of dextromethorphan (DXM) and chlorpheniramine maleate that is abused, according to the coricidin.org Web site. While abusers take huge doses of the medication for its psychedelic effects, the Web site states, side effects may include nausea, vomiting, irregular heartbeat, loss of consciousness and death.

Corinne Szydlowski has experienced problems with her oldest son, Nicholas, 18, because of Triple C. She said her son would come home from school around 2:30 p.m., go to his room and not come out again until 6 a.m., when he had to leave for school again.

“I was unable to wake him,” Szydlowski said. “In the beginning, I thought he is a teenager who is tired, who needs sleep and who’s simply growing.”

When her son’s routine did not change, Szydlowski said she started to question him.

She said she tried to tell her children not to fall into the dark world of drugs.

“Once it happens, it’s a hard road ahead of you,” Szydlowski said. “This is a fight that very often can’t be beat. I am trying, and it is on my mind 24 hours a day.”

While she asks herself what she might have done differently, she wants to warn other parents about the dangers of abusing over-the-counter (OTC) medication.

Szydlowski believes that there is a huge drug abuse problem in the community. While most parents are familiar with alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, heroin and OxyContin, she said, they may not be aware of the dangers of Triple C.

Kids have also nicknamed DXM Robo, Skittles, Rojo, Dex, Tussin and Vitamin D.

“DXM abuse is called ‘robotripping’ or ‘tussing,’ Szydlowski said. “Users might be called ‘syrup heads’ or ‘robotards,’ ” she said.

According to Szydlowski, Coricidin, which comes in tiny red pills, is the most popular brand for abusers.

“In my research, I have been told by several pharmacists that any over-the-counter medication [used] for the purpose of cough suppressant is the one to stay away from,” she said.

When DXM mixes with other drugs, such as NyQuil, Robitussin or alcohol, the side effects increase.

“This particular brand, Coricidin, is specific to patients with high blood pressure,” Szydlowski said. “Therefore, it makes blood pressure lower.”

When a person with normal or low blood pressure takes DXM, according to Szydlowski, his or her blood pressure can lower to the point where they become extremely fatigued.

She said if an abuser takes a lot of the pills at one time, the drug “could put you in a coma.”

“It could make your heart stop,” she said.

Users of Triple C have described the drug’s effects as “numbness in the feet and hands” and “numbness that slowly travels throughout the body, making the user feel as if he or she is floating,” according to Szydlowski.

“It has been called the poor man’s Ecstasy,” Szydlowski said. “[The feeling] lasts for about three hours and then [the user] falls asleep for many hours.”

Szydlowski added, “If I take one dose of NyQuil, I feel similar to this. I can only imagine how one feels when taking 10 times the normal dosage.”

A normal dose of DXM is 15 to 30 milligrams. Mind-altering effects can occur at doses as low as 100 milligrams, she said. Abusers she has spoken with have consumed as much as 6 ounces of cough syrup with eight to 10 pills, resulting in a dose of 240-360 milligrams, she said.

Because this type of medication does not show up on regular drug tests, Szydlowski said, kids who may be receiving outpatient care or other treatment can use Triple C and still pass drugs tests.

“They beat the system,” she said. “The end result could be death.”

According to the Web site coricidin.org, a large number of hospitalizations — and even deaths — have resulted from people taking Coricidin as a recreational source of DXM. It states that Coricidin appears to be more dangerous as a source of DXM than OTC medicines that contain only dextromethorphan, such as Robitussin Maximum Strength Cough Syrup, or DexAlone, which is the only gelcap containing DXM that is sold in the United States.

Coricidin is produced by Schering-Plough.

Schering-Plough spokeswoman Julie Lux said there are 125 OTC medications containing dextromethorphan.

Lux said her company is working with the Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA) and the Partnership for a Drug-Free America, among other groups, and with retail partners on a variety of educational programs to curb the problem at the retail level.

“We are actively aware of all reports [of abuse], and they are taken very seriously,” she said.

Liz Rudder works with adolescent substance abusers at CPC Behavioral Healthcare Inc. in Middletown. She said 80 percent of the children they see at CPC have used Triple C, and 20 percent use it regularly.

“It’s so readily available,” she said.

Rudder said parents are often unaware of the abuse of such products. She said parents who are very alert and question everything their child does may notice the use of OTC medications, but others don’t notice the excessive use of cough syrup or other drugs available OTC.

Besides the short-term effects, Rudder said long-term effects of DXM abuse include extreme irritability, increased defiance, lack of concentration and behavioral problems.

For more information, visit www.antidrug.com or www.drugfreeamerica.com/DXM.

http://examiner.gmnews.com/news/2005/1110/...t_Page/040.html (http://examiner.gmnews.com/news/2005/1110/Front_Page/040.html)

It is called Triple C (CCC), a nickname for the cough medicine Coricidin HBP Cold & Cough, the most popular brand of dextromethorphan (DXM) and chlorpheniramine maleate that is abused, according to the coricidin.org

They don't mention anything about the dangers of CPM and DXM howeaver, they continue to use 'DXM' and 'CCCs' interchangebly throughout the article.

When DXM mixes with other drugs, such as NyQuil, Robitussin or alcohol, the side effects increase.

Is it safe to mix 20ml of Robitussin with my 300mg of DXM?

Abusers she has spoken with have consumed as much as 6 ounces of cough syrup with eight to 10 pills, resulting in a dose of 240-360 milligrams, she said. 6oz of cough syrup WITH 8 to 10 pills? 8 cccs are 240 mg itself.

Oh, wait... According to the Web site coricidin.org, a large number of hospitalizations — and even deaths — have resulted from people taking Coricidin as a recreational source of DXM. It states that Coricidin appears to be more dangerous as a source of DXM than OTC medicines that contain only dextromethorphan, such as Robitussin Maximum Strength Cough Syrup, or DexAlone, which is the only gelcap containing DXM that is sold in the United States.

They do mention that.

Arm
11-10-2005, 08:23 AM
Well Bobs famous again. He should pat himself on the back for his limitless Googlebombing talent. You beat out Streetdrugs.org for dxm but lost to Erowid.

This article pisses me off because it's the first dxm "abuse" article where it tries to make dex look evil and useless in FDA approved doses. You "cant" feel a psychoactive dose from a normal dose. If you do then your liver is Teh SUX0RZ and you better not take too much.

Kids have also nicknamed DXM Robo, Skittles, Rojo, Dex, Tussin and Vitamin D.
Vitamin D. :pr0zac: Robolar, Roboset, Dextroline, Ketamethorphan. :pr0zac: :pr0zac: :sly:

“It has been called the poor man’s Ecstasy,” Szydlowski said. “[The feeling] lasts for about three hours and then [the user] falls asleep for many hours.”
Bullfuckingshit, I cant fall asleep for shit after dexing for like, several hours afterwords. Unless I take some nice antipsychotics and wash 'em pills down with some alcohol.

When a person with normal or low blood pressure takes DXM, according to Szydlowski, his or her blood pressure can lower to the point where they become extremely fatigued.
SECOND WORST.RESEARCH.EVER, high doses of DXM and CPM lowering blood pressure? Yeah fucking right. :flame: :shake:

Szydlowski added, “If I take one dose of NyQuil, I feel similar to this. I can only imagine how one feels when taking 10 times the normal dosage.”
You have a psychedelic experience from an FDA approved dosage of Nyquil? Woah, I wish DXM was that potent. Or are you like my mother where every drug you take (including stimulants and drugs that don't cross the blood-brain barrier) makes you tired and your thinking thats what the psychoactive dose of DXM feels like?

Users of Triple C have described the drug’s effects as “numbness in the feet and hands” and “numbness that slowly travels throughout the body, making the user feel as if he or she is floating,” according to Szydlowski.
I describe it as being WHERE YOUR FUCKING LIFE IS NOT REAL BUT A DREAM AND YOU ARE AN ENTITY LIVING IN A DREAM WORLD THAT YOU WOKE UP FROM! Though your milage will vary. :magnus_grey:

Abusers she has spoken with have consumed as much as 6 ounces of cough syrup with eight to 10 pills, resulting in a dose of 240-360 milligrams, she said.
I drank 10 fucking ounces of Robo and took nearly 900 mg. Tell that to the kiddies. I was Leary of Timothy. :thumbsup:

Turn offfffffff your mind, relax and float down streammmmmmmmm,
It isssssss nooooottt dyinggggggg, it is not dying

Lay down al thoughts, surrender to the void,
It is shiningggggggggg, it is shiningggggg.

But even my 900 mg makes me a lightweight compared to that anonymous coward in the FAQ who said he saw the fifth plateau and took over 3000 mg of dex. Then theres the person who claims to have taken 12 grams over the course of several hours. :priate_smile:

Besides the short-term effects, Rudder said long-term effects of DXM abuse include extreme irritability, increased defiance, lack of concentration and behavioral problems.
I am a dexhead butI AM NOT FUCKING IRRITABLE YOU FUCKING TEMPERENCE NARC BITCH WHO CANT TELL MILD SEDATION FROM FIRST GENERATION HISTAMINES FROM THE EFFECTS OF THE GREATEST PSYCHEDELIC DRUG THAT ALSO HAPPENS TO SUPPRESSES COUGHS!!!!!! bah. :nitin:

Eloivore
11-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Worst. Research. EVAR. http://70.61.176.90/misc/brickwall.gif

BONERSTORM
11-10-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by bwhite@Nov 10 2005, 08:41 AM
Worst. Research. EVAR. http://70.61.176.90/misc/brickwall.gif
ahhh mothers of irresponsible drugs users.. the most accurate clinicians :sleepy:

AnotherDude
11-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by LlamaOfDeath@Nov 10 2005, 05:40 AM

Increased defiance? My god we have people with growing personalities? No longer able to take shit from arrogant fucktards? I dunno thought it was funny that "increased defiance" was listed as an effect of a drug.

Rodion Romanovich
11-10-2005, 03:15 PM
when DXM is combined with Robitussin or Nyquil...?
heee heee

strange_r
11-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by bwhite@Nov 10 2005, 08:41 AM
Worst. Research. EVAR.
You say that in every thread, you old robotard.

Eloivore
11-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by butterfly_brain+Nov 10 2005, 03:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (butterfly_brain @ Nov 10 2005, 03:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bwhite@Nov 10 2005, 08:41 AM
Worst. Research. EVAR.
You say that in every thread, you old robotard. [/b][/quote]
And it's true every time, grasshopper.

Tyutchev
11-10-2005, 05:44 PM
This is honestly one of the stupidest articles I have ever seen in regards to DXM. Almost every fact presented here is wrong. I hate this fucking bullshit. Why can't they leave my precious baby alone?

Infamous Blitz
11-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Jesus, this article might have actually changed my views on DXM. IT IS TEH DEVIL DAMMIT!

According to the Web site coricidin.org, a large number of hospitalizations — and even deaths — have resulted from people taking Coricidin as a recreational source of DXM. It states that Coricidin appears to be more dangerous as a source of DXM than OTC medicines that contain only dextromethorphan, such as Robitussin Maximum Strength Cough Syrup, or DexAlone, which is the only gelcap containing DXM that is sold in the United States.

'Cause Robitussin Cough Gels aren't gelcaps or anything, right?

greengovernment
11-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by AnotherDude+Nov 10 2005, 01:11 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AnotherDude @ Nov 10 2005, 01:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--LlamaOfDeath@Nov 10 2005, 05:40 AM

Increased defiance? My god we have people with growing personalities? No longer able to take shit from arrogant fucktards? I dunno thought it was funny that "increased defiance" was listed as an effect of a drug. [/b][/quote]
This got a hearty chuckle out of me as well.

Who knows more than Dr. Mom, right guys???
This is honestly one of the stupidest articles I have ever seen in regards to DXM. Almost every fact presented here is wrong. I hate this fucking bullshit. Why can't they leave my precious baby alone

As soon as I read this the lyrics to Buddy Holly popped in my head.
Originally posted by Buddy Holly - Weezer
What's with these homies, dissin' my girl
Why do they gotta front
What did we ever do to these guys
That made them so violent

Woo-hoo, but you know I'm yours
Woo-hoo, and I know you're mine
Woo-hoo, and that's for all time

Woo-ee-oo I look just like Buddy Holly
Oh-oh, and you're Mary Tyler Moore
I don't care what they say about us anyway
I don't care 'bout that

Don't you ever fear, I'm always near
I know that you need help
Your tongue is twisted, your eyes are slit
You need a guardian

Bang! Bang a knock on the door another big bang and you're down on the floor
oh no! What do I do?
Don't look now but I lost my shoe I can't run and I can't kick
What's a matter babe are you feelin' sick?
What's a matter, what's a matter, what's a matter you?
What's a matter babe, are you feelin' blue? oh-oh!