View Full Version : Drug problem hides among the mundane

drdĒv€
10-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Sunday, October 2, 2005

We've got numbers. We just don't have statistics.

"It's right under your nose, but you can't see it," said State Police Lt. Dennis Brooks.

As leader of the Middlesex District Attorney's office special investigations unit, he's trained to notice drug deals going down.

He's also trained to notice shifts in drug use.

He can tell you how many methamphetamine labs have been discovered in the region this year. Three. One in Lowell, one in Everett, one in Chelmsford.

He can tell you "New England is the number one region for heroin addicts" and "the traditional cocaine and heroin routes are clearly entrenched here."

He can tell you "most of your heroin addicts out there are 18 to 25." And he can tell you "it's just sad to see a whole new generation of addicts."

But drug dealers don't release quarterly sales reports, police don't know about every user, and hospitals don't have to report all overdoses to police.

That makes it hard to see the big picture.

What's out there? What's changed in the past year or two, since we first noticed our suburban high schoolers turning to heroin because it was cheap and easy to get?

"The biggest things right now are Ecstacy and Oxy(Contin)," said Bill Phillips, president of New Beginnings, a Framingham-based "comprehensive wellness education initiative for schools, parents and the community."

"Things go in cycles," said Phillips. When parents, police and school officials take the heroin threat seriously, "heroin goes down" but cocaine use goes up.

Alcohol and pot are a constant.

"Kids don't think beer and pot are dangerous," said Phillips.

Then there are "over-the-counter drugs, Coricidin, cough medicines." Kids "go in there, get a bottle of NyQuil, chug it down. Kids are chewing five or six (Coricidin pills) and buzzing their brains out." Even alcohol-heavy vanilla extract can be used as a drug. "Kids chug it down and it smells like they've had the best breath mint in the world."

But how can you measure how much vanilla extract is going into cakes and how much is going into kids' mouths nationwide?

Local cops can tell you what's on the streets.

"We see a lot of crack," said Marlborough Detective Sgt. Stephen McCurley. "It's gone back from powder cocaine to crack."

Heroin use has also increased, "which has a huge effect on crime in the city," he said. Crack and heroin addicts need money to feed their habit, bringing more burglaries and armed robberies.

In Ashland, "what's mainly used here is marijuana and cocaine," said Police Chief Roy Melnick.

"We still see some marijuana, some cocaine, crack, some heroin," said Milford Chief Thomas O'Loughlin. But if there's a trend in Milford, it's less marijuana and "more of the harder drugs," he said, and they're "very inexpensive and much more potent."

Down the road, "our guys are coming in with a lot of marijuana arrests," said Franklin Deputy Police Chief Stephan Semerjian. "Marijuana and alcohol."

"Marijuana, in the past, it was get the giggles, get a Number 2 Meal at McDonald's," said Phillips, the Framingham counselor. Now, "it's psychoactive. It's a higher grade of marijuana."

"Marijuana is the most frequent drug found" by police in Sudbury, said Detective Sgt. John Harris.

Framingham and Blackstone police both said there's heroin, marijuana and cocaine around.

"We'd be sticking our head in the sand if we said it isn't around here," said Holliston Chief James Peterson.

"The sad reality is anything you want is available," said Franklin's Semerjian.

"You go to any barroom in America and someone will hook you up," said Brooks.

So what's the answer?

Like the figures on drugs, there isn't one.

There are many.

Brooks likes Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey's proposal to require hospitals to report all overdoses to the state, "so we can get a true picture of what's going on."

Phillips would like more education and support programs.

"The whole thing is prevention and education," he said.

"It takes everyone" to fight drugs, said Brooks.

It takes parents. It takes police. It takes programs in schools and laws on the books that make it tougher on drug dealers and easier for those who sincerely want help.

But the first step in the fight is to realize how big the problem is.

Every addiction "affects nine or 10 people in the family," said Brooks. Add in the crime victims.

That adds up to a pretty big problem indeed.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/columnis...415&format=text (http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/columnists/view.bg?articleid=110415&format=text)

cykros
10-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Well, sure wish I knew where to find this "everything" which is available. Hell, it took me 2 weeks just to find a bag of weed since coming back to college here (massachusetts). Even Hempfest in Boston was relatively dry. Also wouldn't mind meeting some of these 18-25 year old heroin addicts...while junkies aren't the greatest people in the world, they sure beat your standard beer loving college student who does less for society than a rotted out stump. Much more interesting to be around as well, and I'm damn sick of boring people. Bring on the crackheads!

silent voice of seduction
10-04-2005, 04:37 AM
"The sad reality is anything you want is available," said Franklin's Semerjian.
Oh. So how long has that war on drugs been going on? How many billions have been spent (the total is approaching 1 trillion I'm sure)? One million non-violent offenders are behind bars for years. The result: Anything you want is available. We must surely lock up more people!

"You go to any barroom in America and someone will hook you up," said Brooks.
Could that mean people just don't buy into the drugs-are-bad propaganda?

So what's the answer?
Lock up more people!

Like the figures on drugs, there isn't one.

There are many.
There is one that works, strangely though it is the one never talked about in the media.

Brooks likes Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey's proposal to require hospitals to report all overdoses to the state, "so we can get a true picture of what's going on."
I wonder if the data is going to be anonymized.

Phillips would like more education and support programs.

"The whole thing is prevention and education," he said.
Hey, he makes sense for a change.

"It takes everyone" to fight drugs, said Brooks.
No, Mr. Brooks. Just a few lines above, you have acknowledged the war is unwinnable. Now draw the conclusion. You cannot fight against drugs. You can only fight against civil liberty and personal freedom, which is what you are doing.

It takes parents. It takes police. It takes programs in schools and laws on the books that make it tougher on drug dealers and easier for those who sincerely want help.
Tougher on drug dealers? They're all going to jail already. You just can't catch them all because there's this pesky little right called privacy.

But the first step in the fight is to realize how big the problem is.
I summarize: $1 trillion spent, 1 million dealers, users and bystanders behind bars, and "anything you want is available".

That adds up to a pretty big problem indeed.

torque
10-04-2005, 06:00 AM
Typically, the idea that someone can use drugs responsibly and in moderation is not even mentioned. The public could be taught to discriminate between use, misuse, and abuse. People could learn to watch their own behavior for signs of negative consequences or habitual use. People could learn to order their drug behavior so that they can work jobs and go to school. Society could recognize people who know how to balance recreational drug use with a creative and productive life and encourage similar behavior. Instead, let's just keep doing what we know doesn't work and keep putting our citizens in jail!

John|OTCfiend
10-07-2005, 11:19 AM
"Marijuana, in the past, it was get the giggles, get a Number 2 Meal at McDonald's," said Phillips, the Framingham counselor. Now, "it's psychoactive. It's a higher grade of marijuana."

wow marijuana is psychoactive these days? back in the day we used to smoke it for the smooth flavor.

enslavedyouth
10-10-2005, 10:09 PM
i live in framingham. HUGE number of junkies and crackheads in town and i HATE HATE HATE the local police for what they've done to 2 of my best friends. one of my best friends had a bag of weed planted in his pocket by gutwell of the local gang in control, the fuckin PD. anothers in jail as well. so ya may the framingham police rot in hell.

zerachiel
11-26-2005, 12:57 PM
heh, Bill Phillips actually came to my highschool (I went to highschool on Cape Cod, that little arm out in the Atlantic jutting out of MA) a few times. He was crazy as fuck in person. Funny thing is, what he told us was actually more of an impact on me than any full-of-shit DARE classes they made us take. He actually has experience with what he's talking about, since he was a heavy drug user in the past, so what he said had more merit simply based on that fact.

Ubiquitous
11-27-2005, 12:12 AM
Every time a drug article comes in all you people do is tear it apart and critisize it. My turn.

Then there are "over-the-counter drugs, Coricidin, cough medicines." Kids "go in there, get a bottle of NyQuil, chug it down. Kids are chewing five or six (Coricidin pills) and buzzing their brains out." Even alcohol-heavy vanilla extract can be used as a drug. "Kids chug it down and it smells like they've had the best breath mint in the world."

Chewing up five or six? I liked to lick the sweet sugary coating on the outside of it, but never have I chewed one up. 180mg isn't what I would call "buzzing their brains out". I can't even imagine what they would write in there if they've seen how much cough syrup and pills the average DV'r takes.

And chugging down vanilla extract gives minty fresh breath? I have horrible breath and I must try this. But I would think that it would make you have a deep, heavy, dark, vanilla scent that would make one vomit from the potency.

And this article is just so optimistic...

Shadow
11-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by InsidiousMotive@Nov 26 2005, 10:12 PM
Chewing up five or six? I liked to lick the sweet sugary coating on the outside of it, but never have I chewed one up. 180mg isn't what I would call "buzzing their brains out". I can't even imagine what they would write in there if they've seen how much cough syrup and pills the average DV'r takes.
my god... if they only knew what a gram was like. or 2. or 3.

ferk
11-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by drdĒv€@Oct 3 2005, 07:30 PM
Even alcohol-heavy vanilla extract can be used as a drug. "Kids chug it down and it smells like they've had the best breath mint in the world."

L-O-L