View Full Version : Teen overdoses on cold medicine

Ubiquitous
09-18-2005, 12:13 AM
[B]Teen Overdoses On Cold Medicine[/B[
Triple C Apparently Caused 15-Year-Old To Lose Consciousness

POSTED: 4:43 pm CDT September 17, 2005
UPDATED: 5:07 pm CDT September 17, 2005

OMAHA, Neb. -- A 15-year-old girl is hospitalized after overdosing on Coricidin Cough and Cold medicine. The over-the-counter drug, sometimes called "triple C," can cause hallucinations. Teenagers have made "skittling" a popular pastime.

Samantha DeCamp is in intensive care after taking too much Coricidin. Her father, Patrick, said he never saw it coming. Now, he wants to prevent it from happening to other kids. He said his daughter took about 40 pills and passed out in a friend's bathroom.

Samantha DeCamp is a junior in high school and an honor student. She's now in intensive care. Her father is watching over her hospital bed after he was recently released from a hospital himself.

"She'd stopped breathing at one point. They had to put her on a ventilator," Patrick DeCamp said.

His daughter has turned the corner, and is now recovering. Patrick said he made a startling discovery when he took a break from his daughter's side and searched her bedroom at home.

"There's about 58 boxes in here," he said.

Patrick DeCamp found Coricidin, all containing the ingredient dextromethorphan, which causes hallucinations when taken in large doses. At $6 a box, it's a cheap high for teens and it's available over the counter. DeCamp said retailers should be more cautious about selling it to teens.

"If they look underage, ID them for their cough and cold pills," he said.

Substance abuse experts agree. Kersten Borer, of ABH Health Services, said Corcidin's active ingredient concentration can make overdoses harmful enough to cause heart problems.

"Coricidin has more milligrams per dose of DXM than other over-the-counter cough suppressants, so that makes it even more dangerous," Borer said.

Borer said some retailers have noted the increasing abuse by teenagers, and taken steps to monitor its sale.

Patrick DeCamp said Samantha got her Coricidin at an Omaha Target store. Calls to Target headquarters in Minnesota seeking comment were not returned.

A local pharmacist said sale of Coricidin is not regulated in the way that other medications, such as Claritin, are so people are able to buy large quantities of Coricidin during one store visit.

Samantha DeCamp is responsive, and she's expected to pull through, according to her father.

http://www.theomahachannel.com/health/4986...908/detail.html (http://www.theomahachannel.com/health/4986908/detail.html)

Cameron
09-18-2005, 12:21 AM
silly girl :shake: ,it's always coriciden, giving dxm a bad name.

phantom_thief
09-18-2005, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by twix@Sep 17 2005, 11:21 PM
silly girl :shake: ,it's always coriciden, giving dxm a bad name.
Really its just the sheer irresponsibility of the actions taken, not so much the medicine. Coricidin just happens to be a very easy and readily available method here in the US, and kids are stupid...I remember being a stupid kid and trying to smoke eucalyptus (sp?) leaves for no apparent reason, I wasn't even trying to get high, just smoking them for the hell of it. Take that mentallity and couple it with a powerful chemical, and you are just asking for problems.

Arm
09-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Damn 58 boxes of Coricidin. I dont have that many cough syrup boxes. :( Yet. :thumbsup:

And I don't get carding people under 18 for DXM. What about people over 18 who abuse DXM? I see theres a hole in your theory. :magnus_grey:

It's funny when they said that Coricidin is not regulated like Claritin is. Whoops dumbasses, Claritin is not restricted. I think you mean Sudafed. :magnus_grey: Any error you make in an argument hurts your credibility, no matter how small.

Monoliath
09-18-2005, 11:11 AM
58 BOXES OF MAD MAX'S!!! HOLY SHIT :nitin:

Hamletthunktoomuch
09-18-2005, 11:16 AM
lol, those were leftovers. She only did 40 pills. Retarded, yes, but not 58 boxes worth.

stem
09-18-2005, 11:34 AM
ugh i dont even want to think of taking 4 of those :cry: :puke:

i cant even take sudafeds because they look and taste like cors.

anyway it's a good thing she's still alive and one can only hope she learned a lesson :magnus_grey:

Kalu
09-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by phantom_thief@Sep 18 2005, 12:24 AM
...I remember being a stupid kid and trying to smoke eucalyptus (sp?) leaves for no apparent reason, I wasn't even trying to get high, just smoking them for the hell of it.
man, I did exactly the same thing when i was like 12!

CRIMSONGHOST
09-18-2005, 12:36 PM
ANyone noticed how they never mentioned CPM. They mentioned high doses of DXM but didnt talk of the cpm at all.

That alot of CCCs.

Thats 27,840mgs of DXM. 58boxes-928pills

EternalMetal
09-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by CRIMSONGHOST@Sep 18 2005, 11:36 AM
ANyone noticed how they never mentioned CPM. They mentioned high doses of DXM but didnt talk of the cpm at all.

That alot of CCCs.

Thats 27,840mgs of DXM. 58boxes-928pills
hell yea, shes not just a weekend doser, i tell you what. sorry papa, your daughter is HOOKED :P

and what a dumbass. why do people insist on doing coricidin? Cant they just think for a second? Obviously they heard about abusing cough medicine from someone else, at least they would know which ingredient gets them high. Its not like your gonna be like hmm, this pills has aspirin in it, im gonna pop 50. 50 aspirin would kill you, and most people know that. Stupid peope :shake:

Unnamed
09-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by CRIMSONGHOST@Sep 18 2005, 11:36 AM

yep ccc's are only more dangerous because they have 15mg more dxm per pill! Apparently kids dose by pill count alone and can't figure out how to take double the amount of gels then ccc's.

Shadow
09-18-2005, 02:00 PM
"There's about 58 boxes in here," he said.

Patrick DeCamp found Coricidin, all containing the ingredient dextromethorphan, which causes hallucinations when taken in large doses. At $6 a box, it's a cheap high for teens and it's available over the counter. DeCamp said retailers should be more cautious about selling it to teens.

$348 dollars later, and a nutsack dragging behind her tripping her every step of the way, the young girl has been reported to be saying "Whoa mannn".

cheep my ass

Coachg
09-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Just another stupid KID being allowed to make a bad name for us quasi-responsible drug users. Fuck her dad. Instead of going on a mission to make sure this doesn't happen to other kids, he ought to spend his energy building an actual relationship with his daughter. I simply refuse to believe that you can have a real relationship with someone and not realize SOMETHING was up when they are using that much DXM, much less CCC. This guy is an irresponsible father and is now going to add momentum to the WAR ON DRUGS which is as misguided an enterprise as is thinking sexual abstinence will be an effective method of birth control. Worse, it ends up negatively impacting my (and your) freedoms. Was there an email address for this guy? I didn't notice. Think I'll go look and see. I'd like to give him a piece of my mind.

newguy009
09-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Fuck this girls from my town, and their trying to get local targets to start carding minors. O well a few threatening calls and a couple good scare tactics should get him to stop his "mission". If nothing else works Ill take his side and just get the stores to put corciden behind the counter. Half the damn city knows about dxm because of my school and friends, and the half that actually know what dxm is know never to touch ccc. Anybody got any good advice for this kinda thing?

Arm
09-18-2005, 04:22 PM
So I was browsing around DXM journals the other day and found some groundbreaking information at the bad things Coricidin can do to people.

CCC's are the #1 leading cause of aids, consuming as few as 8 of the pills is enough to give a person the aids virus

there are also studies being done that seem to confirm that long term use of coro alters ones genes and will inevitably pass the homosexualality gene to there offspring

worthy of DARE :thumbsup:

Coachg
09-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Geez, wish I'd known. That explains so much. :crazy:

Cameron
09-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Arm@Sep 18 2005, 03:22 PM
So I was browsing around DXM journals the other day and found some groundbreaking information at the bad things Coricidin can do to people.

CCC's are the #1 leading cause of aids, consuming as few as 8 of the pills is enough to give a person the aids virus

there are also studies being done that seem to confirm that long term use of coro alters ones genes and will inevitably pass the homosexualality gene to there offspring

worthy of DARE :thumbsup:
ahahaaha, yes Dare is the biggest waste of time.....

Poindextro
09-19-2005, 05:29 PM
ahahaaha, yes Dare is the biggest waste of time.....

Now I wouldn't say that. If it hadn't been for DARE I'd probably never have known about half the ways I do to get high. After DARE I had a whole shopping list of things I wanted to try!

Arm
09-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Man I wish I had DARE. :( All the classes I had where cops came in and taught were always somewhat reasonable. Or maybe I did get DARE but due to my behavior in elementary school (Arm was a bad boy, and still is :priate_smile: ), I was stuck in special education classes while the norms got to listen to the cops bullshit. :pr0zac:

JayMark
09-24-2005, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Arm@Sep 18 2005, 09:40 AM
And I don't get carding people under 18 for DXM.
Prehaps because 90%+ of the people who overdose on CCC are minors...

Yes I also think it's stupid to restrict DXM sales in normal conditions but seeing how DXM have done ravages in the USA, I'm starting to understand them and even agree.

I mean, fuck, if people don't want to understand and at least follow some basic rules, well I'm sorry but they are running after it.

Coachg
09-25-2005, 01:02 AM
Any follow up on this?

$H@P3$HYFTR3
09-29-2005, 02:49 PM
shoot ccctards in the forehead with shotguns. save the scene.

Walkaway
09-30-2005, 04:12 AM
shoot ccctards in the forehead with shotguns. save the scene.

I don't see how you being hospitalized for extremely irresponsible polydrug abuse helps to 'save the scene'.